Whistle dreams . . . got any to share?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle dreams . . . got any to share?

Post by mamakash »

I had a whistle dream last night . . . my second, to be exact. I must be hanging around this board to much . . . because I haven't been playing lately. In my dream, I walked into this dark, little shop(I have lots of dark dreams), and dug through a couple baskets of item near the front counter. What a dissapointment, no nice aromathery oils . . . but they did have cheap whistles, several in a basket. They must of been two dollars a piece, at most, and who would turn down a two dollar whistle? They were very slim, made of a brittle plastic that looked like ivory and nicely detailed. Alas, the holes weren't finished and were rough and small. Played nice, but I wasn't too impressed. It was awfully slim . . . but pretty for a few dollars. Pretty nice find.
I thought about this dream at work, but didn't have time to post. It's 9 o'clock at night as I type and the dream is still pretty clear in my head.
A while back, I had a dream about this amazing fat little black PVC flute with the coolest design for the flute head. I took my piccolo and whittled away at the head . . . kinda got it to be like my dream, but not quite. It's funny, but I think my dream flute might work if I had time to fool with a couple PVC heads.

Am I the only one dreaming of revolutionary whistle designs?
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Paul

Re: Whistle dreams . . . got any to share?

Post by Paul »

mamakash wrote: Am I the only one dreaming of revolutionary whistle designs?
A while back I posted some stuff about cultured industrial sapphire (Corundum) as a possible material for whistles. It is second in hardness only to diamonds. I thought that because of the crystaline structure of the material that it would make a nice whistle. I have no Idea how expensive it would be. I did e-mail a company in India about it - apparently they can fabricate anything you want from the stuff so long as the crystal is long enough, etc. - I never did hear back from them. Maybe I'll seriously persue that avenue one day after I retire from this job.

Michael Copeland will make you a whistle from any metal you want, say, 18K Rose or *Green* (yes, green) gold for example. Drooling on self... He will roll the tube from a sheet. (about $90.00 per square inch) A company that sells that type of metal is Hoover and Strong. www.hooverandstrong.com Cool site. You could even do a platinum one. :wink:

There is also with each passing year a multitude of new ceramic and composite materials being created. Who knows. What did they have in Star-Trek the Voyage Home? Transparent aluminum? Don't laugh. Isn't a diamond crystallised carbon- If that ever actually came to be wouldn't that make a nice Low D! :wink:

Keep Dreaming!
Paul
Jack

Post by Jack »

I remember my dreams almost every night, but most of them are a little too odd for me to post. But the whistle ones I post....try to, at least. I used to keep a dream journal but I just plain forgot after a while and didn't feel like trying to catch up.
Conley

How ODD

Post by Conley »

I was expecting a Water Weasel in the mail and I had a dream the night before it arrived. I dreamed that when I pulled it out of the package, it was very ornately carved and looked like ivory. As I turned it in my hands, I could see great chips had broken off of the carving and the whistle was basically useless. Let me tell you, I was so happy when I woke up!

Only another whistle player could empathize my terror.
chattiekathy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I dreamed I won a whistle :o :D :lol:
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Jack

Post by Jack »

I dreamed I won a whistle
*mumbles*

;-)
Paul

Post by Paul »

chattiekathy wrote:I dreamed I won a whistle :o :D :lol:
:lol: :lol: So I guess dreams DO come true! :lol: :lol:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I have had some terribly odd dreams regarding whistles...mostly perplexing ones. Some time ago (I think I posted about this one), I dreamed that my Elfsong got knocked off the dining room table onto our carpeted floor. I picked up up, and the paint started coming off in great big chunks...the more I tried to keep it from coming off, the more it fell apart. In the end, I was left with a whistle body that was little more than a frame of some kind of basket-woven plasticky stuff!

Two nights ago I dreamed that my Busman arrived in the mail completely shattered. Not that strange a dream, considering that every time my dad (a talented hobby carpenter) has shipped me one of his lovely wooden creations it's arrived damaged beyond any hope of repair (UPS in particular seems to delight in totally destroying irreplaceable, one-of-a-kind, handmade wooden objects), so it's no wonder that I'd be a bit paranoid about damage to my wooden whistle (fortunately, it arrived in fine shape...but I'm very happy Paul ships via US Mail rather than UPS...I'd have been a basket case!).

