How do you deal with notes that fall out of range?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
spiderjames
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

How do you deal with notes that fall out of range?

Post by spiderjames »

I am a fan of Baroque music and have been looking into the life and music of Turlough O'Carolan. The songs sound lovely on the whistle but many of them fall above or below the normal range of the whistle. I'm curious how other whistlers deal with this. Do you raise individual notes or passages and octave or alter the melody slightly.
Tommy

Re: How do you deal with notes that fall out of range?

Post by Tommy »

spiderjames wrote:I am a fan of Baroque music and have been looking into the life and music of Turlough O'Carolan. The songs sound lovely on the whistle but many of them fall above or below the normal range of the whistle. I'm curious how other whistlers deal with this. Do you raise individual notes or passages and octave or alter the melody slightly.
I use to play with a group that used a lot music that was out of whistle range and sometimes I changed the octave and kept up. Other times our piano player would find a note that is in the chord as the note out of range. This is easy for piano and guitar players.

Search the internet for the music you want to play that has guitar chord tabs. Then look up the notes in that chord.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
megapop

Post by megapop »

Posted only recently over at the flute board: Handling notes that fall below the range of the flute

In short, just play those notes an octave higher so that they do fit in the range of your instrument. Sometimes it makes sense to shift a whole phrase to preserve its melodic motion.
return null;
seanpmoran
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Post by seanpmoran »

I've always 'folded' the tune into a different octave, until recently. This technique usually works quite well with faster tunes, or if there are a few different instruments playing the melody.

But nowadays I'm playing a bigger proportion of slower tunes, and I'm usually the only one playing the melody (to a classical guitar accompaniment). In this more exposed setting, any messing about with the octaves can stick out like a sore thumb. So ... I've started using three different ways of avoiding this 'running out of notes':

1. Play a whistle in a lower key. So, to play a tune in D that requires some notes below the key-note, use a whistle in A. (This, of course, means flattening the G# down to a G, but that's a straightforward matter of finding a suitable fingering).

2. Use your little finger (AKA 'pinky') to part-cover the end of the whistle. On my D Harper, I can play the C# below the bottom D (bell-note). This is needed in The Holy City.

3. Buy a Hans Bracker D+1 whistle. This makes it easy to play tunes such as The Ash Grove and She Moved Through the Fair, that need the C natural below the bell-note of D.

4. If none of the above work (eg for Danny Boy in C) I use a melodica (sacrilege, I know :D ). But, then I have to stand a long way from the microphone; that thing is so loud!

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Seán in Tipperary.

http://www.facebook.com/chifficato
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

spiderjames wrote:I am a fan of Baroque music and have been looking into the life and music of Turlough O'Carolan. The songs sound lovely on the whistle but many of them fall above or below the normal range of the whistle. I'm curious how other whistlers deal with this. Do you raise individual notes or passages and octave or alter the melody slightly.
One easy technique you can try is to use a low g whistle and play it in G fingering (i.e., six fingers = G below the staff). This allows you to hit all those notes that fall below the staff and you'd still have a pretty reasonable range up higher. I too enjoy playing such music on the whistle, and have found this solution very satisfactory. The lower tonality is sweet and full and unless the music runs really high in the staff, is quite playable on mid-range whistle. For example, Plaisir d' Amour. Beautiful melody. Perfect sounding on a nice whistle. In the key of d, it falls to A below the staff. Easy-peasy on a G whistle: xxx|xxo and fuller sounding that a version in g played on a d whistle, that falls to the bottom d. (Though this version plays nice on a low D whistle, I prefer the middle sound of the G whistle.)

I concur with the "hooked-fingering" of the low c# as a way of getting that one note -- but you need a whistle that has a relatively short d-hole to end-of-whistle distance! Even on a conical bore c whistle, that stretch is pretty close to impossible. Takes some practice to do it fast (which I haven't done), but looks like it could come in handy on a number of O'Carolan tunes.

A lot of airs also sound very nice done this way on G whistle, somewhere between the chirrpy-happy tonality of the high d whistle and the deep flutiness of the low D whistle.

