Foot Tapping

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CaperMike
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Foot Tapping

Post by CaperMike »

I had a discussion with my father-in-law who is part of the Cape Breton fiddle tradition. He was relating a discussion during group tutorial with an elder fiddler, Winne Chafe, who admonished the participants against tapping of feet whilst fiddling. This of course, is a controversial notion in Cape Breton fiddling.

I'm curious about the etiquette of foot tapping whilst UPing. Or perhaps most rules around manners in the Irish tradition are focused on Bodhran playing?

Mike
Mr.Gumby

Re: Foot Tapping

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think there are any hard andfast rules. It's merely a crutch we hang on to to keep time I suppose. Leo Rowsome had it as one of the 'Don't's in his tutor. I know a few people who can play sitting still without moving as much as a toe and play a rock-solid rhythm. I think that's a good thing. Then again, some make a virtue, or a feature, out of tapping their feet: anyone remember Mick Conroy?
My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

When I started piping, I was unable to tap my foot while playing. When I got more proficient with the chanter, I found that I was tapping my foot without thinking. These days, I can't tap my foot if I'm playing the regs - there's just too much going on!!
PJ
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hmm ... It seems to me that there are two different things under discussion here. One being the simple foot tapping to keep time for oneself and for practice. The other being a more prominent, deliberate tapping to add a percussive element to performance, or the more elaborate "clogging in place", even while sitting, associated with Cape Breton and some other musics. It's not clear which the OP is referring to - perhaps both - and the discussion could get muddy unless that's straight.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well, you obviously don't remember Mick Conroy Image
My brain hurts

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Well, you obviously don't remember Mick Conroy
That's true. :-) Should I do some homework on him?

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Quebec fiddlers take foot tapping to the next level, using both feet to add to the rhythm of the tune. I've even seen some wearing what resembled tap shoes (metal tips). But I've never seen pipers do more than tap a toe or maybe a heel.

The only hard and fast rule would be not to let it interfer with the tune. Oh, and don't tap using the leg which is supporting your drones/regs.

I like this clip of Jerry O'Sullivan. He slips off his shoe about 25 seconds into the tune.
PJ
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

PJ wrote:I like this clip of Jerry O'Sullivan. He slips off his shoe about 25 seconds into the tune.
Well, when you're tapping right next to the mic stand ... or on the mic stand ... :lol:

WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WireHarp »

Pipers aren't tapping their foot...they're stomping on yet another crappy reed.

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com
m muir
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by m muir »

From experience aggressive foot tapping at a session can be very hazardous. I've seen pints of Guinness go bouncing across a table and onto other musicians and the floor because of it!
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I didn't want to tap my foot but wound up having to. There was this bodhran player you see. He always sped up and also played erratically. I was able to overcome the situation with a good hefty stomp. These days I try to keep it under control... it can feel good though in a big thundering session :)

Patrick
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Any musician who taps his/her feet should have them cut off and replaced with large sponges.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
CaperMike

Post by CaperMike »

MTGuru wrote:Hmm ... It seems to me that there are two different things under discussion here. One being the simple foot tapping to keep time for oneself and for practice. The other being a more prominent, deliberate tapping to add a percussive element to performance, or the more elaborate "clogging in place", even while sitting, associated with Cape Breton and some other musics. It's not clear which the OP is referring to - perhaps both - and the discussion could get muddy unless that's straight.

I don't imagine there to be etiquette around what a player does in private. I even play without a shirt on warm summer evenings :-)

The question refers to public performance, sessions and the like.

Mike
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

rorybbellows wrote:Any musician who taps his/her feet should have them cut off and replaced with large sponges.

RORY
What about this compromise? (23 seconds into video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5q5fFVAnGs
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

Better a foot-tapping piper who plays in time than a non-tapper who's all over the shop
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/