Whistle of the Month.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ThomasNashJohnson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle of the Month.

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

This month has seen a number of new whistles added to my 'collection':

2 x OAK D - Excellent

2 x OAK C - Excellent (as good, perhaps slightly better than the D's)

3 x Generation Bb (Nickel) - The one I've played is very nice, especially the lower octave.

1 x Killarney D - Plays well, the head is beautifully engineered and robust, however it does have a somewhat 'top heavy' feeling I don't care for and I'd have preferred a brass tube to match the head, but all in all it seems little more than a very expensive Generation (sorry)

And the winner is:

1 x Dixon D Polymer one piece - Lovely whistle, well made, lightweight, great tone and intonation, a joy to play, I wish I'd had this when I started playing two years ago.
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
ickabod

Re: Whistle of the Month.

Post by ickabod »

This month for me:

1 Clarke Celtic whistle High D – I wrestled with this thing last night to get the head off. I finally was able to get the head off so I could set it up to make it tunable. This was not easy. Also, did the putty tweak with it. Not a bad whistle at all. While I can’t say I am absolutely thrilled. I can say, for the price you will be hard pressed to find better. I like the whistle. I did find the tone to be a bit piercing and shrill w/o the tweak.

1 Oak High C whistle – supposed to arrive tonight. Never played an Oak before, but I have heard good things.

1 Jerry Freeman Tweaked High C Generation Whistle- Not really thrilled with it. It’s okay.

And the winner is:

1 Jerry Freeman Tweaked Low A – Outstanding whistle! Tone, Playability, responsiveness, a fantastic upper register, it really is quite a whistle IMO.
Whistling... It's going to be HUUGE!!
ThomasNashJohnson

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

If the OAK is anything like the two I have you'll be very pleased with it. Thanks for the appraisal of the Jerry Freeman A (that will be added to my shopping list) :thumbsup:
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie wrote:Try 'em all. Buy 'em all. Keep what YOU like.
This is the answer to ALL your threads. See WHOAD for instructions.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

In the last month (or thereabouts)

-Sindt set A/Bb/B
-Sindt D
-Killarney D

The 'winner' would have to be the Sindt Bb, a fantastic player. A couple days ago I did my annual gig where I lead a Walk To Remember on the Highland pipes, then play airs on a whistle while all the names of the deceased are read and candles are lit. For years I've done this on my MK Low D. This year I did it on the Sindt Bb. Such a lovely voice, such sweet high notes, the airs just sing. (In retrospect the MK Low D whistle gives the event more gravitas, however. And there it is: a rare occurrence of 'whistle' and 'gravitas' in the same sentence.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

A little late to the thread, but I have to second the comments re Jerry Freeman Tweaked Low A -- one of my favorite whistles. And if you like that, try out his tweaked mezzo/low G -- a truly great whistle that's a lot of fun to play, especially considering the cost. I find that I keep acquiring more expensive whistles and I keep wondering why when I return to the Gens and Jerry's G and A; WHOAD is WHOAD and I enjoy several of the "better" whistles (and occasionally I'm in the mood for something much sweeter than the Gen's dirty chiff), but I always enjoy picking up one of my cheaper Gens/Freemans and I've often wondered if it's really worth the cost to get anything else.
Last edited by O'Briant on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Bleazey low D
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
recblue8

Post by recblue8 »

Just got a Mellow Dog and a Gen D (planning to cannibalize the tube to use with the Killarney I'm buying myself this month because I'm shallow and want a nice-looking whistle :D)

I asked a friend to play her Blackbird at a jam last week. I'd been conflicted about my decision to go with the Mellow Dog over the Blackbird, but no more...I've discovered I strongly prefer the nuances of the Mellow Dog sound. It's my favorite whistle right now for when the music doesn't have to sound saccharine-sweet/super-happy-happy.
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

I got it a month ago, but I've been stuck on my Reyburn A since then... what little time I've had to play lately. :/
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I purchased a Whorfin Whistle #74 Purple Heart wood with brass from the recent CP from chas. Very nice woodie, impressive in fact. Clean thru two full octaves, I would say a medium to soft blower (easy), chiffy, and just a beautifully crafted whistle. For me, the beak with a little more flat landing pad on the lip is a big plus.

I like pulling out the wooden whistles and having a go with each in order not to slobber all over any one particular whistle. I play the same tune as consistently as possible so as to discern the subtle differences between the whistles and learn each quirk. I love wood. :)

I hope more wood whistles appear in the threads and the makers keep on makin'em. :thumbsup:
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

Recently bought a Dixon Trad D. Nothing crazy/exotic/exciting, I know, but I like it way better than the Clarke I'd been playing on.
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

calanthrophy wrote:Recently bought a Dixon Trad D. Nothing crazy/exotic/exciting, I know, but I like it way better than the Clarke I'd been playing on.
Dixon trads (especially the brass ones) are some of the best factory-made inexpensive whistles you can buy. There's not much out there that would be a significant upgrade, IMHO.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Dixon trads (especially the brass ones) are some of the best factory-made inexpensive whistles you can buy.
de gustibus non est disputandum

My brain hurts

olly498

Post by olly498 »

I traded in my Chieftain low D and v4 low G at Hobgoblin, got £110 pounds for each so bought a Kerry Pro from them for £39 :) it is absolutely gorgeous! Wanted to attach a picture but can't figure out how... Was a little sad to say bye to the D but I wasn't too keen on the low G, I just never felt comfortable with it. Anyone have experience with the V4?