Peg McGrath video on "Youtube"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Peg McGrath video on "Youtube"

Post by MarkP »

Steampacket wrote:Peg was a great flute player - It's good to be reminded, which reminds me of Deirdre Havlin, is she still playing these days? Deirde playing here between 1.40 min. and 2.30 min. Landsdowne Lass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZkQpyTf7c
Dee plays out sometimes, recently at a fundraiser with the London Lasses in Antrim, but not so much as she has her lovely young son and family to keep her busy.
Mark
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

csoroz wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:She's also on some old Comhaltas tour lps, 1974 for one.
This one: http://ceolalainn.blogspot.com/2009/10/ ... -1974.html

On track 2: http://ceolalainn.breqwas.net/download/ ... t%20Behind
Oooo, thank you!
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

colomon wrote:
csoroz wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:She's also on some old Comhaltas tour lps, 1974 for one.
This one: http://ceolalainn.blogspot.com/2009/10/ ... -1974.html

On track 2: http://ceolalainn.breqwas.net/download/ ... t%20Behind
Oooo, thank you!
I don't recall if I mentioned there is Peg McGrath playing a rare solo flute recording from 1992 of "Easter Snow" on Wooden Flute Obsession volume 3 (Disc One, Track 14). The track originally appeared on a Gaelic school fundraiser CD "Fonn Ceoil" produced by Padraigin Ni Uallachain, and was used by permission of Peg McGrath's husband Joe Needham, with further hiss removal & audio cleanup courtesy of Harry Bradshaw.

According to Paddy Ryan, there is also a track of her playing a Josie
McDermott composition, the "Trip to Birmingham", on a CD of the Tain
(pronounced Thawn) ceili band from Dundalk, of which Peg was a founder
member. The band won 3 all Ireland Senior ceili band championships in a
row, in 1998-1999 and 2000. The track was recorded by Ciaran Mac
Mathuna in the 1970s for RTE Radio.

Also according to Paddy, if I may quote his email:
"Speaking of Harry Bradshaw, who is a good friend of mine, I am aware of a lovely flute duet consisting of Peg and Josie McDermott, which was recorded by a man called Michael Daly, in Birmingham in 1970 (the weekend which inspired Josie to compose the Trip to Birmingham). Michael Daly had a professional Ferrograph tape recorder, and he knew how to use it. He recorded extensively with it over a number of years. His niece told me recently that Harry Bradshaw has his original tapes."
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Just found another recording of Peg on YouTube. I'm not familiar with this tune.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

colomon wrote:Just found another recording of Peg on YouTube. I'm not familiar with this tune.
I know it is as Hughie Travers. She's playing a nice setting.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hi Brendan - it's not "Hughie Travers'" reel, although it is similar. It's bugging the hell out of me at the moment, as I should know it. I'm 99% certain that Davy Spillane recorded it, and others, but I can't think whom. It'll come to me............
Incidentally, Kevin's post above reminded me that there is a flute duet track by Peg and Josie McDermott on "Flute Players Of Roscommon" Vol.2.
According to the sleeve notes, it was "a recording made by Paddy Ryan in Lawrie's house, Birmingham in June 1970".
Kathleen Lawrie accompanies on piano - the reels are "The Holly Bush" and "Gilbert Clancy's".
Also, on that same recording, the following track, the march "Bonnie Prince Charlie" [ "Cam' Ye By Atholl" is the original Scottish title and song ] is played by Peg's daughter Bronagh. Her mother recorded it on the Belfast "Cherish The Ladies" recording mentioned above.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Post by kenny »

Apologies to BrendanB, who is 100% correct. It's the second of 2 "Travers'" reels recorded by Matt Molloy on his first solo LP. I was thinking of the first, which I'd say is better-known, and had forgotten the second one, which is indeed the tune played by Peg McGrath in that video clip linked by "colomon".
[ It was even me who posted the tune on "thesession.org", although it was 10 years ago ! ]
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

kenny wrote: Incidentally, Kevin's post above reminded me that there is a flute duet track by Peg and Josie McDermott on "Flute Players Of Roscommon" Vol.2.
According to the sleeve notes, it was "a recording made by Paddy Ryan in Lawrie's house, Birmingham in June 1970".
Kathleen Lawrie accompanies on piano - the reels are "The Holly Bush" and "Gilbert Clancy's".
I think that's the track Paddy was referring to. Perhaps the actual recordist was the man Paddy references.