And last week I dreamed that my mom gave me a brand new whistle...and she was so proud of herself for it too, because she just knew she'd finally found the perfect gift for me. Unfortunately, the whistle was made of some kind of odd, gelatinous stuff (it actually flopped around when I tried to get a grip on it!) and had all kinds of weirdly placed holes...in fact, the more I tried to play it, the more holes it grew! I was getting desperate, trying to get a tune out of the darned thing to make mom happy, and she was just standing there beaming at me!

What can I say? I have weird dreams, but at least they're highly entertaining!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

No whistles when I sleep - only pipe dreams! :)
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I have whistle dreams more nights than I don't. They're usually kind of weird. A recurring one is I'm holding a whistle looking at it closely and trying to place my fingers over the holes, but more holes keep appearing. Last night, luckily, there were only 8. I've seen double rows going all the way around a whistle before. I've also picked up a whistle to play and found myself wearing gloves. Last week, I played a beautiful tune in my dream (or so I believe), but when I awoke, of course, it was gone. Whistles have frequently metamorphosed into weird tubular apparatus with mechanical appendages. (I hope I haven't said too much.)
Tony :o
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I had a wierd whistle dream last night, the first one I ever remember having - all your fault Mamakash for bringing up the idea!

I was watching a guy playing a whistle, something about the size of a low A or G. He was giving some sort of free concert. Then for the next tune he switched it for an all brass whistle the size of a digeridoo, that was so big his whole mouth was stretched to get around the mouthpiece, and he needed a special arrangement of sliding metal sleeves to cover the holes, the end of the whistle resting on the ground. He could only play one note per breath, a deep booming noise like a foghorn but only a second or two long, then a huge gulp of air before the next lip-rippling blast!

I'm sure there's something disgustingly Freudian to be read into this, but I don't want to know!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Martin Milner wrote:I had a wierd whistle dream last night, the first one I ever remember having - all your fault Mamakash for bringing up the idea!

I was watching a guy playing a whistle, something about the size of a low A or G. He was giving some sort of free concert. Then for the next tune he switched it for an all brass whistle the size of a digeridoo, that was so big his whole mouth was stretched to get around the mouthpiece, and he needed a special arrangement of sliding metal sleeves to cover the holes, the end of the whistle resting on the ground. He could only play one note per breath, a deep booming noise like a foghorn but only a second or two long, then a huge gulp of air before the next lip-rippling blast!

I'm sure there's something disgustingly Freudian to be read into this, but I don't want to know!
To paraphrase Dr Freud, "Sometimes a whistle is only a whistle."
Mike
Steven

Post by Steven »

chattiekathy wrote:I dreamed I won a whistle :o :D :lol:
Kathy, would you do me a favor please? Tonight, would you try to dream that I won the lottery?

:lol:
Steven
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Martin, now THAT'S a funny dream!

Hee! Hee! Hee! :lol:
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Seems there are a lot of dreams that have to do with trying to play unplayable whistles or whistles breaking. Makes sense actually. Then sometimes there are those other dreams :o LOL! Oookaaay.... ;)

Um, I have had two whistle dreams that I can remember. One was when I first learned about the existance of low D whistles and decided that someday I wanted to buy one. That night I dreamed that a big package came... bearing a new "Overton". Well, this Overton had some, um... problems. It was at least twice as big as it should have been and the holes were so huge my fist could fit though them. I was so frustrated! I wanted to play it so badly, but couldn't figure out how.

Then my other one was the night before my Busman arrived. I dreamed that I opened the package and instead of the bright color it should have been, it was white like it had been bleached. I turned it over and there were cracks all over, like the back had been shattered, but it was lightly being held together with tape. Sooooo glad it was only a dream and that the next day I was able to open my Busman to see it perfectly beautiful and intact.

What was that about "A dream is a wish your heart makes"? In this case... I don't think so!

Image Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-