My ROSE arrived at lunch today...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

My ROSE arrived at lunch today...

Post by Bretton »

Hello, here's a photo of my newly arrived whistle:

The fitted case that came with it is nice and has a belt clip on the back. I think this must be a new thing because I havne't heard anyone else mention it.

I just picked the whistle up from my post box while at lunch so I've only had a chance to play it for about 5 minutes and really shouldn't comment much on the sound/playability (more on that in a few days). And, now that I've said I shouldn't comment on the sound, I do have a couple of early observations. The whistle favors the upper octave and is just a bit weak on the lower octave because of this. It even broke up into the 3rd octave once (maybe it thinks it's a fife)...I'm sure this won't be a problem once I've had more time with it. It's not a loud whistle...In many ways it's really quite similar to Tony Dixon's whistles in sound.

The whistle looks very nice! Although, I think I would have preferred plain old brass to the gold plate, which looks a bit too flashy for my tastes. The finish of the wood is very good. In the literature that came with the whistle, Fred states that he uses a "non-toxic, drying oil" to protect the whistle. Some evidence of this "drying" can be seen on the ends of the whistle and around the tone holes. There are spots where it looks like it has wet oil seeping out of the wood, but it is hard and dry to the touch. I think I'd prefer that these spots had been buffed off or something, but not a big deal.

Overall so far I'd say it will make a great whistle for recording, indoor use, and small group playing, but one might need a louder whistle for big sessions.

more later,

-Brett :party:
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I hope you enjoy it, Brett! The Roses are sensitive souls, and I think you'd be surprised at how well they poke through a session and are heard, even if they're not 'loud'.

NICE case!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
corleyf

Post by corleyf »

You didn't say how long it took to get and how much it cost and what wood is it? Was the case included in the price? Looks great from here. Enjoy and keep us posted on the sound. Thanks.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I have commented from time to time on whistles I have bought that I love, but I am in Whistle Heaven with the Rose I just purchased.

It is some temperamental if not handled just right, and I can see how if you like to really BLOW you might prefer something like a Copeland. I don't find the lower octave weak at all, on mine, the trasition between octaves is effortless, and the upper octave just sings.

This whistle is my Nirvana. You may think it's flashy, but I think it is absolutely beautiful with the blackwood set off by gold bands. But it's the sound that knocks me off my feet!! I bought it on an impulse, and am happier than I've ever been with a whistle, no doubt!! If I never buy another whistle, I'll be satisfied that I already have the best there is. And that's about all I have to say about my Rose whistle.

Mary
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

corleyf wrote:You didn't say how long it took to get and how much it cost and what wood is it? Was the case included in the price? Looks great from here. Enjoy and keep us posted on the sound. Thanks.
I paid $280 US dollars.

Well...it took longer than it should have (my fault, not Fred's). I waited about 4 months after I placed my order the first time, but didn't have any money when my whistle was ready so Fred moved me down to the bottom of the list and I worked my way back up. I think I ended up waiting another 7 months after that for about 11 months total.

It's made of blackwood (with a cedar fipple), gold plated brass fittings and a brass tuning slide.

The case and a cleaning rod were included in the price (shipping was also included).

-Brett
nickt

Post by nickt »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I have commented from time to time on whistles I have bought that I love, but I am in Whistle Heaven with the Rose I just purchased.

It is some temperamental if not handled just right, and I can see how if you like to really BLOW you might prefer something like a Copeland. I don't find the lower octave weak at all, on mine, the trasition between octaves is effortless, and the upper octave just sings.

This whistle is my Nirvana. You may think it's flashy, but I think it is absolutely beautiful with the blackwood set off by gold bands. But it's the sound that knocks me off my feet!! I bought it on an impulse, and am happier than I've ever been with a whistle, no doubt!! If I never buy another whistle, I'll be satisfied that I already have the best there is. And that's about all I have to say about my Rose whistle.

Mary
For once a pro-Rose quote that's not from me! I agree with everything Mary's said including the volume/octave balance issue.

