Missing Hamilton

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tucson_whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Missing Hamilton

Post by tucson_whistler »

Yes, right now it is on a "police hold." I'm trying to find out what that means... but it seems in the short term it means he can't sell it. I'm not sure it means I can get it back, but the postal inspector told me they are going to press charges.
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Toonboog

Post by Toonboog »

Good to hear there's still hope of getting your flute back.

You're in real need of some good luck, since the Murray episode.

Hope this works out well for you.
tucson_whistler

Ok, for anyone still interested, I got the Hammy back today :)

It took numerous calls the the police, a friend called the postal inspector for me, and I emailed the Columbus PD detectives through the process at least once a week, but today I went and paid $20 to a pawn shop to get my Hammy back.

:)
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Well done! Way to stick in there. I wonder if they'll ever figure out who stole it...
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

:D :party: :thumbsup:
crickett

Post by crickett »

As the person who sent this flute, I can't tell you how happy I am that this turned out okay in the end. It was definitely time for t_w to have something go his way with a flute situation!

Thanks to the folks on this board who offered advice as we worked on getting this flute back, and especially to TWO TOOTS for initially alerting us to that ebay ad. What a great community this is.

Finally, there are a couple of things that I've learned through this ordeal that I want to mention:
First, if you planning on sending a flute somewhere, make sure that you have serial numbers recorded, or short of that, take some really good pictures of the flute--pictures that might help you prove to the police that someone is in possession of your flute. It can be nicks in the flute or unusual grain patterns or coloring around the embouchure, etc. But make sure you have some record of that sort. (BTW, t_w did have serial numbers, I think.)

Second, if you ship USPS, you should absolutely get tracking with signature confirmation. They screwed it up even though we had this, but without it we would have been even more ignored about the loss or the item.

Third, once USPS loses something they are supposed to be tracking, they become even more incompetent than they might ordinarily be (or they simply shift into covering-their-butts mode). I was told at various different points in my inquiries that (a) the recipient (i.e. t_w) had terminated the search and (b) that it had definitely been sent back to me--both of which were false. I can't be sure but it at least seemed as if they were lying to cover their butts and to avoid paying the $50 that tracked packages are insured for. So if you find yourself in a situation like this, do not assume that they are telling you the truth; keep pushing for what really happened as best you can. For example, if they say that it was definitely shipped back to you, ask them for evidence of this.

I should note that I have sent many flutes via USPS over the years without incident, and I am sure I will do so again. But I will be much more careful than I have been in the past about making sure I have ways to identify a flute that winds up on ebay or craigslist or wherever. And I will go into my dealing with USPS with much more skepticism that I might have in the past.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I don't understand why you had to pay the pawn shop, even if it was only $20... Shouldn't they be in trouble for accepting stolen merchandise?

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

plunk111 wrote:I don't understand why you had to pay the pawn shop, even if it was only $20... Shouldn't they be in trouble for accepting stolen merchandise?

Pat
At $20 I'd easily have done the same thing, just to secure the flute first and foremost. Then I'd turn my mind to prosecuting. If things go right, you'd get the $20 back, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
crickett

Post by crickett »

Yes, when you are looking at a loss of roughly $900, $20 seemed inconsequential. I told t_w at one point that I would be happy to pay the pawn shop $100 just to get the flute back and be done with the saga. But plunk111 is right that it seems unfair that t_w would have to pay anything. If anything, the pawn guy should be grateful at only losing $20. He after all did in fact receive stolen property. And it is very hard for me to imagine that he did not know that it was stolen, at least once he looked up the value of the flute. Maybe his knowledge that it was stolen is harder to prove, though....
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

crickett wrote:Yes, when you are looking at a loss of roughly $900, $20 seemed inconsequential. I told t_w at one point that I would be happy to pay the pawn shop $100 just to get the flute back and be done with the saga. But plunk111 is right that it seems unfair that t_w would have to pay anything. If anything, the pawn guy should be grateful at only losing $20. He after all did in fact receive stolen property. And it is very hard for me to imagine that he did not know that it was stolen, at least once he looked up the value of the flute. Maybe his knowledge that it was stolen is harder to prove, though....

If it was on "police hold" then how was it even available for sale to you? Maybe I am confused, but I thought that "police hold" would mean that you don't do anything with it until police get the situation sorted. I'm overjoyed to hear that you received your flute back, but, as a matter of principle, I would not let the issue drop there, both in regards to the pawnshop, as well as the thief.
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

Great to read the flute made it to the destination finally.

Inside the US it is worthwhile to insure a such a package for the full replacement value. In this case the USPS employee may not have sneered at the loss because $900 is way more than $50 (the min which is applied to all packages).

When shipping internationally, the insurance value is used to set tax / customs value so might result in unexpected extra fees.

If you are comfortable with this, I also recommend putting a phone number for the destination on the outside of the package. This has saved one of my shipments which in spite of very clear address label, was sent to the wrong place.

In North Carolina, the pawn shops by law must check and record the ID of the seller. In this case it would allow the police to track back at least the first party in the fraud / theft. Some thieves here now sell through a 3rd party (with a cut of the action) who actually walks into the pawn shop, but those 3rd parties are located pretty quickly. So most stolen goods go through craigslist, flea markets, in person sales, etc. Not the best place to sell a fine Irish flute.

All the best for joyful flute-playing on the new arrival.
L
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A little more background information about Postal Inspectors. If there is a chance this is suspected to be a "fidelity" loss, that is, a postal employee is suspected, the Inspectors will be extremely close mouthed. They will however be busily sending 'test' pieces by the suspected employee, some with radio transponders, at the same time subjecting the employee to intense video surveillance. Not a word will be said until clinching evidence is produced. I am told once a folder is opened on an employee they will keep it open for years. The theory is once crooked, always crooked.

Bpb
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
tucson_whistler

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread, but for those who might still be curious, the final determination by the postal inspectors/police was that it was stolen off my porch. Crickett paid for signed for delivery, but when I wasn't home the mailman left it on the porch anyway without a signature and somebody stole it off my porch.

The law in Ohio is evidently that you have to reimburse the pawn shop owners for their loss. The postal inspector was pretty frustrated by it; it was obvious to everyone that the pawn shop owner knew that the flute as stolen. But I'm trying to be philosophical about it; if the pawn shop owner hadn't have been a crook he would have paid the guy more for my flute which would have just ended up costing me more money. ;) Also, if he hadn't posted it to ebay I never would have found it. So thanks, Mr. crooked pawn shop owner!

;)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Just out of curiosity, did the USPS ever pay the $50 insurance that comes with Priority mail? That would at least cover what you had to pay Mr. Pawn Shop Owner.

Glad, at least, to hear that the flute eventually to to where it was supposed to go.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.