If the tune you're after goes both way up high and way down low, well, then you've got to make a decision as to which is more important for the sound you wish to achieve with that particular tune. I would tend to prefer to "alter the melody slightly" and keep the melody in its native octave, rather than bump everything up or down. If that means taking a written below the staff B-A on a high d whistle up an octave, or perhaps better, to some other more suitable lower relative interval (d-c#), I'd do that before playing the whole phrase or section up an octave.

A little more work, but an alternative approach is to transpose a tune you like into a key more suitable for your whistle(s). My own tune books have all kinds of baroque era music that started out in Eb or C or some such and have ended up in D or G. If it's in a relatively easy key like A or E and sometimes B, I just leave it as is.

Alternatively, you could simply commit the ultimate sacrilege of obtaining and playing an alto recorder! :o
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
spiderjames

Post by spiderjames »

I was working on Colonel John Irwin today and I just changed the ending ornamentation from F#-E-D-C#D to F#-D-E-D or F#-E-F#-E-D. Other songs Like Eleanor Plunkett or Southwind are trickier. I guess I could just raise them a fourth or play them in D on an A whistle (an excuse to buy another whistle :wink: )
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Take the ABC from your source and paste it into the transcriber here, up or down scale, to the key you want to play (or whistles you have).

http://sessionite.com/jens-wollschlager ... ransposer/
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Lots of options. You could transpose the tune to a key that fits better on your whistle (or use a whistle in a different key). If it still falls outside of the range regardless of key, you can octave fold, or you can rework small parts of the tune to avoid the notes that fall outside of the range, especially if it's only very small bits.

I don't play any tunes where I can't solve this this issue by octave folding on whistle. However, I usually tend lean towards prefering stringed instruments for a lot of the fiddle tunes that spend a good bit of time on the G string.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

So what melodies you guys are playing have a range larger than 2 octaves? I can't, offhand, think of any Irish traditional ones.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

pancelticpiper wrote:So what melodies you guys are playing have a range larger than 2 octaves? I can't, offhand, think of any Irish traditional ones.
None for me, but there are, however, a large number that go outside the range of a D whistle, which is what I assume the OP is asking about. I don't play any O'Carolan tunes, so I have no idea what the range of them is.
spiderjames

Post by spiderjames »

O'Carolan's tunes were written for harp I assume. I found some transcriptions while looking for examples of airs to learn. Some of them are quite nice and have a sort of folky-baroque style.
Here's a version of Southwind on dulcimer/guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_F1XpAVZ7E

I read some short biographies on his life that I found interesting. It seems he travelled around performing and writing songs for individuals.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

The range of O'Carolan tunes is sometimes quite wide. For instance, look at Mr O'Connor (2 full octaves). Or Loftus Jones for that matter (2 octaves and a major third). I can't think of any other ones with a particularly wide range at the moment, but I'm sure there must be some ...
megapop

Post by megapop »

There are certainly trad dance tunes as well... Lord Ramsey's, The Humours Of Lissadell, The Maudabawn Chapel, The Dash To Portobello for instance. And I find that bumping everything up (to use WC's expression) usually doesn't harm the melody -- quite the opposite, it can add an interesting twist. After all, some flute players (Seamus Tansey!) are doing that quite frequently without even having to*, and it sounds really cool.

As for O'Carolan tunes, the situation may be a bit more difficult though... the melody is somehow more likely to get damaged by these manoeuvres IMO.

* Curiously, this octave jumping doesn't seem to be as common among whistle players. Maybe that's because the second octave takes more air on the whistle... but then again I'm listening to far more flute players than whistle players.
return null;
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

So what melodies you guys are playing have a range larger than 2 octaves? I can't, offhand, think of any Irish traditional ones.
Think fiddle tunes, from low G and going up to high b. Kilcloon, Never was piping so gay, several Paddy Fahy ones, The Galway reel, Forget me not, Farewell to Ireland. That sort of stuff.
My brain hurts

Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

whistlecollector wrote:A lot of airs also sound very nice done this way on G whistle, somewhere between the chirrpy-happy tonality of the high d whistle and the deep flutiness of the low D whistle.
That's very nicely put, I'm just about a buy my first low G for the same reasons as it seems to offer the best of both worlds :thumbsup:

(Also for physical considerations as I find, low D = too big for hands, high D = too small for hands)