BTW, a plus of the gold bands is that they don't tarnish and cleaning brass next door to blackwood can affect the wood over time. Good thinking, Fred. And I WANT one of those new cases!
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

nickt wrote:
For once a pro-Rose quote that's not from me!
Yup, if Nick could marry Fred Rose he would! I'd love one, but not until my whistling skills can do it justice!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
nickt

Post by nickt »

Martin Milner wrote:
nickt wrote:
For once a pro-Rose quote that's not from me!
Yup, if Nick could marry Fred Rose he would! I'd love one, but not until my whistling skills can do it justice!
:boggle: :o Excuse me but! Both Fred and I have a pair of very nice girls thank you very much! (One each that is!)

On a more serious note Martin, I'll warrant you're a better player than me, but playing the Rose makes me better and makes me want to play more - go on, buy one!
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Congrats on your new whistle!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Congrats on receiving your Rose.I ordered mine in sept. 2001,after reading Mick Woodruff's glowing review.My Rose duly arrived in Jan. 2002.
The workmanship is first class-the whistle just oozes quality,Mind you I also thought that using Gold was just a little ostentatious-though I see now that it has reasons of practicality(plus you don't get to taste brass,or get to suck wood,apart from the fipple!).
I also like the new type of case-mine came with a green felted case,but 'lives' in the fitted heavy duty cardboard that it came in.No cleaning rod was provided.
This is the only wooden whistle that I own,and too be honest,it's the only wooden whistle that I think that I will ever need.I think that the price is very fair for the work that Fred puts into his instruments-he was also very informative when I thanked him, over the phone,shortly after the whistle arrived.
To be perfectly honest,this isn't a whistle that I play as much as I should- being an Irish Trad. wannabe(who suffers from advanced Whoa!),I tend mainly to play my Sindts and Gens.,though I occassionally feel guilty and play bits of O'Carolan and slow airs on the Rose.
Nice bloke,nice whistle-especially if you like a pure yet 'warm' sounding quality instrument.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

nickt: Right you are, about the playing getting better with the Rose ~ It's a pleasure to play, has almost as much expression as my flute, just a higher voice!

I'll have to admit, I wasn't initially interested in Rose based on some of the samples I had heard on Clips and Snips, but thought very highly of the sound of the Silkstone, so I bought one of those instead.

Lets just say, I never play my Silkstone, but I wouldn't part with my Rose for anything. I think my Whoa has finally ended. :boggle:

Mary
Bretton

Post by Bretton »

An update on my ROSE whistle:

Just in case anyone is curious...

I still find the lower E and D notes a bit weak (weak enough that I feel obligated to mention it). From low F on up to high B the whistle is amazing. For some reason high C# is another problem area...it's almost impossible to get a clean high C# to sound. Oddly enough, high D (3rd octave) is just fine. I rarely use anything above high B so it's not a problem for me.

The only other problem area I've noticed is that this whistle really wants you to play high D (2nd octave) with the top finger off (oxx xxx). If you don't it will squeak at you on fast transitions from lower to upper octave (much more so than any other whistle I have).

In general it is a great whistle...the workmanship is 1st rate (maybe just the slightest bit below that of Copeland and Abell, but in the top 3 of heigh-end whistles I've owned.

At the end of April I have my first solo performance...a "flip-side" event at work where we're supossed to showcase our other (non-work related) talents. I'm a bit nervous about this but very glad I have the Rose since I think it's an ideal whistle for indoor and solo playing and isn't too loud/screetchy on the highest few notes.

-Brett
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Brett,

Thanks for your *objective* review by the way. No whistle is perfect, and it's great to read a review that has pros and cons, instead of the "this whistle is the most amazing whistle in the world" stuff. I'm sure many base their decisions on reviews, and from my point of view, some reviewers/commenters just don't have a clue about how a whistle should be played, and it often causes frustration at the end of the line.

I'm sure Rose whistles are good whistles, but I tried an Abell recently, which is similar from what I can hear, and I'm just not crazy about the whistle, but I'm not gonna get into this matter here! :-)