How fast did you learn the whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How fast did you learn the whistle?

Post by Kar »

Specifically, if you NEVER played another wind instrument, how long did it take you to be able to play the whistle without squaking & squealing? I'm not talking about mastering music or anything else, not even making it sound GOOD, but just to make the whistle make the right notes.

I ask because my mother has been playing for a few months and she said she JUST got it to sound OK and not squeak. I played recorder for a couple of months before the whistle, so I could play fine immediately--but even the recorder only took a few days for me!

She insists that the reason I picked up on these instruments quickly was because I am talented and a "natural" but I think she's just having a harder than normal time. Please, help settle a family dispute!

I also don't know what kind of whistle she has so maybe she got some terrible Gen or something....
Jack

Post by Jack »

It took me about 4 days to get the note to come out steadily. Breath control was a HUGE part of it. You have to learn to breath correctly, and it's harder than it sounds.

Also, having the right books/tutorials helped a lot. TEN times more than online tutorials. There's something about an actual book that lets me absorb more than reading a webpage.

Also, since you don't know what kind of whistle it is, are you sure it's even a whistle?
Last edited by Jack on Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pthouron

HOW LONG

Post by pthouron »

Kar,

I picked up my first whistle two months ago with NO prior experience with such instruments. It took me about three days to be able to produce an acceptable note, a couple more to be able to play notes in sequence and about a week to be able to play a (very) simple tune.

Mind you, my first whistle was a Low G, which is supposedly harder than starting out with a soprano. Since then I got a Dixon Sop.D and indeed find it a whole lot easier.

Finally, although I can play a few things, I am FAR from being proficient and still lack quitea bit of technique, but I am already having fun, which is what counts, right?
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I don't know exactly how long it took me to make it not squak or squeak; probably a week or two, but the reason I probably didn't pick it up faster is because I live in an apartment complex and I was always a bit scared about using the second octave or sustain any note for a long period of time. So I tried to avoid it as much as possible. Since no one complained, I play at full force now until someone comes a knockin' one day.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Gunnar wrote:I don't know exactly how long it took me to make it not squak or squeak; probably a week or two, but the reason I probably didn't pick it up faster is because I live in an apartment complex and I was always a bit scared about using the second octave or sustain any note for a long period of time. So I tried to avoid it as much as possible. Since no one complained, I play at full force now until someone comes a knockin' one day.
Know what you mean... I have to deal with a dubious wife and a sarcastic 14-yr old son. That'll leave scars on your playing pride!!!
trisha

Post by trisha »

At least you can shut the door on the 14yo son.......I suffer from Beehive Syndrome.

Whenever I pick up a whistle up to four under fourteens descend on my space, pick up any whistle they can lay their hands on and in any Key :o and join in to the best (or worst) of their abilities, often a different tune altogether (sometimes recognisable). I can only liken the cacophany to a Beehive.

I bought my six yo son his own SweetOne as, having looked throught the pics in the Low Whistle book, he has realised that Real Men Play Whistles (even if his Dad doesn't!!). :)

Trisha
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I started off with a LBW and the instruction sheet that came with the whistle. It was fun, I already knew a bit on reading music and I knew which holes corralated to which notes . . . but man, did I sound awful! I was trying to play in our finished (meaning carpeted) garage one night and my mom heard me and broke out laughing. I didn't know how to seperate two notes of the same pitch, so I'd puff in little bursts. It's so funny to think back five or so years, I'm grinning as I type!
I made progress with Bill Oches book and tape, but even then it was a while before it started to sound nice. I bought a Clark Sweettone and sat down with the material every night. At first, playing simple things was easy, but when I got to songs that were in 6/8 time, for example, it would stump me for weeks.
I never played an instument as a child(apart from fooling around on keyboard) so I didn't have a reference point to start from. And no one in my family is musical, exect for my mother, who had a good singing voice in high school.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Re: How fast did you learn the whistle?

Post by littlejohngael »

Kar wrote:She insists that the reason I picked up on these instruments quickly was because I am talented and a "natural" but I think she's just having a harder than normal time.
I'm in the same boat, Kar. ... or am I in the same kar, Boat. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though, I seemed to be able to pick it up pretty quick, but I've always been able to do that with music. I can hear a song once or twice and sing it through by memory pretty easily. My wife hates that. So I get the "natural" bit as well.

