Billy Clifford Recording

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Billy Clifford Recording

Post by Steve Bliven »

Anyone have a source for the Billy Clifford et al recording, "Irish Traditional Flute Solos and Band Music from Kerry and Tipperary” either as Topic 12TS312 or Ossian: OSS 11?

The Ceol Alainn site doesn't seem functional any longer.

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Billy Clifford Recording

Post by kkrell »

The Ceol Alainn audio files for Billy Clifford are backed up here:

http://ceolalainn.breqwas.net/download/ ... 0Band%20M/

Move up the directory tree for the other artists.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thanks very much Kevin.

Best wishes.

Steve
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Really good stuff. It's on YouTube as well with what I assume is the album cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ms9p_ ... 86VFW8OULT

Looks like he's playing a Radcliffe system old flute. It's got low tuning (A=435?). Minimum key tapping as well. Some of the best non-simple system Irish flute playing I've heard.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr. Clifford has a more recent (although undated) recording out{ Echoes of Sliabh Luachra). From the notes, it appears he plays both a Radcliffe flute and a Boehm. It's interesting to compare/contrast his techniques with keyed and un-keyed simple system players. I've never seen a Radcliff in action nor have I played a Boehm so I don't have any feel for how one ornaments "in an Irish style" with these.

Nice tunes and good playing though.

Best wishes.

Steve
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steve Bliven wrote:Mr. Clifford has a more recent (although undated) recording out{ Echoes of Sliabh Luachra). From the notes, it appears he plays both a Radcliffe flute and a Boehm. It's interesting to compare/contrast his techniques with keyed and un-keyed simple system players. I've never seen a Radcliff in action nor have I played a Boehm so I don't have any feel for how one ornaments "in an Irish style" with these.

Nice tunes and good playing though.

Best wishes.

Steve
He seems to have equal facility with both fingerings, as he recorded a selection of 14 tracks/takes, from which to choose one for Wooden Flute Obsession. We agreed on one using the Boehm, as the Radcliff was a bit noisier mechanism, perhaps needing some adjustment. I might "sample" a bit of them for a comparison, although I wouldn't want to release for general distribution something he might not be entirely pleased with.

Looks like he used both flutes for different takes of:
The Portarlington/Connie O'Grady's/The Eavesdropper
The Skylark/The Galtee Reel

On the other material, there well might have been a reason for choosing one or the other flute as more appropriate for particular sets of tunes.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think there's another very very rare recording of himself and Julia Clifford. I have a memory of coming across an lp of the two of them once but it came at a price beyond what I'd be willing to pay for any lp. So I let it pass, never seen it before or since but would be very interested in hearing it.

FWIW, I have only seen him play one flute as far as I can remember, the one in the pics below:

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I think there's another very very rare recording of himself and Julia Clifford. I have a memory of coming across an lp of the two of them once but it came at a price beyond what I'd be willing to pay for any lp. So I let it pass, never seen it before or since but would be very interested in hearing it.

FWIW, I have only seen him play one flute as far as I can remember, the one in the pics below:
It would be interesting to see what that recording might have been. The "Irish Traditional Flute Solos and Band Music from Kerry and Tipperary” mentioned above includes some cuts with Julia Clifford and Catherine Ryan/Clifford. There is "Ceol as Sliabh Luachra" with Billy and Julia Clifford. There are a number of recordings that include the Star of Munster Trio. But it would be interesting to know if there is yet more hidden away.

That flute in the photos looks to be the Radcliffe. But on his more recent recording (why don't they date these things?) he seems to alternate between the Radcliffe and the Boehm.

Thanks for the photos.

Best wishes.

Steve

P.S. I wonder if Mr. Clifford chooses his outfits to coordinate with microphone colors. :D
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I suppose it would be this one. And looking at the listing on the session.org you can see why posting photos on the internet is nto a good idea, they will get robbed and re-used without permission, credit or payment. Bloody robbers.
My brain hurts

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

The flute in the photos above is a standard Böhm, not a Radcliff. (No "e"!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thanks Kevin and Jem for the clarifications.

Best wishes.

Steve
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

The recording with Julia "Ceol As Sliabh Luachra" can be downloaded here:

http://ceolalainn.breqwas.net/download/ ... 20Luachra/