B, Bb or C?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

B, Bb or C?

Post by ennischanter »

I'm thinking of getting a new chanter (From Lawrence/Hunter, Joe Kennedy, or Brad Angus, BUT I'll worry about where I'm Getting it from myself), either in the key of B, Bb(Bb I'm not as interested though) or C. But I'm stumped!!

Which do you think I should get? What are your experiences with each, if you have tried any before?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: B, Bb or C?

Post by BigDavy »

I would say B out of simple preference for that key. But do consider C# as well as C.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Firstly, why these particular pitches? Is there a reason, or do you just want to get a flat chanter?

Sometimes, pipers and other musicians pair up, and it might be more practical to stick to a pitch like C. Easier for guitarists to play in C than in B, fiddlers have to down-tune 2 semitones, not 3 or 4, etc. Also, you might know other flat pipers and want to play along with them, in which case, you pick the pitch they play in. Or you might need a specific pitch for a particular project (recording session, etc.).

But if you don't have a specific reason to chose a particular pitch, then you should make your choice on the basis of the tone/sound of the particular instrument. Try out different pitch chanters from the makers on your list and then make your decision.

Also, don't decide to buy a B chanter from maker X because you like his C chanters.

Also, remember that Bb (and Bnat) lower-hand tone holes can be a challenge for some pipers, particularly if you have small hands.
PJ
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

PJ wrote:But if you don't have a specific reason to chose a particular pitch, then you should make your choice on the basis of the tone/sound of the particular instrument.
That's how I came to choose my C natural flat set; the sound of the maker's instruments just spoke to me. It's not terribly handy in a session, but it's easy enough to play with a C whistle and not that much of a chore for some to tune down it. My wife tuned down one of her harps a whole step just so she could play with me (even though I have a concert pitch set also - the flat set goes well with the harp as it is quieter and more mellow).

I would still like to have a B or Bb set though. I have long enough fingers, and just like flat sets.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Bb is, in my opinion, simply the most beautiful key for a whistle or pipe to be in.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

BigDavy wrote: But do consider C#

David

Already got one! :D

But I'm goin' in Flatter territory! :wink:

Great choice of instrument for the loner/introvert like me! As Tony MacMahon said, flat playing is an introspective art.

And to P.J, this is the best I can come up with.

I always find C a very special and magical pitch, but it also sounds very gloomy/melancholic/depressing to me on the Uilleann pipes sometimes, I dunno why, it just does... Bb has a lonely sound too.

I guess it's personal perspective here...

I enjoy the tones of the flat chanters, all the different sounds that you can get. Each pitch seems to have their idiosyncrasies, The B and Bb seem to have a bit of a honk (Which I like), along with it's sweet tone, where as the C has less of a honky sound, but it still isn't as bright as a concert pitch and has that sweet tone. At least that's what I can hear online!

As of now I'm leaning towards B. Maybe it's the Mood I'm in. But I'll take some time to decide to I don't go "Darn, I knew I should've got a C/B/Bb!"

I don't have the biggest hands, but I have got fingers like that of Mr. Ennis, same greyhound like build too.

Believe you me, if I had enough money I would buy all Three!!!

BTW, what pitch is David Power's Moloney chanter? Sounds close to Bb to me.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

ennischanter wrote:
BTW, what pitch is David Power's Moloney chanter? Sounds close to Bb to me.
I've heard David say "The chanter plays just south of B"
From what i understand pretty common for old Bb chanters, do correct me if i'm wrong.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Depends on what you want to do with it really....

- For solo piping I'd go for the full set option in B (or Bb depending on your preference).
- But to have an extra chanter in a different key I'd go C for sure! You get that great flat pitch feel AND its more versatile for blending with other instrumentation.

When doing "legitimate" gigs I always pack my C chanter in the case. Has paid off very well in that regard.
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

I would go for the B. I started with a C, then bought a CP and after that went for a B. I almost never play the C. My go to stick is the B but sometimes I miss the pop of the concert pitch chanter so I play that a lot as well. I also have a C# on order from Joe Kennedy, that may be what im looking for. I am a solo piper and I don't go to sessions, so I am not worried about playing with others.

I think if you bought a C chanter, it would be very similar to your C#. I also think that the Bb may be too much in the other direction so, B would be the best choice. Actually I think you would regret not getting the B, there is something really special about it. I bought mine from Joe Kennedy and I am very happy with it. His lead time is not very long right now.

Again, like others have said, if you want to play in sessions then C may be the best choice. If you are going solo, then go for the B.

My 2 cents.
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

B
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
andyp

Post by andyp »

B.

Flat sets are meant for solo playing not that session stuff.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

andyp wrote:Flat sets are meant for solo playing not that session stuff.
Except for, you know ... flat sessions. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
andyp

Post by andyp »

Ha Ha!
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

If this is any help, I made a video about a year ago demonstrating a C#, C and a (just north of Bb) chanter - I made the C and the Bb. The Bb was a 'first attempt' and so some of the tone holes are a little off, but it should give you a decent general comparison of the tone of each especially if you use headphones. C# is Brazilian Rosewood, C is Gidgee and Bb is Ebony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFBC_jWy3kw

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

Don't let other people's suggestions influence you TOO much. Flat pitch is a very much a personal preference type of thing.