Looking for a cheap Bnat whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chaos97
antispam: No

Looking for a cheap Bnat whistle

Post by chaos97 »

My main instrument is the uilleann pipes, and I learn most of my tunes from recordings. Many of the pipers I listen to seem to prefer the pitch of B & it becomes quite tedious having to play around with pitch-shifting software. I think it would just make things easier if I could play along with a whistle at first, just to learn, but no one seems to make whistles in Bnat.

The only one I can seem to find readily available is the susato, but at $50 it's a bit expensive. I'd like to find something under $20 if it exists. Any help?
Podge

Re: Looking for a cheap Bnat whistle

Post by Podge »

Some years ago I converted a Bb Generation to B using Bill Haneman's instructions here - viewtopic.php?p=508479#p508479

It worked out quite well and should suit your purposes.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

chaos97 wrote:I think it would just make things easier if I could play along with a whistle at first, just to learn, but no one seems to make whistles in Bnat.
That's just not at all true. Most of the "big" makers sell a whistle in B natural. I know that even as a hobbyist whistle maker I get requests for a B whistle from pipers for the reason you have described. Makers such as Burke, Goldie, Bracker, just to name a few, all offer a B whistle. Basically if you make whistles and talk to pipers you will end up designing a B nat whistle.
chaos97 wrote:The only one I can seem to find readily available is the susato, but at $50 it's a bit expensive.
It's all relative. Right? $50 might seem like a lot for a simple instrument. But... How much did your pipes cost? They play the same tunes. Don't they?
chaos97 wrote:I'd like to find something under $20 if it exists. Any help?
Sure. As Podge has pointed out you can whittle down a Gen Bb to play in B. And in my experience that is the standard solution to your request. The request for a cheap B whistle from pipers is common enough that the instructions for making one have been posted in the "Tweaks" thread which is a sticky topic at the top of this board. We've also cataloged the other whistles that can be made with a similar process for other keys.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39238&start=60

Of course you can also make your own bespoke whistle starting more or less from scratch. You have a few options there. You can make the B tube for either a C whistle head (Gen/Feadog/Waltons/etc.) or make a B nat tube for a Gen Bb head from scratch too. Links with those dimensions are also given in that post in the "Tweaks" thread.

Another quick and easy method is to make a Low-Tech whistle following the excellent instructions provided by Dr. Guido Gonzato on his website. If you do not have a pipe similar to the specs (Euro zone materials) given on GG's site you would have to re-calculate the hole positions/sizes for the pipe you have available. Let us know if you need links to tone hole calculators.

http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's all relative. Right? $50 might seem like a lot for a simple instrument. But... How much did your pipes cost? They play the same tunes. Don't they?
That old saw is trotted out here so often. Ah sure a 500 or so whistle, it's cheaper than a cello isn't it? It doesn't fly. Not in a million years. A whistle takes a few hours to make at best and an injection moulded one from a production line like the susato in question much less so. A set of pipes will have had someone working on it for maybe 250 hours. And will offer you a tonal palette and musical options no whistle player can even dream of. Apples and oranges. Really. It just doesn't fly. Not even in a slightly tongue in cheek way.

That said, the susato B is a good option. Look out for the pipes/whistle duet CD about to be launched to hear how well it works.
My brain hurts

gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

I have a Jerry Freeman Bnat and am very pleased with it. Price is excellent.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mr.Gumby wrote:That old saw is trotted out here so often. Ah sure a 500 or so whistle, it's cheaper than a cello isn't it? It doesn't fly. Not in a million years. A whistle takes a few hours to make at best and an injection moulded one from a production line like the susato in question much less so.
Peter, I am not trying to start an argument. You have your perspective and I have mine. Let's disagree.

A whistle, at its best, takes much longer than a few hours to make. I've done my own calculations but that's not the point here. Sure I could knock out a whistle in a few hours but that would not be something I'd likely be happy with. A whistle can be made using many methods, as could pipes. A maker of whistles frequently has the same machinery and training as a pipe maker as far as working with the materials. Brass and blackwood are as common in whistles as not. And that is a very expensive investment. It'd be nice if a whistle maker now and then could recoup those costs.

