See the barely playable, Squistle I made:-)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Boxwood?

;) Jef
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Interesting design, with its separate windway "hood" to check the oil level...

Mollenhauer makes a "Modern blockflute" where this part (top of windway) is also separate, but strapped. The... er, multi-holed duct instrument :oops: is supplied with three different wood-plates (from ebony to boxwood) to alter the "colour" of the sound.
Jeferson wrote:Boxwood?

;) Jef
Nope--cratewood.
rbm

Post by rbm »

errm... intresting design.

mind you if you look a overton's or alba's or a whole host of others they start off square at the top.

I'm going to use a square taper inside the wooden low d I'm making.
BillBo

Post by BillBo »

Good Job Lark!

Now you've got me interested in giving it a try. You can get spruce sticks of different widths and thickness at hobby shops and I am going to see if I can fit something together.

One comment; in one of the previous post, the whistle makers were discussing the relationship between the blade edge and the windway.

I believe I remember them saying that the blade edge should 2/3 of the way down the windway airstream for optimal results. I'm sure someone with a better memory can comment if I am remembering right.

Anyway, great job.
Bill
serpent

WooooHoooo

Post by serpent »

So you finally built it! The octave shift is more affected by blade angle and position in the windway than the amount of air required. Finding those is the tough part.

Tuning: If you get the bell note right, then use Peter Kosel's Flutomat and it should still work. The resonant length of a column of air isn't that dependent on the shape of the column. Set the embouchure at 7/16" and just use the calcs as they come off. Get the area of the bore and calculate the diameter of an equivalent circle, add in the wood thickness (thinner is better), and do the calcs. I'll bet it'll come right in!

Let us know about your improvements! :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

All Hail the SpongeLark SquareWhistle!
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
glauber

Square Whistle

Post by glauber »

A thought: if you get the sound to be good, you can round off the outside using sandpaper, for it to be more comfortable to hold.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Congrats Lark!

I think you can improve 2nd octave acoustics if you shorten the bore slightly (1/4") and reduce the bore end hole. This will "firm up" your upper octaves. It appears you have a bore diameter slightly too large. A bore diameter-to-length ratio of around 1/32 gives good results. A minimum of 10 times the bore diameter should be kept between the voicing and the top tonehole as well. Very good job!

Do you know about this site?...
http://www.organstops.org/MainFrameN.html

The "Illustrations" section, in the left frame, has oodles of diagrams for square bore and voicing concepts. Let me know what you think. Please keep at it and I hope your <b>Joy</b> in whistlemaking is as great as mine!

Thomas Hastay.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Lark

Post by Lark »

Ok, I’ve drawn up V 2.0 of the Squistle, and made quite a few changes. I’ve thinned the walls to 1/8th of an inch, and I think this had greatly added to it’s look, if nothing else. I’ve also narrowed the bore to 7/16th, which works out to a circle with a diameter of 0.493 of an inch (approximately) and gives it a length to bore ratio of around 23:1 as opposed to 15:1 on the old one. The top tone hole is now at 9 times the bore diameter from the fipple as opposed to 5 times on the old one. I’ve changed the length and angle of the blade to 45 degrees as a starting point so that I may be able to make those adjustments as needed. I used the fluteomatic as serpent suggested for placement of the bits, and hopefully this one will be closer to tune :-)

See it here:

http://www27.brinkster.com/bumtown/squistlev20.html

I’ve also placed the isometric drawing of the old one next to the new for comparison :-)

Thanks again for you’re suggestions :- as you can see I have used most of them, and if you have more, I would love to hear them!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I like the look of the new sleeker model. Were you in any way inspired by the Hind ocarinas? Actually, I am a bit surprised that this form of construction hasn't already been more embraced among whistlemakers.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

I like the look of the new sleeker model.
Me, too.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Walden

The "square" whistle has a design flaw. In the low pressure fundamental octave, the square whistle still uses an aircolumn that is cylindrical and "ignors" the corners of the bore. The problem comes when the whistle is overblown. The increased air pressure "pushes out" into the corners,increases <b>used</b> cubic area and results in very flat upper registers.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:The increased air pressure "pushes out" into the corners,increases <b>used</b> cubic area and results in very flat upper registers.
I think that the square rec***ers have a standard round tapered bore.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Square Flute

Post by NicoMoreno »

I know that this is the WHISTLE page, but, nonetheless, let me tell you about my square flute: i made one... But I decided it needed to be conical, so I put angles in the side walls and it "conicalled" up nicely. (I guess you would really call it a pyramidical flute)

Side note: Can barely get a bottom note out.
Side note 2: It is made out of plywood.
Side note 3: I added a piece to the top where the embouchure hole is and sanded the whole thing so it is round at the top and very round where the chin hits the body.

It is in G, The upper octave (actually just three notes at present) is nice, but I can't really get much sound out in the bottom.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

well done, it's actually pretty nice looking

*holds ears after listening to sound clip because the computer speakers were turned all the way up*

BTW do I detect some aversion to the word "Rec--der"? I remember growing to hate those things way back in third grade music class.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|