help identifying a whislte take 486

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
notthebuddah
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

help identifying a whislte take 486

Post by notthebuddah »

There seems to be a lot of posts regarding identifying whistles lately, and after discussing it with Dale in a private message, I've decided to open it to everyone to see if this sounds familiar. So the scenario is that I purchased a used whistle which was described as a Kerry Pro Low F, and when the whistle arrived, there was no marking saying this. The whistle is almost identical to a Chieftain C whistle I have except that the sides of the mouth piece are straight with the F, and they are curved slightly with the C. The workmanship is impeccable on both whistles, the weight seems right, and the F plays well, although it seems to require a little more back pressure than I'm used to. It came in a hard plastic whistle case which had no marking on it, and the seller purchased it at Hobgoblin music. I contacted Phil Hardy who sent the following message:"The early ones were marked with either KPro or KWL, the later ones after 2000 have been engraved with a seriel number and name." The whistle had neither, and when I contacted the seller, they told me to remove the whistle mouth piece and look at the whistle block, and there I would see the initials "PH", which in fact I did. I have not contacted Phil again, thinking I was already being a pain in the neck, but I'm curious, does any one else have experience with the initials on the fipple block? I have no animosity toward the seller, I'm not trying to end the sale, I'm more curious about the whistle and others experience. I had tried to figure out how to post pictures here, but can't seem to do it, not very technologically competent. I did send Dale a picture of the "PH" which he could see, so the plot thickens. What say ye?
Steve Brown
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: help identifying a whislte take 486

Post by Feadoggie »

Do you like the whistle?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
Last edited by Feadoggie on Fri May 08, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

Yes, I do like it. I think it will take a little getting used to, but I like it. I got it for playing with a particular band, and haven't been playing with them of late.
Steve Brown
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

notthebuddah wrote:The whistle had neither, and when I contacted the seller, they told me to remove the whistle mouth piece and look at the whistle block, and there I would see the initials "PH", which in fact I did. I have not contacted Phil again, thinking I was already being a pain in the neck
I'd inquire of PH to verify this... pain or no pain.

And, I would like to see the photos... its not that difficult even for the technologically challenged. Really. :really:
viewtopic.php?p=277948#p277948
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

Thanks Ytliek, I'm going to work on it!
Steve Brown
lefty

Post by lefty »

I remember reading in my early days of whistle buying that the block of Kerry pro's had PH engraved on them, can't find that anywhere on the tinternet now, but I do have an older kerry pro low D, which was purchased from Rathbone place in London, (6/7/8 years ago I think, this has the PH but also has no kwl or serial number, but without doubt it's a pro, the ( E, 5th Hole on pro low D's is very big )
and without opening a can of worms the head has the appearance of an Overton.

chieftains look very different as you said rounded, hope that's of some help.

Lefty :D
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

Lefty, thanks for that, it sounds like this is a known thing and I"m glad to hear other peoples opinion on it. I'm still working on the pictures and hope to get them up today or tomorrow. I may email Phil again, but will see what people think about the photo's first. Thanks again Steve
Steve Brown
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

So I think I figured this out, there are three images that follow, the first is a picture of the fipple block taken with a flash light, and shows the P clearly visible, the H is fuzzy, but is there. the second image shows the entire whistle and hopefully you get an idea of the design, and the third is just the mouth piece, which is straight on the sides, unlike the chieftain, which is curved. With the help of lefty, and comments by the Seller, I'm starting to be convinced that this is a Kerry Pro. Thanks for looking
Last edited by notthebuddah on Sun May 10, 2015 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Brown
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

Here it is, a bit fuzzy but the P is plainly visible, the H is not so visible, but it is there.
Steve Brown
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

Steve Brown
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

this shows how straight the mouth piece is as opposed to a regular chieftain
Steve Brown
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

The photos look great posted. :thumbsup: I've always commented that the whistlemakers ought to mark their whistles in some way even knowing markings can be duplicated as well. Too many unmarked mysteries floating around.

notthebuddah, looks like a nice whistle and if it plays well for you... there ya go.
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

Thanks Ytleik, and thank you for teaching me how to post an image. It took a little perseverance on my part, but good things do. I think I will be playing for a long time. It's also good to connect with people who are supportive in the quest. You and lefty were very helpful. I'm still interested in people opinions if others want to chime in. Thanks, Steve Brown
Steve Brown