Best high D for slow airs (fluteish sound)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Italian Rover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Best high D for slow airs (fluteish sound)

Post by Italian Rover »

Which are the most "fluteish" whistles on the market?

I just ordered a Goldfinch "airy tale" that should be good for this sound.
The Sweetheart should be perfect but is very expensive.
What about the Schlegel, a.k.a. Glenluce?
Some others brands/manifacturer?

Many thanks in advance
-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)
Feadoggie

Re: Best high D for slow airs (fluteish sound)

Post by Feadoggie »

There is no 'single' best whistle for airs or any other type of tune. It is strictly a matter of personal preference, style and taste.

I might change whistles depending on the particular air, what I wanted to get out of it, where the tune sits on the whistle, etc.. I favor whistles by Burke, Schultz, Copeland and O'Riordan. But I might also play a Feadog and a Gen tube with my own head on it. And I have a few others I might go to depending on the occasion, such as an Anderson, Busman, etc. Or I might play one of my own making.

I would expect other players to have a different list of preferred makers. Lots of good whistles out there from which to choose.

It is not about the whistle. It's about how you play it te whistle. The "best" whistle for you is the one on which you can express yourself the best. It becomes your voice.

Buy 'em all until you find what you like.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
megapop

Post by megapop »

Although I prefer my whistles to sound like whistles and my flutes to sound like flutes [cough] :), one whistle that gets described as flute-like quite frequently is the Clarke original. It's pretty breathy anyway... if that's what you're looking for.
Last edited by megapop on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
return null;
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Feadoggie wrote:There is no 'single' best whistle for airs or any other type of tune. It is strictly a matter of personal preference, style and taste.
I might change whistles depending on the particular air, what I wanted to get out of it, where the tune sits on the whistle, etc.. I favor whistles by Burke, Schultz, Copeland and O'Riordan. But I might also play a Feadog and a Gen tube with my own head on it. And I have a few others I might go to depending on the occasion, such as an Anderson, Busman, etc. Or I might play one of my own making.
I would expect other players to have a different list of preferred makers. Lots of good whistles out there from which to choose.
So, the "best" whistle for you is the one on which you can express yourself the best.
Buy 'em all until you find what you like.
Feadoggie
:thumbsup: That says it all very quick.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I agree with feadoggie... Some people say the Copeland, I'll agree but the closest I've ever experienced was when I had my hands on a Shaw low D....a flute player ran from the other room to see who was playing the flute in the next....mind you they are very breathy and take a lot of breath...evryone ones' opinion willl vary of course but these two have often been described as "flutey".
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

If the Sweetheart whistle is too expensive, then you've eliminated the best. :)

So its the best of any whistle under $250.00 USD.

As Feadoggie says, buy them all, but, I'll add high and low.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

If it's a "bottom D heavy" air, which they tend to be, i prefer to play it in D an my A whistle, to get a better "bottom D"
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

Many thanks for your replies.
Feadoggie is right, and (my girlfriend is getting angry) i'm becoming a whistle addicted. In the last 3 months i spent a lot of money buying whistles: an O'Brien Wooden Rover (i'm waiting for it since january), some Goldfinch... Anyway what i'm looking for is a whistle with an "airy" and mellow, round and sweet sound.
The Clarke is airy but not so mellow, my lovely Impempe has a great voice but too bright for he airs (in my opinion), the self-tweaked merlin lowD is a lowD!
I know: i'll become a single but with a huge whistle collection... :boggle:
-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

ytliek wrote:If the Sweetheart whistle is too expensive, then you've eliminated the best. :)
The sweetheart is my dream. I'll purchase him, one day... maybe a keyed one
Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:If it's a "bottom D heavy" air, which they tend to be, i prefer to play it in D an my A whistle, to get a better "bottom D"
great, this is a great solution!
many thanks
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Italian Rover wrote:...(my girlfriend is getting angry) i'm becoming a whistle addicted... ...I know: i'll become a single but with a huge whistle collection... :boggle:
Just buy your girlfriend the Sweetheart whistle, get her into WHOAD and reap the benefits. :D

Here are my Sweethearts (cheaper too!):

viewtopic.php?p=1142449#p1142449
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

ytliek, my whoa is really serious, but SERIOUS! No i cannot hurt her so much :D
(your whistles are amazing)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Italian Rover wrote: i spent a lot of money buying whistles: an O'Brien Wooden Rover (i'm waiting for it since january),
Italian Rover wrote: my lovely Impempe has a great voice
This is what I am getting at. :wink: :wink: Those are some very good whistles.

I tend to overlook some of my favored whistles on these posts. I do like my O'Brien Rover but I bought the delrin model and tend to use it as a, well, rover. It can play anything I throw at it though. Same with an Impempe. Ian makes some really good whistles, sounds good for airs. Let's add Hans Bracker to the list too, He should come up in one of these threads too. Can't overlook the Goldie either. I/we could go on...and probably will.

Terms like "flutey" or "fluteish" are very subjective. It will mean different things to different people. Some will think that means full of breath. Others will think it means crisp and pure. Other might think mellow and woody. While still others might interpret that to mean a round, ringing brass or other metal material sound. So that will get you a lot of varied responses. And at the end of the day a whistle is by definition a type of flute, so they all should sound flutey.

It's not about a particular whistle. Airs are about how you play, how you express the truth of the tune as you know it. So any whistle that you are most comfortable with should do the job.

Spend your time playing those airs on the whistles you have, while you are waiting for the Rover. Then try that one.

Don't listen to ytleik. He's an enabler! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Feadoggie on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Flutey sound is also a matter of embouchure. Any whistle can be made to sound more or less airy.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie wrote:
Italian Rover wrote: i spent a lot of money buying whistles: an O'Brien Wooden Rover (i'm waiting for it since january),
Italian Rover wrote: my lovely Impempe has a great voice
This is what I am getting at. :wink: :wink: Those are some very good whistles.
Feadoggie wrote:Don't listen to ytleik. He's an enabler! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I gave up all my vices in order to pursue my passion... the whistle. Sheer bliss.

Flutey to me is with wood, yes other whistle materials have it too, but, wood... just the thought makes me wanna buy another wood whistle today. :poke:

Moreover, I just recently obtained a set of Oz whistles that are plenty flutey, especially the "C". Also, a McManus in wood, however, it's a little purer sounding than the whistles mentioned.

@ Italian Rover, your budget may be well within Whorfin Whistle line. chas here C&F makes them:
viewtopic.php?p=1152953#p1152953
GoldTop

Post by GoldTop »

"Fluteish": If it's an Irish flute, it could sound dark, hard, and reedy; and in this case an Overton or Reyburn might be in order.

But, it sounds like your interest is more in line with a Boehm system flute sound; maybe a Burke or Copeland?

Have fun! :D