A newbie's first session

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MzMolly65
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A newbie's first session

Post by MzMolly65 »

I want to first explain something .. my Dad was a musician who played lead snare drum in a military band and harmonica. If you asked him to play any tune at all, even Twinkle Twinkle or Mary Had a Little Lamb, the first thing he would do is play you a very simple, unadorned version and get you to follow along and then he would immediately start adding frilly things until you couldn't keep up any more. People always dropped by with instruments and there was always a happy group at our house laughing and playing for hours.

So here's my story about last night .. I went to my first session and since I'm brand new to the whistle and playing music in general, I asked in advance if I could sit in as a listener (because it's held at a private location and not a public venue) and I was told yes. I was hoping to meet someone willing to give lessons. There were about 30 people there; mostly fiddlers, a few guitars, a couple of flutes and one of the flutists also played whistle and a button accordion. I made myself small and didn't say anything or get in the way but at the very end of the night when they were running short on ideas of what to play, I piped up and asked if they knew a specific tune. It's one of the only two tunes I know so far and yes, it's a beginner's tune but I was hoping to hear it played by experienced players so I could learn to expand on the sound of it and start adding some small "frills". I was NOT expecting to play along or slow them down in any way.

The only whistle player in the bunch replied curtly with a "stink face" .. that's a singing tune and has no melody for playing unless you have some beers in you ... and promptly turned his back, effectively cutting me out of the group.

Wow .. it was rude and disheartening and I won't be asking him if he's willing to give lessons. It spoiled a lovely evening and I'm not sure how I feel about going back again.

Just needed to vent a little. I'm used to musicians who are friendly and this one caught me off guard.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: A newbie's first session

Post by ytliek »

Ah well, you'll get that experience just about everywhere. Any time you get a group together of any type differences are bound to occur. Water under the bridge by now. Don't let that experience prevent you from learning and playing. Seek out maybe a smaller group or perhaps an individual or two for help. Even forums can have differences flaring. :lol: I search for the locked threads in my leasure time. Just for amusement.

What I've always found puzzling is the rush to get into a session... playing that is. I've long been an active participant from the audience and quite happy there... listening. Enjoyable too. But, I've seen discussions from varying perspectives and driving the thought that the only way to learn is by sitting in on a session. Well, sessions vary, now don't they. Some are open while some are closed. Learning styles vary as well.

Practice on the whistle is the way to gain entrance to where you want to go. Just practice.

And, BTW, our Monday nights are always open for anyone, especially the newbies.
maki

Post by maki »

Each session is different.
Why and how and everything else was tossed around this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77709&hilit=why+are ... so+fraught

I've been to our local session maybe half dozen times in the last 3 years.
The group is a bunch of pro and semi pro musicians or at the very least life long
musicians. I won't be playing with them soon, if ever. They are as warm and
welcoming as could be imagined, but just so much beyond my humble ability.
There is great joy to be had in just listening....
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I find that when playing amongst friends and family as a soloist and maybe someone backing on guitar or piano, it's useful to put together a varied repertoire of different types of tunes for different occassions but when attending a session, even as a seasoned musician attending a new session, there's always an etiquette to be observed. Some folk sessions will play a mix of ballads, roots music and Trad irish and English Folk (In England, where I live) but some will only play trad irish. I find its always best to attend as an observer and get a feel for the types of music and the sets they play and its usually after a few visits that i bring an instrument with me.

It can be a strange experience if its your first time but I wouldn't let it put you off, there are ignorant snobs in most sessions but they all had to start somewhere and should really give new members some credit. Maybe next time just listen to the tunes and if not sure ask others what the tunes are called and practice them at home. Then when you are confident, join in quietly at first and take it in tune by tune steps and Im sure you'll get more out of it.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

MzMolly65 wrote: I piped up and asked if they knew a specific tune. It's one of the only two tunes I know so far and yes, it's a beginner's tune but I was hoping to hear it played by experienced players so I could learn to expand on the sound of it and start adding some small "frills". I was NOT expecting to play along or slow them down in any way.
Well, that's a bummer for sure. Cranky folk tend to be cranky wherever they go. Shake it off after a little :tantrum:

I can identify with you... I'd love to get my ears in on a session. I'm the only person I know that listens to, let alone plays irish music. Tis a lonely place to be, when this music is so richly based in community. It is hard to not want to be a part of things, right?
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Sorry to hear about such a off-putting experience at your first session. Is there a beginner/learner's session in your area? When I began playing ITM, a slow session loosely sponsored by CCE (http://comhaltas.ie/locations/) was very supportive and encouraging, and I met some good friends-to be. I've also had similar experiences at other sessions as you've described, even as a more seasoned player. And going to sessions (or concerts, whatever) to listen is part of the learning experience, so sounds like you're on the right track. Try not to get too discouraged by the ol' "stinky face" and look for folks who are more welcoming and warm-hearted. :)
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

MzMolly65 wrote:t's one of the only two tunes I know so far and yes, it's a beginner's tune but I was hoping to hear it played by experienced players...
Out of curiosity, what was the tune? I promise not to pull a face if you tell us :) but it might help explain the other whistle player's reaction.

