OT: Culture Shock show

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lilymaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lilymaid »

Nanohedron wrote:The practice of cannibalizing the dead, esp. of the brain, had spiritual connotations for the tribe in question; hence the practice. Any nutritional considerations were marginal at best.
I read in a book, Folklore in the English and Scottish Ballads, that they figure drinking the blood of a deceased loved one had some sort of magical properties, because in versions some ballads, like Dowie Dnes of Yarrow (Child 214) they drink the blood of the deceased. (The nice Victorian people who compiled them for us often changed it so as not to horrify everyone.)
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Jack

Post by Jack »

Well, I drink my own blood. And if I ever had my leg amputated, I would consider eating it. But never ever ever another person's or animals. That just horrifies me in the worst possible way.
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

Cranberry wrote:Well, I drink my own blood. And if I ever had my leg amputated, I would consider eating it. But never ever ever another person's or animals. That just horrifies me in the worst possible way.
Please don't ever eat your leg! ewww!
(That's even scarier to me than dead chicken flesh, and I find that pretty scary. :o )
Jack

Post by Jack »

Please don't ever eat your leg! ewww!
(That's even scarier to me than dead chicken flesh, and I find that pretty scary. )
If I lost my leg, I think it would be weird to bury *just* a leg. Would I name it, etc? I'd have to do something with it since it did belong to me. I've always had a severe fear of loosing one of my limbs, but if I had to loose one, I want it to be my left leg. I pray to God it's my left leg. If I loose one, of course. But I don't
want
to.
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

Cranberry wrote:If I lost my leg, I think it would be weird to bury *just* a leg. Would I name it, etc? I'd have to do something with it since it did belong to me.
My mum always says when she dies she wants us to cremate her, put her in a pot and grow a tree in it. Your left leg could be a tree. :)
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Nanohedron wrote:Cran, it's an understandable mistake, but kuru is a medical issue in Papua New Guinea which is pretty much on the other side of the world.
On the "proper" side of the world, we have much more scholarly words to name the same disease...

How many cases of Kreutzfeld-Jacob (no, it's not a brand of recorders) in UK already, just from eating cattle fed with same cattle? :roll: It's our indirect form of cannibalism, I guess.

Culinary trivia: if your mother-in-law's brains look like vanilla mousse, don't trust the "best fresh until..." label. Just pretend you're a vegetarian, and the bride and other guests won't be shocked.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

...I always wanted to have my ashes mixed with clay, made into a flowerpot, and given away with a plant growing in it as a door prize at the memorial service, and nobody the wiser. :o
Jack

Post by Jack »

A girl I *cough*used to know*cough* had her dog cremated and slowly ate the ashes over time.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

TMI for ITM, you Crannibal. :lol:
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

I've always admired the Tibetan Sky Burial -- see http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~pamlogan/skybury.htm -- it seems a bit macarbe to us westeners, but I think it is a quite beautiful idea.
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Cranberry wrote:A girl I *cough*used to know*cough* had her dog cremated and slowly ate the ashes over time.
Canberry, the more I get to know you, the more you scare me. And I more I get to know the people you know, well, I'm just terrrified. :o

And some people think tofu is gross . . .
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Jack

Post by Jack »

Canberry, the more I get to know you, the more you scare me. And I more I get to know the people you know, well, I'm just terrrified
:) I don't know her anymore. She went all insane and decided she hated me and hasn't talked to me in almost a year. So I can't really say I know her anymore. I (still) know a person who had a pet rat who died, and she froze him and took his leg off and ate it. She posted pictures on our message board of her with the leg in her mouth, chewing it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A rat's leg? And your vegan reaction was......?
Jack

Post by Jack »

A rat's leg? And your vegan reaction was......?
Not a vegan reaction so much as just as reaction. The group of people who I feel closest to are all vegetarian or vegan and all 'mentally ill' in one way or another, so I don't judge them as harshly as I judge most other people who I don't know or like. It was just...very weird that she ate a rat's leg. A few years ago (emphasis on a few) I ate mammals and insects. Doesn't mean I'd do it now (and I don't think she'd eat a rats leg now). I don't think anybody judges their closest circle as harshly as they do everyday people (which can be a bad thing, no doubt), and people change for the better.
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

fatveg wrote:I've always admired the Tibetan Sky Burial -- see http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~pamlogan/skybury.htm -- it seems a bit macarbe to us westeners, but I think it is a quite beautiful idea.
I've always though they sounded as if they at least be very dramatic. :)

I like the fact that it seems to be more about “recycling” the body than keeping around because people for whatever reason ascribe especial significance to a dead corpse. I guess traditional burials where they embalm you and stuff you in a casket and keep you around just don’t fit with my theology. Not to mention, in a way, our obsession with keeping corpses about is probably more morbid than a sky burial.