New tin whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheTinWhistleFan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

New tin whistle

Post by TheTinWhistleFan »

Hi everybody!
I am a newbie at tinwhistle. Currently, i have a Clarke Sweetone, and a Generation Bb.
I was thinking that i should buy another tin whistle, but i don't know which one?
I was thinking about:
1. Shaw eb or d whistle
2. Parks ghost whistle
3. Schlegel wooden whistle
Do you guys know these whistles? Do you like some of them, or do you have another idea for a whistle?
I like the regulars songs...
Thx for taking the time to read this!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: New tin whistle

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the whistle forum.

You have plenty of whistle(s) already.

You'll get all kinds of responses about other whistles.

And who am I to stifle that drive... excitement... go for it! Buy'em all high and low and high enders and low enders. Collect!

Enjoy the ride. :)
maki

Post by maki »

Welcome to the forum.
Of your short list, I like the Parks whistle.
Not on your list are Freemans Bluedird or Mellowdog whistles.
Which I believe to be tremendous for the price.

BTW, What is a regular song?
megapop

Post by megapop »

TheTinWhistleFan wrote:I was thinking that i should buy another tin whistle, but i don't know which one?
Well, why do you think you *should* by another whistle in the first place? You don't state why you don't like your current whistles or what exactly you are looking for, so it's hard to give a reasonable recommendation.

FWIW, from your list I've only played a couple of Shaws and their quality varies quite a bit IMO. If anything, I'd suggest to get another Generation-type whistle in D for the "classic" sound in the most common key.
return null;
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Two thoughts expressed here already that I would also recommend… The first being that you have plenty of whistles to learn on. Starting right off collecting whistles, before you've gotten a firm grip on playing techniques can often distract one from developing those techniques properly, and lead one to questioning a particular whistle's strengths rather than focusing on their weaknesses as a player. I also think that spending a solid year playing the same whistle helps to impart a much better understanding of whistles in general, so that when the time comes to "upgrade" you know exactly what it is that you are seeking, with respect to playing characteristics, in your next whistle.

The second thought pertains to Freeman tweaked whistles. While there exists a multitude of handcrafted whistles on the market, and each of them is good in it's own right, someone who is new to the whistle really can't do better than a Freeman tweaked whistle. In fact, even with all of the "high end" whistles that I've had or kept in my collection over the years, the Bluebird was and still remains a personal favorite of mine, since Jerry first introduced it. This year, my wife's class expressed a keen interest in the whistle (they are started on wooden pentatonic flutes in 1st grade, and the soprano recorder in 3rd grade, altos in 6th grade, in addition to learning a stringed instrument), so I was moved to provide them with some whistles and sheet music. One of the whistles I chose was the Freeman Bluebird, and they have all marveled over it to the extent that it is the one they all want to play, even though there are others available to them. I will be ordering one for each of them as a parting gift at the end of the year, when they will be transitioning to public high school. If your heart truly is set on buying another Irish whistle, the Bluebird is one I would also recommend that you consider.
Playing, not paying.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Yes, the Freeman Bluebird is a great whistle for beginners and experienced players alike. I basically learned how to play on a Bluebird whistle and it remains a mainstay in the whistle roll.
E = Fb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by E = Fb »

I have fallen in love with Feadog whistles. Minimal tweaking produces a loud, in-tune, sweet-sounding whistle with a strong low end. I rank the sound as almost as good as my $400 Abell. A company on Amazon called Photogitems will sell u one for $12 with free shipping.
Feadog's were not this good years ago. I'm impressed!
Tweaking that helps: Poster tack at the back of the fipple. Flatten the C a tad with tape.
Current stage of grief: Denial
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I agree with you about Feadogs...over the last 5ish years, I've had three pass through my hands (they're cheap, and I've given two away to kids who took a shine to the whistle). All were flat out good players with no tweaking at all (I'm pretty blase about the whole C being grand thing...I don't mind it being a tad sharp). I don't even blue tack them, but that's my preference.

Eric
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

Unfortunately it seems Freeman's Bluebirds are not available anymore, at least on Ebay .... I really would like trying one.

About untweaked Feadogs, I've been unlucky so far, as I bought maybe six of them through the past years, and all of them were too raspy sounding for me. I know a Feadog is known to have some sort of rudeness in the sound, and I'm expecting it, but not to such and extend. I guess someone must have put a spell on me. OTOH, I've got two good sounding Waltons ( out of three I bought ), once I put Feadog tubes on them.

I'm surprised Dixon Trad whistles don't get quoted more often when it comes to cheap whistles recommandations. They are easy-blowing, sweet sounding while retaining the trad-like sound, and in tune with themselves. Mine is one my favorites. On top of that, Tony Dixon sells spare heads alone for 9 £ a pack of two .
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

We all have different preferences and expectations about our whistles. It is one of the things which constantly amazes and amuses me about this worldwide online whistle community. Thankfully there is enough diversity in the available whistle supply to satisfy the expectations of most players.
Christophe wrote:About untweaked Feadogs, I've been unlucky so far, as I bought maybe six of them through the past years, and all of them were too raspy sounding for me. I know a Feadog is known to have some sort of rudeness in the sound, and I'm expecting it, but not to such and extend.
That is part of the Feadog sound. If you don't prefer that sound just buy another type of whistle. Some of us like 'em that way though.
Christophe wrote:OTOH, I've got two good sounding Waltons ( out of three I bought ), once I put Feadog tubes on them.
Now I would usually keep the Walton's tubes and make a new head and pitch the old Walton's noisemaker in the bin. We each like what we like.
Christophe wrote:I'm surprised Dixon Trad whistles don't get quoted more often when it comes to cheap whistles recommendations.
The Dixon trad gets mentioned quite often. It is well liked generally. At least that's my impression. It is just not in the "cheap" whistle category, at least not over here in the U.S.A.. You can buy three or four Gens or Feadogs for the price of one of those Dixons over here. Then again, it's all relative to one's finances.

This may be a matter of currency exchange rates too. When Dixon first offered whistles the exchange rates were such that they were an absolute bargain over here. Prices today are at least double what they were when I first started buying Dixon whistles. The Trad head spares go for $9 each over here. Not too long ago that would have gotten you an entire polymer Dixon, non-tunable of course - but same head structure as the Trad.

Enjoy your whistles.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Christophe wrote:Unfortunately it seems Freeman's Bluebirds are not available anymore, at least on Ebay .... I really would like trying one.
I don't think Jerry Freeman ever listed the Bluebird whistle on eThingy. I never understood why Bluebird wasn't listed though. I do think the Bluebird whistle is still available so contact Jerry Freeman by PM here on C&F or thru the eThingy website. The Bluebird is a worthwhile whistle.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I've got my best people on it even as we speak. Stand by for Bluebird eBay listing ...
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Here's the new eBay listing for key of D Bluebirds:

Freeman Tweaked Whistle Bluebird D Tin Penny LISTEN!

I've been meaning to put these on eBay for a long time. I apologize for taking so long.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

I'd just like to add that I, personally would steer clear of Shaw. The ones i have tried were all awful air hogs with wonky intonation and tone holes offline :(
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

The Schlegel is a really nice whistle, ideed.
-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)