Any young people here who haven't learned cursive?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

Any young people here who haven't learned cursive?

Post by Brus »

What do you see when you look at something like the Coca-Cola logo:

Coca-Cola

Is it just an abstract design to you like the Nike swoosh?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
an seanduine

Re: Any young people here who haven't learned cursive?

Post by an seanduine »

Now that is a blast from the past!

You've rung my geezer bell. I learned 'Palmer' cursive from a very old-school Grade School Teacher who wore heavy Nun style hightop lace shoes.
She told us to stop whining or she would break out the steel nibs and inkwells and teach us Spencerian Cursive. . . :o

:D
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Brus wrote:What do you see when you look at something like the Coca-Cola logo
I see "Bite the Wax Tadpole". Is that wrong?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Do they not standardly teach cursive in second and third grade anymore?
Brus

Post by Brus »

Sirchronique wrote:Do they not standardly teach cursive in second and third grade anymore?
Nope.

http://kitchentablemath.blogspot.com/20 ... art-2.html

Apparently very few places in the US still teach cursive in publikk skoolz. I don't know how much in the rest of the world, though I've seen stories about Chinese and Japanese youth no longer being able to write their characters by hand because they're so used to keyboarding them.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

I'm 26, and I learned cursive in public school in third grade. The Coca-Cola logo looks like words.

Congratulations! You've made me feel old. :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It never occurred to me that someone otherwise literate might not be able to read the Coca-Cola logo, but if cursive isn't being taught, I guess that would make sense. I take cursive in stride because I learned Palmer method in grade school, but that was a time when people still snailmailed letters and hand-writing them was expected; each person's script and style tended to be unique, and these were matter for observation and comment. If you typed - or block lettered - a personal letter, people thought there was probably something wrong with you. But now that I think of it, I can't remember when the last time was that I saw cursive handwriting, except perhaps from my mom.

In my youth I came to reject the Palmerian guidelines as aesthetically devoid of character, and developed my own script. I must say that learning cursive helped me read all but the most illegible handwriting, but I have a lot of trouble with modern tagging script styles. Beautiful to look at, but reading them is laborious for me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Brus

Post by Brus »

Nanohedron wrote:It never occurred to me that someone otherwise literate might not be able to read the Coca-Cola logo, but if cursive isn't being taught, I guess that would make sense.
I saw something on a blog (which I can't find now) written by a teacher saying that students who can't read cursive also have trouble with printed italic.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Brus wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:It never occurred to me that someone otherwise literate might not be able to read the Coca-Cola logo, but if cursive isn't being taught, I guess that would make sense.
I saw something on a blog (which I can't find now) written by a teacher saying that students who can't read cursive also have trouble with printed italic.
That's harder for me to get my head around. I mean, italic is the same as regular print, just slanty.
Brus wrote:I don't know how much in the rest of the world, though I've seen stories about Chinese and Japanese youth no longer being able to write their characters by hand because they're so used to keyboarding them.
Here's a Wikipedia article on Character Amnesia. It's enough of a phenomenon that the Japanese have a term for such people: Word Processor Idiot.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Well, the states have been left to their own decision whether to teach cursive writing or not. I for one, think its valuable to teach. The process includes thought, hand, eye coordination. Yes, keyboarding is also valuable. And yes, recess play time is also just as important if not more so, yet, recess gets restricted more and more.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/20 ... riting-die

I think the multiple languages present in the schools may be a hindering factor when considering cursive writing. Attention to detail was also taught with cursive dotting the i and crossing the t, consistency of lettering, neatness, etc., while keyboarding and internet lingo has somehow elevated abbreviated crappola slang as acceptable.

When the batteries and power go out then what do we do?

@Brus, your OP utilizing the CC logo didn't mention the bigger issue of profit-motivated softdrink corps establishing an early customer base within the school systems. Softdrink vending machines are being eliminated or severely restricted here abouts. Cursive or not. :)
Last edited by ytliek on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

There was a time a decade or more ago when Italic cursive was in vogue. It was even offered in public schools. Predictably it was segregated into the Art ghetto, and subsequently strangled with budget concerns.

If an individual's opinion and thought is not valued, what need is there for it to be beautifully expressed?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

stanton135 wrote:I'm 26, and I learned cursive in public school in third grade. The Coca-Cola logo looks like words.

Congratulations! You've made me feel old. :lol:

Same here! 26 as well..

I did not go to a public school, though. I asked about this after last replying to this thread, and the school I went to is still teaching cursive handwriting in third grade, fortunately.
Brus

Post by Brus »

ytliek wrote:@Brus, your OP utilizing the CC logo didn't mention the bigger issue of profit-motivated softdrink corps establishing an early customer base within the school systems. Softdrink vending machines are being eliminated or severely restricted here abouts. Cursive or not. :)
Well, I just picked a cursive logo kids would be familiar with, for whatever reason.

How about the Ford logo?:

Ford Logo
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I do not think you need have any concerned about kids being able to read logos in cursive or not.

Half the company logos out there are nonsense symbols anyway. Cursive is just more nonsense. Symbols is symbols. Symbolic recognition works with characters as well as any other graphic format.

Somehow I think they'll figure out the Budweiser logo when they want a beer or the Gibson logo when they want to play guitar and the Cadillac script when they want to buy a car. They may not be able to read the rest of the Budweiser label with the bits about the hops and malted barley though.

And even though I learned Palmer method in school at the hands of the nuns, I always wrote my correspondence in block letters. For some reason I abandoned cursive once I entered a science lab my first year in high school and I never went back to cursive. A career in programming with punch cards and key punch operators long before the advent of terminal entry for code just reinforced the habit.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Brus

Post by Brus »

Feadoggie wrote:I do not think you need have any concerned about kids being able to read logos in cursive or not.
I'm not worried. I'm curious. Do they see a word or just a shape?