Yes, a whistle head can pop out of a mold. And yes some whistles are entirely molded. In the case of the Susato they molded body then has the holes milled into it by a cnc milling machine. The programming for that can take a good long while to get right. To design and produce a successful mold takes many, many man hours as well. It can be a long, costly and arduous process. Molds don't just pop out of 3D printers just yet. But when they do the printer will likely cost a year's wage. It is a very expensive process in the end. The fact that we get $10 whistles that work out of it is mostly a miracle I would say.
Mr.Gumby wrote:A set of pipes will have had someone working on it for maybe 250 hours. And will offer you a tonal palette and musical options no whistle player can even dream of. Apples and oranges. Really. It just doesn't fly. Not even in a slightly tongue in cheek way.
Yep, apples and oranges. We aren't talking about whistles costing thousands of dollars - yet. But I think the present day cost/benefit ratios between the two instruments still works out.

It's all relative.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am not particularly interested in an argument to be honest. This too is an subject I have been over a few times in the past decade or so I have been here and I am not planning on fleshing the whole thing out again. But this whole 'it's cheaper than a piano' malarkey is such a recurrent thing and nine out of ten times you shrug it off but the tenth time you may think ' ofcourse item B is more expensive, it's infinitely more complex to make so will you give it a rest yet?'.

I can't help thinking of this:
John Sindt, in his C&F interview wrote:My idea was to make as consistent a whistle as possible while staying with
the original design and sound and concept of a cheap penny whistle. I also had
in mind the cost of the whistle. If it took all day to make then that would
be a very expensive whistle
. So a simple design was also important to me.
And compare it to the many, many hours I have spent in pipemakers' workshops.

But I'll happily agree to disagree.
My brain hurts

megapop

Post by megapop »

chaos97 wrote:The only one I can seem to find readily available is the susato, but at $50 it's a bit expensive. I'd like to find something under $20 if it exists.
I think the second sentence makes it very clear that
Feadoggie wrote:It's all relative.
Right? :) So why argue that $50 may be relatively inexpensive (compared to pipes, if you like) when it's apparently too expensive relative to their explicitly stated demand?

Oh well. Personally, I consider the cheapness a constitutive part of the charm of the whistle... but then again I also keep calling it *tin*whistle, hehe. So I'd second the suggestion to just modify a Gen Bb. (Admittedly, I haven't done this yet... but it seems the obvious solution to me. Generation is the alpha and omega! 8))
Last edited by megapop on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

chaos97 wrote:I'd like to find something under $20 if it exists. Any help?
Good luck with that, and please let us know what you find.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

megapop wrote:Personally, I consider the cheapness a constitutive part of the charm of the whistle... but then again I also keep calling it *tin*whistle, hehe.
Me too. Until about a week ago I have never paid more than a couple of quid for a whistle (Clarkes, Generations, and a single Hohner).
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

I think I will just try the susato. Thinking about it, many of the players are a bit more between the pitches, so the adjustable top may be worth it. I looked around for the Freeman whistles, but still don't see any in B. The susato isn't THAT much, I was just curious if there were other options. Thank you for the help.

Peter:
I'm sure that if a pipe and whistle album comes out, I'll hear about it - And I'll be sure to pick it up!
Last edited by chaos97 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

chaos97 wrote:I'm not even sure quite how to respond.
Perhaps that depends how you read Feadoggie's post?
From the very first sentence you'd think I had offended you.
Because I thought (and still do after a second reading) that he was taking some trouble to help you! And wouldn't have listed all those helpful options had his intention been to offend...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Peccary

Post by Peccary »

Hello Chaos, my opinion for what's it's worth (I'm a very modest player) go for the Susato it's a surprisingly good whistle. Last year I was looking for a loudish Bb that could be played outdoors, after some research on here Susato seemed the best choice. When I looked on Big Whistle the Susato Bb M Series was £48.00 but the Susato B S Series was only £34.00 (presumably the narrower bore accounts for the lower price) I bought the B to save a few bob and I've been delighted with it, easily one of my favourite whistles.

PS: I've since picked up a used Susato Bb M Series off Ebay and (in my opinion) it's not very nice, that different bore seems to make a lot of difference (not that this is of interest as you're not looking for a Bb)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

chaos97 wrote:just because of how rude it came across (maybe it's misinterpreted?).
Yes, you misinterpreted. And how. Looks deliberate to me. But maybe I've misinterpreted you.
chaos97 wrote: I wonder how off putting this 'community' could be for a beginner with thin skin.
Only if you deliberately take offence where clearly none was intended. Next time, if you feel that someone is setting out to offend you, please can I suggest that you do the following:

1) Read the post again, and think carefully whether offence was intended
2) If you think it was, complain to the poster - privately
3) If you get no joy, bring it to the attention of the Mods.

Mod.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

chaos97 wrote: I'd like to find something under $20 if it exists. Any help?
I have tweaked Generation Bb whistles available and would be glad to change one to a Generation B for $20.00 plus mailing. :thumbsup: Send me a PM if interested.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086