Help with A and B high notes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChristopherB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Help with A and B high notes

Post by ChristopherB »

Hi All
I am new to the whistle and am having trouble getting the high A and B notes on my whistles. Can anyone offer any advice on how to play these notes? I have four whistles and have the same trouble on all of them so I am pretty sure the problem is me and not the whistles. Is it a matter of using the right embouchure? I know these notes require more air but more air just produces a horrible screeching scream. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits: Albert Einstein
Tommy

Re: Help with A and B high notes

Post by Tommy »

Hi Chris, welcome to C&F. What kind/brand whistle are you playing?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ChristopherB

Post by ChristopherB »

Hi Tommy I have a Feadog, a Clarkes Meg, A Clarke (the one with a wooden fipple, and a Susato V series whistle. All in the key of D
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits: Albert Einstein
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ChristopherB wrote:I know these notes require more air but more air just produces a horrible screeching scream.
Sounds like too much more air. You don't need to increase the pressure hugely for the second octave, but it can take a bit of a kick to get them over the breaking point. So maybe try tonguing them just now to get them started if you're not finding the spot through pressure change alone, but careful not to overdo it!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Brus

Post by Brus »

Is the fipple too far into your mouth? The lips should just cover enough of the fipple to prevent leakage and no more. Then you hit the high notes by pursing your lips so the air hole is smaller. You're really increasing the air speed, rather than blowing "harder".
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I agree with the tongueing recommendation. That tiny burst of air is enough to get those note so speak (as well as the high C# and D). Once that happens, the note can be sustained if needed with less air.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ScotsJim

Post by ScotsJim »

ChristopherB wrote:Hi All
I am new to the whistle and am having trouble getting the high A and B notes on my whistles. Can anyone offer any advice on how to play these notes? Chris
Try slightly rounding the shape of your mouth ( almost as if about to whistle ) for the high notes. To understand the difference in sound / air flow that this makes, play some low notes as usual, then round your mouth and play them again. I am originally a recorder player, and this was a tip I read years ago in some recorder book or other. It worked for me :)
ChristopherB

Post by ChristopherB »

Thanks to all who replied to my post, it's good to get constructive help.
Chris
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Just like having trouble with the way your car is running, or having medical issues, a beginner's problems with musical instruments are difficult to diagnose and cure over the internet. A get-together with an experienced player would make perfectly clear what is happening.

Could you record yourself playing and post it here? Then we would know more. But there's no substitute for having an experienced player actually play your instruments, to determine how much is due to the instruments, and how much is due to the player.

I've found this particularly true with beginning uilleann pipers. It's amazing how some beginners can get a chanter that's working perfectly to make the strangest sounds, and how a maladjusted reed can produce odd sounds though in the hands of a good player, and how sometimes the two things sound similar. I can only tell which is which by playing the beginner's chanter myself.

About whistles, I've encountered plenty of whistles over the years (Generations, Feadogs, and their ilk) which only made squeaking noises in the 2nd octave. The heads were poorly moulded with flash and/or misalignment of the various parts of the mould. An experienced whistle player with a sharp Exacto knife might or might not be able to get such a whistle to play.

But yes high B in particular is a special note on many whistles, requiring a specific blowing to sound right.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ChristopherB

Post by ChristopherB »

Unfortunately i don't have a microphone, neither do I know anybody else who plays the whistle, but thanks for your advice. I am making some progress in playing high A and B
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Sorry to chime in late, but are you scared of these notes? When I used to teach classes for beginners, I found that often people were afraid to play these notes assertively.

Afraid of making a lot of noise, or a horrible noise - a self-fulfilling fear because the hesitation resulted in the effects you describe. So very early on I would introduce a slow tune in which these notes were important (usually Bonnie at Morn in B minor).

If this is the case for you, get over your fear of making lots of noise, blow, and revel in the insane volume levels of your high B. And maybe find somewhere to practise where you are not worried about disturbing others, if that is a factor.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

High B can be fingered XOOXXX on many whistles and high C# OOOXXX. Use of such fingering makes for an easier to reach note and I find these fingerings very helpful when playing up at the top end. I don't know what other players feel about such fingerings but try out the B and see what you think.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mikethebook wrote: I don't know what other players feel about such fingerings but try out the B and see what you think.
That is a good suggestion, Mike. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That fingering works on a lot of whistles. It is one of what I tend to call "lazy" fingerings. But there is really nothing particularly lazy about it.

The high A can also be hit using a XXO OXX fingering on many whistles - and for the same acoustic reason.

These fingering are known widely enough by whistlers that I am sure they are considered legitimate fingering options. You'll have to judge the tuning for yourself on your own whistles. At the very least leaving lower hand fingers down should be enough to increase your chances of hitting these high notes cleanly.

Once you sound the note you should be able to lift the lower fingers and retain the tone. Again, you have to judge the tuning yourself if you are doing that. Context within the tune sometimes make these a less than convenient fingerings. But it is useful to know they are there.

There are also a couple of harder ways to hit the high A and B using harmonic tones. Not what you want to know about in this thread though. But in the interrest of sharing ... This is easier to do on a flute than it is on many whistles. The A is a harmonic of the D fingering. Hold 'em all down XXX XXX and vary your blowing velocity until you hear the A. The high B can be generated the same way with a XXX XXO fingering. Try it.

But at the end of the day I would be thinking along with StevieJ on hitting the high notes. Go for it - with confidence.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ChristopherB

Post by ChristopherB »

Hi StevieJ You have hit the nail on the head, I was quite scared of the racket I made trying to get high a and b. I'm still a bit wary but have gained a bit of confidence as I have continued to practice. Many thanks for your advice!

Thanks mikethebook for the alternate fingerings of high B and C# I will certainly try them out.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I struggled with second octave A and B for a long time on my Low D (to the extent of wondering about finding an easier whistle to play) but constant practice has made me relax, and relaxation has led to a much less strident and easily obtained sound. I have made a point of seeking out tunes that have challenged me to get used to the high notes. The Cliffs of Moher and Bill Hart's Jig both include A & B (indeed with rolls on the A and cuts on the B) and I can now play them without problem . . . eventually with ornamentation. Let me encourage you that it will come with practice, but it doesn't do any harm to pick out pieces that force you to play A and B.

Thanks for your comments Feadoggie. Interesting stuff. I can't play XXOOXX for high A on my Goldie Low D (it comes out well out of tune) but I can play the harmonics you suggest without problem though when I would choose to use those fingerings I don't know. I wonder whether any of the pro low whistle players use such harmonic fingerings on occasion. Do the harmonics continue in the same way i.e. C# with XXX XOO, D with XXX OOO and third octave E with XXO OOO?