All that to say, I don't know you, but would be inclined to side with your mother on this one. ... you're a natural. HOWEVER, you could remind her that you had to get those genes from someone, and therefore, she should just practice a wee bit harder, 'cause she's probably a natural of sorts as well. ...

All the best,

Little John
Groovehead

Post by Groovehead »

I hear that! When my wife left, she said that she would miss me, but she wouldn't miss the whistles... :lol:

Of course, she just IM'd me a little while ago and asked me to send her one... :lol:

I had never touched a whistle before January of this year. Withing a few days I had worked up Hector the Hero (after playing it along with Mick Woodruff and Gary Humphrey's awesome recording of it a few hundred times...) to the point that it didn't sound terrible.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I've been playing recorder (though not too seriously) on and off for the last 35 years, so I was able to get decent sounding notes (and tongue reasonably well) from the start.

But it took me a bit to straighten out the fingering - a whistle fingers almost, but not quite, like a recorder in the first octave (though as a bonus whistle doesn't require the odd fingerings the upper second octave needs in recorder). Took me a few days before I wasn't trying to finger F# as XXX 0X0 rather than XXX X00 when my concentration slipped.

But the real difference, for me, was moving away from sheet music - I've memorized a few recorder tunes, but most tunes I played from paper, not the heart.

Though I practice every day, I'm not pushing myself too hard - at this point, I try to learn one or two new tunes a week (while practicing all the old ones enough to retain them) - mostly from the Bill Ochs tutor, though I've also mined the Walton's Irish Music series and _A_Dossan_of_Heather_.

With that schedule - I started at the end of last November, and had 5 or 6 tunes I could play half-way acceptably by the end of December, the most challenging being "The Boys of Bluehill". Now, I've rather lost count - 30+ tunes I can play reasonably well from memory, though some are fairly simple ("Red River Valley", "Yankee Doodle" and the like). Most recently learned are "Napoleon's Grand March" from the Bill Ochs book and "The Shae o' Rye" from _A_Dossan_of_Heather_

But I've got a long ways to go before I stop improving - my timing needs a lot of work, I need to improve my breathing technique, I need to start working much more seriously on ornamentation . . .
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

[quote="Kar"]
She insists that the reason I picked up on these instruments quickly was because I am talented and a "natural" but I think she's just having a harder than normal time. Please, help settle a family dispute!
quote]

Your mother is right. :)

Paulsdad
Cori

Thanks for asking!

Post by Cori »

Good question, Kar - reading the answers here has been very interesting, since I'm on Day 3 of whistle playing. Previous wind instrument experience was 3 months of flute lessons 15 years ago. So far I can play tunes that don't require any high notes! And I'm loving it!

Can also totally relate to the people who have troubles playing at home - I'm in a rented bedroom, and so have to go out in the park to practice. It's all very windy/spacious/fresh-air romantic except I can't listen to music out there (no tape Walkman) and paper music is kinda tricky to hold down with my elbows while I play it.
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Kar, I'm just wondering what kind of whistle your mother has. Some are more temperamental than others, and some are just godawful (I have a couple of those). Maybe you should indulge in a little bit of WhOA and get her another whistle to try, or let her try yours for a while.

Robin
Bran

Post by Bran »

paulsdad wrote:
Kar wrote: She insists that the reason I picked up on these instruments quickly was because I am talented and a "natural" but I think she's just having a harder than normal time. Please, help settle a family dispute!
quote]

Your mother is right. :)

Paulsdad
Your mother is right.
Mothers are always right
starman

Re: Thanks for asking!

Post by starman »

Cori wrote:Good question, Kar - reading the answers here has been very interesting, since I'm on Day 3 of whistle playing. Previous wind instrument experience was 3 months of flute lessons 15 years ago. So far I can play tunes that don't require any high notes! And I'm loving it!

Can also totally relate to the people who have troubles playing at home - I'm in a rented bedroom, and so have to go out in the park to practice. It's all very windy/spacious/fresh-air romantic except I can't listen to music out there (no tape Walkman) and paper music is kinda tricky to hold down with my elbows while I play it.
This sounds like me! I walked 1/2 mile to the lake at lunch yesterday at work just to practice the scales and I still kept looking over my shoulder. I try to sneak in a few moments before bedtime upstairs while the rest of the family is downstairs watching television but I'm very reluctant to try for notes in the 2nd octave else they'll notice or the dogs will bark I've been "at it" for 3 days too.

Mike

[[/list]
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein