Massive wrist pain, help!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TheHammerer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Massive wrist pain, help!

Post by TheHammerer »

Hello!

I've been playing flute and whistle on and off for 3 years and the bohem flute for another 5 before that, and I just love this instrument! Lately though, I haven't been able to satisfy my flutist needs due to pain and premature weariness in my left wrist. After not more than two tunes, it annoys me to the point I have to stop and wriggle my wrist around before restarting. After 15 minutes, I can't even finish a tune... :cry:

I'm 22 and in good shape without any known problems that can affect my wrist. Let it be noted though that I work with computers all day, which sometimes causes me wrist fatigue too.

Here are some pictures with my natural grip on them in which I've circled the pained areas:

Help!

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Massive wrist pain, help!

Post by benhall.1 »

Firstly ... see a doctor!

However, interesting pics. Greater minds will surely step in here, but it does look to me as if your thumb is too far underneath the body of the flute, leading to a generally cramped hand position. I understood that the thumb should be to the side of the flute, and not particularly gripping the flute. In fact, you ought to be able to waggle it around. Even whilst playing! Maybe try doing that. If the rest of your hold is OK, there should be no issue of dropping the flute.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

It's obviously painful, judging from those pics. Look at what you're doing to those thumb joints!

Try moving your thumb considerably to the left (toward the head of the flute), either directly behind your index finger, or even further toward the head. Looking at your upward-facing palm & fingers, cock your wrist a bit to your right, from | to / . Relax your hand, you're currently squeezing your fingers together into Mr. Claw Hand.

While there can be a lot of variety of hand positions that work for a flute player, take a look at these Google Images, and you should see a few with more relaxed positions, and the thumb generally advanced further toward the head.

https://goo.gl/kxB6aG
awildman

Post by awildman »

Ditto on the doctor thing. My joints get easily aggravated and I was recently diagnosed with a rheumatological condition. There might be any number of issues causing such pain and only a doctor can help with many of them.

From a practical standpoint, make sure your hands and wrists are as relaxed as possible le. IMO your grip looks way too tight for any instrument.
winterparkmarc

Post by winterparkmarc »

Beginner flute player here, but a physician - take the advice for what it is worth. Your grip should not pinch the flute as yours appears to be doing. Rather, and according to Rockstro, the palmar aspect of your first knuckle should push the flute into place against your lower lip. There should be no effort to keeping the flute in place from your intrinsic hand muscles. Also, there should be a bit of space beneath your index finger and the flute. You might want to Google Rockstro grip and review his recommendations.
Good luck!
Lucas
Location: where the beer is good and plenty (that be Belgium)

Post by Lucas »

Youtube is your friend !
Have a look at the zillion clips about holding a flute. This is a good one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c67lD9WIX50 .
Don't mind that it is a Boehm flute. The technique is exactly the same on any flute.
Digiti animaque non satis
http://users.skynet.be/fluiten
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

What they said. I started off holding the flute similar to you and got cramps. Over time you will loose the death grip, but rotate that thumb up and around. If you do it right you don't need that thumb for support. If you get a flute with a Bb key that thumb needs to be free to operate it. Spend some time experimenting with it, can be frustrating, but and you'll get it.
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
TheHammerer

Post by TheHammerer »

Thank you all for your support! I now have hope that I'll be able to play normally! I'll try all your corrections and come back to tell you how it went.

One thingt: it's not the first time I've read that both hands have to be relaxed on the flute, but if I try to do so, I have the feeling that the flute will slip out of my hands and that I don't have enough tension to do rolls (especially on the B and A).
Brus

Post by Brus »

TheHammerer wrote:I don't have enough tension to do rolls (especially on the B and A).
You're not supposed to need tension to do rolls. It seems to be a natural tendency that has to be fought against (and practiced) by many of us.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

TheHammerer wrote:One thingt: it's not the first time I've read that both hands have to be relaxed on the flute, but if I try to do so, I have the feeling that the flute will slip out of my hands...
Not as easy as you think. Try this, either with your flute over something soft, like a bed, or with a round wood dowel of reasonably similar thickness:

Gripping the flute with your left hand in approx. playing position (for a right-handed player), turn it vertically -

|
|
|
|

Begin to relax & loosen your grip gradually until gravity starts pulling the flute down toward the bed. I think you'll find that it doesn't move and get away from you that easily. It doesn't require much tension to keep it from slipping. And that's with it hanging vertically and otherwise ready to drop. While actually playing, unless you're flinging the flute across the room away from you, it isn't likely to go anywhere. Also, your left hand is pulling the flute toward your lip.
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

You know what I do? Ill sit down and watch a game or whatever and hold the instrument for hours, playing during commercials or when I get bored with the show. Just get used the thing being in your hand and get comfortable with it.

I think some of this goes in phases. When I was working on my tone, I felt the I would grip hard and really push the thing on my lips. As my tone got to where I want it, it was easier to relax and work on other things, just an observation...
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
Brus

Post by Brus »

Caspermilktoast wrote:You know what I do? Ill sit down and watch a game or whatever and hold the instrument for hours, playing during commercials or when I get bored with the show. Just get used the thing being in your hand and get comfortable with it.
When I had a workshop with Kevin Crawford he told us he often worked on things while watching television - usually something like repeatedly playing over a difficult passage until it came automatically.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
TheHammerer

Post by TheHammerer »

UPDATE:

After a week of playing while applying your tips, I can now play without pain in my wrist! :D I still feel my hand tire relatively quickly, though, but I think this might be due to me not being used to the new position. I'll keep playing and if I see no improvements, I'll come back here. Thank you all for your help!
awildman

Post by awildman »

Perhaps you can apply some of these things to your job as well. I find that computer use directly affects some of the same body parts that fiddle and flute do. Ergonomics is more than some overused word.
TheHammerer

Post by TheHammerer »

Hello Chiff and Fipple, I'm unfortunately back! As I said in my previous message, things have been a lot better: I was able to reduce the general tension in my hand and move my thumb out of the way (I think), reducing the pain to a minimal, very bearable level. Now, I'm experiencing fatigue in my wrist which might be due to the new position not being very familiar.

To go through with things, and just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, I filmed myself playing and I was wondering if you could have a look and tell me if everything is alright. Sorry for the hiccups and poor rhythm: I'm not used to playing for a camera. :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Cw7J ... 1OUWc/view

I lifted my thumb to show there was less tension there.

Thank you!