Garry Somers Aluminium Flute With Delrin Head

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kirby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Garry Somers Aluminium Flute With Delrin Head

Post by Kirby »

I recently purchased a Garry Somers Practice flute, and since I couldn’t find much firsthand information on the web about this flute I decided to post a quick review.

I play the Boehm flute and tin whistle, but this is my first “Irish” flute. (I’m not sure that an aluminum flute made in Brazil can claim to be all that Irish, but I’m not very Irish either). In other words, I won’t be offended if you take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I’m sure you’re all dying to hear all the lengthy considerations I went through before buying this flute, but the short version is one evening I thought “why not” and ordered one from Whistle and Drum. Less than three days later it arrived on my porch.

The most important thing is obviously the sound. To me it sounds quite good. It has a tone that is warmer than a concert flute with a bit of a reedy edge that I find nice. I’ve been able to get a respectable amount of volume from the instrument, but find that it still sounds good when played softly.

The finish on the body gives enough texture that the flute is very easy to hold onto. I was surprised by the size of the holes (remember that I am new to keyless flutes) and Mr. Somers states that the holes are similar in size to a Pratten model, but even though my fingers are relatively narrow I found that I prefer playing with fingertips than using a piper’s grip.

The joints fit together well giving the flute a nice solid feel when assembled, but can be adjusted or separated without applying excessive force. While I don’t advocate abusing any instrument, this flute is definitely rugged. I think it would take gross negligence to seriously damage it. If you are an outdoors type this could be a perfect travel instrument. This is doubly true due to its light weight. My scale puts it at 209 grams.

In summary for a relatively modest sum I received a solid instrument with a good tone that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to others. Additionally I was very impressed by Whistle and Drum’s service and will be sending them more business in the (hopefully near) future.

[Thread title changed at request of the flute maker. - Mod]
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Garry Somers Practice Flute

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello Kirby, and welcome to Chiff! Nice to hear someone new has found something great they like, and by your excellent description, no doubt it would appeal to many others. It even made me want to try one!

Good luck on your journey, and have a blast!
~~~~
Barry
bsfloyd

Post by bsfloyd »

Ironically I have been comtimplating getting one of these. You have sparked my interest even more, thanks for the review!
GoldTop

Post by GoldTop »

Thanks for the info. Interesting.

I recently got Garry Somers Pratten flute and absolutely love it. Thinking about his Rudall model or the practice.

Best, Cyril
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Not wanting to nitpick - I'm sure it's a nice instrument - but what is a "practice flute" supposed to be?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Maybe something you can take anywhere, and keep practicing instead of leaving your good flute at home?
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

GoldTop wrote:Thanks for the info. Interesting.

I recently got Garry Somers Pratten flute and absolutely love it. Thinking about his Rudall model or the practice.

Best, Cyril
Good to see you're still hanging around, Cyril! Enjoy your flute!
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Nanohedron wrote:Not wanting to nitpick - I'm sure it's a nice instrument - but what is a "practice flute" supposed to be?
Or maybe it's just a flute you can start on for a reasonable price, without investing $300-$500 to find out how you do, or like the flute. And then you practice, practice, practice...seems a good name to me.
~~~~
Barry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yeah, I guess maybe so. The word "practice" gave me some crazy notion about using it for your practice and saving your superbad Rudall 8-key for performance, a concept that to me just doesn't make sense. But as long as the idea is now out there: Don't do that. Play one or play the other, as the case may be. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's the opposite of a theory flute. Of course.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

practical theory makes for a very wise flute
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

Nanohedron wrote:Not wanting to nitpick - I'm sure it's a nice instrument - but what is a "practice flute" supposed to be?
Just to clarify this - I don't actually call this model a 'practice flute' anywhere. I call it the 'aluminium flute with delrin head' or sometimes just 'the aluminium flute'. Hammy Hamilton uses the term 'practice flute' for his aluminium flute with nylon head and I think that's what the original poster (Kirby) had in mind.

I'd prefer if the title of the thread, at least, could be changed to 'Garry Somers Aluminium Flute With Delrin Head' to avoid confusion but not to worry if it's too late.

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Re: Garry Somers Aluminium Flute With Delrin Head

Post by Nanohedron »

Done. Cheers! :)
Brus

Post by Brus »

I've also heard of whistles and flutes referred to as "session whistles" or "session flutes". That made me wonder, too.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Re: Garry Somers Aluminium Flute With Delrin Head

Post by Nanohedron »

I would think that's a somewhat different issue. From what I observe, people who are looking for "session" instruments tend to want those that can be heard (primarily by oneself, I charitably surmise) amid the noise of a good-sized group whether by volume or a piercing quality. I do think this would be a more important issue among whistles than flutes (which - construction aside - are entirely dependent on how they are played for volume, projection, or other audibility factors). But even on a bad day I've never really had difficulty hearing myself in sessions, so I can't speak to others' motivations.