Survey: Pocket Knives

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Choose your weapon:

Swiss Army knife
23%
Traditional pocket knife
23%
Modern pocket knife
15%
Opinel
4%
Leatherman/Multitool
19%
Fixed blade
4%
Other
12%
Knife? You want me to be arrested?
No votes

Total votes: 26

MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Survey: Pocket Knives

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:How does one get by with just one choice in this poll?
I know, I know. :-)

I figured if I allowed multiple choices, then a lot of people like you (or me) would end up checking/ticking everything. So "favorite" means your desert island knife (not literally, I hope) or your usual preference for EDC (Everyday Carry).

I'm surprised there are no Opinels yet. They're better known in Europe than in North America. But I understand that pipers like them for reed carving, and my Opinel #8 is often my second choice. Elegantly simple, and pretty mean looking.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

When/where I grew up, a boy carried a pocket knife for as long as I can remember.

To this day I still like the feel of a good old Barlow two-blade in my hand or pocket.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

My knives have to be cheap, folding, single 2" blade carbon steel. I hate stainless... Bob
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chuck_Clark wrote:To this day I still like the feel of a good old Barlow two-blade in my hand or pocket.
That name and description rang a bell, so I checked here in my computer desk drawer, and wouldn'tcha know, an old Barlow that's seen some years. Looks just like the one below - only if I'm seeing aright, the large blade on mine is a tad longer, and the steel and handle are the worse for looks like it'd been banging around in your granddad's toolbox for years:

It's another inevitable bit of retro around the house.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

How does one get by with just one choice in this poll?
I'm in the same boat on that. I've got a good many more knives than whistles, even than whistles and flutes, including a half dozen carbon steel fixed blades that I've forged and finished myself.

Most recently, when I'm not carrying my cell phone in my right front pocket, I've got a Kershaw Onion on hand. They are nice, light, open very quickly, and are easily replaceable. Not as threatening looking as the classic Schrade hunter I used to carry, or as innocuous as a Swiss Army knife, but a well made tool none the less:

I'm also of the age where kids carried knives in their pockets to school, but never had one at the time. Probably why I have so many now (though that doesn't explain the whistles...). All things being equal, I'd love to carry one of my fixed blade full tang belt knives, but it wouldn't be very PC and isn't much fun getting in and out of the car, office chair... with one.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

robert schuler wrote:single 2" blade carbon steel. I hate stainless
Funny, I'm just the opposite. I know high-carbon steel can generally take a sharper edge, but I just don't have the patience to care for it properly. I like shiny. Oooooh, shiny! :)

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I'd still choose stain
robert schuler wrote: I hate stainless...
Sure. A high carbon blade is preferable in most cases. I'd still choose stainless if I am going kayaking in salt water just for the maintenance concerns. It won't carry and edge as well as carbon steel but it won't corrode as fast either.

Are many folks here making their own knives?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Latticino wrote:a half dozen carbon steel fixed blades that I've forged and finished myself.
Where are you? Is your skill and interest connected to living in traditional knife country - lower Hudson Valley or Camillus/Great Lakes? Or something you got into independently?

Latticino

Post by Latticino »

MTGuru wrote:Where are you? Is your skill and interest connected to living in traditional knife country - lower Hudson Valley or Camillus/Great Lakes? Or something you got into independently?
Just something I got into independently, though I suppose I'm up in Camillus/Great Lakes/Scrade country these days.

I've done some blacksmith work recently, mostly to keep myself occupied working with my hands. Spend too much time in front of a computer these days and miss the time when I was a full time glass blower. I like sharp pointy stuff, so have been drawn to bladesmithing (someday hope to make a decent folder, but haven't graduated from fixed blades yet). Took a class or two at the local blacksmithing guild and have built myself a small shop in the backyard. Nice hobby, but very competitive these days as an avocation. Maybe if I ever get to retire... :thumbsup:
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
maki

Post by maki »

I've built some knives from kits and old files.
Nothing serious.
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Unfortunately the laws in the UK are such that carrying a knife is illegal now. You may carry a knife with a 3 inch blade but you need to have a very good reason, such as on a fishing trip . I used to carry a small Opinel for many years and was of the opinion that I would rather have one and not need it than the other way round.

I stopped carrying a knife when I was aware of friends who had faced charges for carrying similar pocket knives without a good reason.
In work I use a leatherman but it stays in my drawer when I leave for the day. It is a sad case when a 42 year old man can't carry a small utility knife in his pocket or rucksack yet anyone over 18 years old may buy fireworks, air rifles, petrol and any chemicals without a licence.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Next they'll be banning sticks and stones over there.
Brus

Post by Brus »

Loren wrote:Next they'll be banning sticks and stones over there.
They'll also ban hands and feet, lest anyone slap or kick somebody.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Ha ha. It's kind of irritating that I can't carry my athame - which is a beauty, hand-made by a guy who is either out of business or trading under a different name now - but I'm glad it's difficult for those buggers who insist on carrying swords to rituals. Why? Is this a Crocodile Dundee sort of thing? Never got that. Not into blots.

I have an Opinel - in fact I have a few Opinels - but don't carry it around. The blade is probably the least-used function of my Swiss-army knife. Long years ago I established that the Victorinox "Waiter" was the one I needed. It allowed me to to more than half the jobs I needed to do when I was Handyman at the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh. (For a whole year.) The "Waiter" has a plain blade, a corkscrew, and a blade that functions as screwdriver, can-opener and wire-stripper (which I've never used). It also conceals a tiny toothpick and a pair of tweezers.

In fact I've grown to love my Swiss-Army knife so much that I tend to panic if it gets lost, and buy a spare. One day I worked out that I have five spare knives of exactly the same sort. I gave one to my partner. (Insisting that she pay me the penny - it's the Irish Tradition that if you give someone a blade, they must pay you for it, or it will sever your relationship.) She has had it for six months, and says she wonders how she ever managed without it.

Part of the usefulness is that it isn't one of those clunky monstrosities that tries to do everything.
One day my Mother got me a cheap knock-off of a multiblade knife pretending to be a SAK. The first time I used the corkscrew, it pulled out straight. That's how good it was. It became landfill, pretty quickly.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Loren wrote:Next they'll be banning sticks and stones over there.
As long as they don't ban Flutes, funny enough I once made a flute out of 1/2 " galvanised pipe it played in about 1 1/2 octaves and I used to carry it with me to band practice when I lived in Belfast, just in case I got into trouble on the way there or home. Never had to use it thankfully.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK