Stands that fit wooden flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Stands that fit wooden flutes?

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Anyone have a recommendation for a flute stand that fits wooden flutes? I picked one up from a music store a while back only to discover that it was a bit too big. (Works nicely with low whistles, though).
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Stands that fit wooden flutes?

Post by plunk111 »

I use a home-brew stand that works great. Drill a 1/4" hole through the middle of two pieces of 3/4" PVC pipe (each piece about a foot long) and put a 1/4" dowel through the holes. I hold it together with rubber bands. Works great and is compact for transport.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I use a standard flute stand, but with the post turned down on a lathe so that it fits into a wooden, conical bore flute.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I use a piccolo peg on my Hercules 3 pronged flute/clarinet/piccolo stand. For just a flute, a single piccolo stand works great. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Piccolo-Stand-Reg ... colo+stand
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Akiba wrote:I use a piccolo peg on my Hercules 3 pronged flute/clarinet/piccolo stand. For just a flute, a single piccolo stand works great. Here's an example:

YMMV. I wouldn't use a piccolo stand for a flute because, IMO, the post is too thin and could put too much pressure on the bore, either by digging into it, or by bending what seems to me to be maybe the weakest part of the flute - the thin end. Standard piccolo stands work fine for conical bore piccolos, however. :)
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

benhall.1 wrote:
Akiba wrote:I use a piccolo peg on my Hercules 3 pronged flute/clarinet/piccolo stand. For just a flute, a single piccolo stand works great. Here's an example:

YMMV. I wouldn't use a piccolo stand for a flute because, IMO, the post is too thin and could put too much pressure on the bore, either by digging into it, or by bending what seems to me to be maybe the weakest part of the flute - the thin end. Standard piccolo stands work fine for conical bore piccolos, however. :)
I just saw Steph Geremia using one for her show. She has a lovely Grinter. I think the pressure on the flute is minimal. I wouldn't recommend keeping the flute on the stand all the time, but for shows/gigs/sessions/practicing, I see very little chance of ill effects.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Akiba wrote:I just saw Steph Geremia using one for her show. She has a lovely Grinter. I think the pressure on the flute is minimal. I wouldn't recommend keeping the flute on the stand all the time, but for shows/gigs/sessions/practicing, I see very little chance of ill effects.
I know - probably paranoia on my part, but I'll stick to my turned down flute stand - much thinner than the non-turned down, standard flute stand, but much much thicker than a piccolo stand and supports the flute beautifully.

BTW, I never take a stand to sessions at all. Sadly, the sessions I end up in are crowded enough that it would be riskier having the flute on a stand than lying flat on the table. Again, IMO.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:BTW, I never take a stand to sessions at all. Sadly, the sessions I end up in are crowded enough that it would be riskier having the flute on a stand than lying flat on the table. Again, IMO.
Tragic. Always much safer to lie down on the table at a crowded session........... :P :really: :poke:

Stands are OK for at home and for gigs.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Toonboog

Post by Toonboog »

Regardless the fact that in sessions laying the flute down is by far the safest option, this looks ver interesten.

https://www.blackarrowindianart.com/cat ... te-stands/
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Toonboog wrote:this looks ver interesten.

https://www.blackarrowindianart.com/cat ... te-stands/
If by interesting you mean that those antler thingies could put someone's eye out.

Which is why you should always wear Flute Goggles at a session. Safety first!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Toonboog

Post by Toonboog »

I wonder how you would position a stand in such a fashion that it would poke an eye out. Ik thought you'd put it on a table or a shelve or something like that. Maybe you just move ferociously while playing. :-)

But seriously... the problem in can see is that the moist stays in the flute insteat of dripping away. Or am i mistaken.
Apart from the antler theme, which is not really my cup of tea, the concept appeals to me.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Buy one of those wooden plaque things that people paint "Bless This Mess" and house numbers on (available at any big box hardware or crafty store), drill some 1/4" holes, insert 1/4" dowels cut to about 6" long, stain it, varnish it, and Bobsyer.

If you're going for a fairly small footprint you may want to glue two plaques together to make it heavier.

If you want to get fancy and mobile you can cut the plaque in half or take two plaques, attach some small locking piano hinges at the join, route out a depression for dowel storage, add a latch opposite the hinged side, and then it's portable. Mine folds to about the size of an iPad and it's grand.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

MTGuru wrote: Which is why you should always wear Flute Goggles at a session. Safety first!
But where do you set your beer goggles?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Toonboog wrote:I wonder how you would position a stand in such a fashion that it would poke an eye out. Ik thought you'd put it on a table or a shelve or something like that. Maybe you just move ferociously while playing. :-)
Yes, of course! Because it distracts everyone from my lousy playing! :wink:

I don't know about your neighborhood ... But in mine, sessions are often held around dark tables in dark corners of dark pubs. And those tables are covered in food and drinks, and set lists and phones, and instruments, and capos and picks and bows and other accessories. And surrounded by well-watered musicians fumbling for any or all of the above in the dark, especially if your old eyes (like mine) are no longer what they used to be. And if you bend down to the table to look for something ...

As Jon Snow said to Arya:

And if someone showed up at my session with one of those stands, I'd politely ban it.

Of course, the OP wasn't asking about sessions. For home display, those stands might be just fine. And for a session table, you can't beat a soft, plushy cloth to rest your instrument on. Or ask Ben to hold it, since he's already lying on the table anyway.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

I made my own instrument stand from a piece of Lauan, 12 x 26". To the short end, I glued a block, 1-1/4" square x 12 long. I made pegs that fit the tailbore of 5 instruments I like to play. In use, I like to put the front legs of my chair on top of the long side of the lauan, with the block about 4" away from the side of the chair. The flutes stick up beside my right leg. It's convenient, stable, safe, easy to make and easy to pack.

Lauan is usually pronounced Luan.