Garage

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Just wondering how you say it.

guh RAWZH
24%
GARE awzh
No votes
guh RODGE
24%
GARE idge
No votes
GA ridge
24%
Other
29%

Total votes: 17

ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Garage

Post by ytliek »

#3 and everything in there but the car. It is meant for storage, no?
chas

Post by chas »

ytliek wrote:#3 and everything in there but the car. It is meant for storage, no?
Mine is half shed, half workshop.

It is attached, rear-loading, basement-level. Whoever came up with that one has to be nuts. I would have to shovel over 100 feet/30 meters of driveway to get my car to the road after a snowstorm. There's no getting up the thing without shoveling because it's so steep. Since I don't care about the finish of my car, the only reason to put it in a garage is to keep it out of the snow.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

mutepointe wrote:There is nothing sounding like a z in our pronunciation.
I'ts not a z, Mute. The "zh" is a conventional way of writing the soft j sound, like the z in "azure" or the French j in "Jacques". As opposed to "dge" for the hard j sound in "John". And in your syllable "raj", it's not clear which one you mean.
stanton135 wrote:I distinguish my cots and caughts.
Me too. I think Nano's "rawzh" is the "caught" vowel. But since "caught" and "cot" are in free variation by region, #1 can stand for both.

I just looked for an online text-to-speech translator for IPA notation to create unambiguous audio links for the pronunciations, but couldn't find anything convenient. :sniffle:

Nano, you've created a monster.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

chas wrote:
ytliek wrote:#3 and everything in there but the car. It is meant for storage, no?
Mine is half shed, half workshop.

It is attached, rear-loading, basement-level. Whoever came up with that one has to be nuts. I would have to shovel over 100 feet/30 meters of driveway to get my car to the road after a snowstorm. There's no getting up the thing without shoveling because it's so steep. Since I don't care about the finish of my car, the only reason to put it in a garage is to keep it out of the snow.
There is a workbench buried the furthest within the garage. I have a wrap around the house driveway (all the neighborhood does too) from the 1950s (WWII track housing) and when it snows... everyone parks their vehicles up at the top/street, otherwise, no one would get out from the garage.

And the garage dimensions are the absolute minimum for any automobile. No lincolns nor caddy's here. Moreover, since super storm Hurricane Sandy the house/property, especially the basement level garage, is now designated "flood zone" and requires special insurance. I just recently finished the flood damage repair from Sandy.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
mutepointe wrote:There is nothing sounding like a z in our pronunciation.
I'ts not a z, Mute. The "zh" is a conventional way of writing the soft j sound, like the z in "azure" or the French j in "Jacques". As opposed to "dge" for the hard j sound in "John".
Exactamundo.
MTGuru wrote:And in your syllable "raj", it's not clear which one you mean.
Right. I wondered did he mean "rodge" or "radge". I don't see what's problematic with this end of my attempts at phonetic rendering; after all, we all know how to pronounce "lodge" and "badge", so that part of it should at least be easy. As for the "zh", I'm disappointed to learn that it's not as univerally understood among the literate as I thought. I mean, c'mon: how else should you pronounce zaporozhye or Dzerzhinsky? :wink:
MTGuru wrote:
stanton135 wrote:I distinguish my cots and caughts.
Me too. I think Nano's "rawzh" is the "caught" vowel. But since "caught" and "cot" are in free variation by region, #1 can stand for both.
That was the intent. I myself don't really distinguish between "cot" and "caught".
MTGuru wrote:I just looked for an online text-to-speech translator for IPA notation to create unambiguous audio links for the pronunciations, but couldn't find anything convenient. :sniffle:
Too late I remembered the differences in rendering pronunciations as seen in US and UK spelling conventions. As I was logging in to check on this thread, I regretted that I hadn't offered sound samples instead.
MTGuru wrote:Nano, you've created a monster.
I'll take that as an upside.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Thanks. My mind glazed over every time this was the topic in spelling. I was going to need Algebra way before I would ever need phonics.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:Thanks. My mind glazed over every time this was the topic in spelling. I was going to need Algebra way before I would ever need phonics.
Yes, and look what happened. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

BigDavy wrote:I would concur with Peter regarding the Gare but in my area of Scotland the Ga would sound more like the Fa.
Think there's pretty well a continuum between the two for me with the bad/cat sound more likely under drawn-out emphasis and the fa quite possible when just saying it quickly.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

weedie wrote:Down here it's Gah-rarge Classy individuals,like,ahem,myself,call them sheds :) .. That's when the car is left outside in the street and the good stuff is kept in the shed !
''Man Cave''
In this area, and I am sure other areas, to put up a small shed for only a minimum amount of lawn machines/tools.
The garage is then converted into ''The Man Cave". The pick up truck is parked outside, and the boat is out back under a blue tarp. The Harley can stay. First thing into the Man Cave is the largest size flat screen TV obtainable wired up with the stereo & speakers. If the neighbors can't see and hear the football game the screen/speakers are to small. Permission and funding for this transition can be gained in buying her a new refrigerator then converting the old one into a kegerator. http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Nanohedron wrote:
mutepointe wrote:Thanks. My mind glazed over every time this was the topic in spelling. I was going to need Algebra way before I would ever need phonics.
Yes, and look what happened. :wink:
Whew. I was worried someone might get their eye poked out.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

mutepointe wrote:Whew. I was worried someone might get their eye poked out.
Yes, we don't want Mutie waving around no linguistics. Man, what were you thinking?
Tommy wrote:''Man Cave''
It's called the Inner Sanctum. The garage door even creaks like a banshee. And no, you can't come in.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I like "lair". "Welcome to my lair" sounds good.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Unless you pronounce raj like the word (as in "Decline of the Raj").
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

s1m0n wrote:
Unless you pronounce raj like the word (as in "Decline of the Raj").
Except that I think Americans are likely to pronounce that either way, too. The Free Dictionary online gives the soft j as American, and the hard j as British.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/raj