And you never know, there could have been past experiences at that session or of the particular player of new members wanting to steer the repertoire towards old chestnuts that nobody there wants to play because they consider themselves above such material. This doesn't excuse rudeness of course. (Note that often the better and more experienced the musician, the less snobbish they are likely to be or to disparage hackneyed tunes.)

Don't let it get you down anyway. Another approach you could take would be to note down the names of the tunes that the group plays and pick one or two to learn on your own before going back.

Or, if you want to hear what a more experienced musician would do with the tune you had in mind, why not approach someone who seems to know what they are doing, during a pause or at the end of the night, and tell them what it is that you are looking for. I think most people would be pleased to oblige, or at least decline politely.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Screw 'im. There are jerks like that everywhere.
You might want to look up your tune on The Session. They list lots of artists who have recorded most tunes and you might be able to find some of those. You could also search for that tune on YouTube played by amateurs, both good and not so good.
Don't give up on sessions because of one ass.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
robehickman

Post by robehickman »

Still, being around others playing this music is good for picking up tunes and ideas. Don't try to rush in.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

krystlepye wrote:
MzMolly65 wrote: I piped up and asked if they knew a specific tune. It's one of the only two tunes I know so far and yes, it's a beginner's tune but I was hoping to hear it played by experienced players so I could learn to expand on the sound of it and start adding some small "frills". I was NOT expecting to play along or slow them down in any way.
Well, that's a bummer for sure. Cranky folk tend to be cranky wherever they go. Shake it off after a little :tantrum:

I can identify with you... I'd love to get my ears in on a session. I'm the only person I know that listens to, let alone plays irish music. Tis a lonely place to be, when this music is so richly based in community. It is hard to not want to be a part of things, right?
Your location tag says you're from Western Washington. I live on the kitsap peninsula near Poulsbo, and there's some awesome, friendly sessions in the area. Hit me up with a PM if you live somewhere nearby.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

StevieJ wrote: old chestnuts that nobody there wants to play because they consider themselves above such material.
I fully support people not playing the "standard" tunes in favor of local tunes, or just different rep from the CCE, popular recorded bands, and other usual fare. But this attitude does bother me, the idea that playing those common tunes, especially ones taught to beginners, is somehow beneath a musician. I've run into it sometimes, and always been a bit annoyed. But I will say that one of the best fiddle players I've played with absolutely loves the Kesh, and plays it with a wonderful energy and musicality. People who think that tune (or the Kerry Polka, or the Britches Full of Stitches, or the Sally Gardens, etc.) is beneath them are probably just not playing it right.
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
krystlepye wrote:

Your location tag says you're from Western Washington. I live on the kitsap peninsula near Poulsbo, and there's some awesome, friendly sessions in the area. Hit me up with a PM if you live somewhere nearby.
I've had a mind to do just that! I'm south of Tacoma, so Poulsbo isn't an impossibility :P
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

krystlepye wrote:I've had a mind to do just that! I'm south of Tacoma, so Poulsbo isn't an impossibility :P
Well, there was a session in Silverdale at the Global Bean coffeeshop, which has recently moved to the Slippery Pig pub in Poulsbo, starting at 6:30 and going till 9 or so. The folks are friendly there and play at a fairly relaxed pace. It's pretty much an open session, and people enjoy conversations in between tunes. I'm the flute/whistle player there.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

If you cannot get together with someone to play tunes locally, then possibly this is something to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZARxiWJGAaU
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I fully support people not playing the "standard" tunes in favor of local tunes, or just different rep from the CCE, popular recorded bands, and other usual fare. But this attitude does bother me, the idea that playing those common tunes, especially ones taught to beginners, is somehow beneath a musician. I've run into it sometimes, and always been a bit annoyed. But I will say that one of the best fiddle players I've played with absolutely loves the Kesh, and plays it with a wonderful energy and musicality. People who think that tune (or the Kerry Polka, or the Britches Full of Stitches, or the Sally Gardens, etc.) is beneath them are probably just not playing it right.
I think the core of the problem isn't so much the tunes themselves but the way they have been declared 'beginner's' tunes and the way they have been murdered time and time again by plodding beginners. Now, nothing wrong with a plodding beginner and we've been all there BUT there's no great incentive in, as a group, being asked to join in, probably for the umpteenth time, with a badly played version of a tune while playing in a public space just to carry someone who just fell in the door.

But going by the OP's own account this may not even have been the situation, for all we know she asked the group to play the Ratlin' Bog, the Fields of Athenry or something else maybe not all that suitable for the occasion.

In private, in a face to face situation or in a (smaller) group of people you know well, things would, probably, be different but I don't think it's reasonable to assume a large session will stop and turn into a beginner's class just because a visitor, a stranger to the group, happens to be there. Unless the stated purpose of the gathering is one of teaching ofcourse.

Stepping into a session group is all about context and entering, and reading, a social dynamics without too many assumptions about how things should be. There's a lot to be said for choosing your time and place well and not spring a tune on people before proper introductions have been made. And I can tell you from experience new players coming to a session, often nervous and a insecure, are not the most adept at any of those things.
My brain hurts