Whistle stands

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jbowen507
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle stands

Post by jbowen507 »

I know this topic has been covered quite well. I searched the archives and found lots of great info on DIY whistle stands and stands you can buy. I was searching around on Etsy and found this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/150895425/ ... pe=gallery. While it's out of my price range, I thought it might be interesting to share with the group.

What I think I'm going to settle on is the stand by Hercules http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS543BB- ... roduct_top. The only past reviews was one who said they liked the base but made custom pegs, and another who said the pegs that came standard worked just fine. I'm guessing the piccolo pegs would best suit my high whistles, so I would just order a couple extra of those. Wondering if anyone else had any insight, especially about the peg diameters?

Jeff
Feadoggie

Re: Whistle stands

Post by Feadoggie »

Funny you should ask. I can help with the peg sizes. Since the last thread we had on stands I decided to make some new stands to display my shopmade whistles. Here's what I use.

Whistle Peg Dimensions
Diameter Length
High G 0.3750 3.5"
F 0.3750 3.5"
E 0.3750 3.5"
Eb 0.4375 4.0"
D 0.4375 4.0"
C 0.5000 4.5"
Low B 0.5000 4.5"
Bb 0.5625 5.0"
A 0.5625 5.0"
G 0.6250 6.0"
F 0.6250 6.0"
E 0.7500 8.0"
Eb 0.7500 8.0"
D 0.7500 8.0"
C 0.7500 8.0"

And in case you are curious ...

Recorder Peg Diameters
Diameter Length
Garklein 0.2500 2.0"
Sopranino 0.2500 3.0"
Soprano 0.3125 4.0"
Alto 0.3750 6.0"
Tenor 0.6250 8.0"
Bass 0.7500 10.0"

It is best to do your own measurements before you nail things down. There is variation depending on narrow bore, standard or wide bore designs - conical whistles will differ as well.
3/8" works well for whistles up to a high D. 1/2" will work for whistles between C (usually) and let's say and A whistle. 5/8" for G and F and 3/4" for the big boys.

I completed the rough wood work for ten stands this morning. I'll start the finishing on those tomorrow. 20 more or so are waiting for peg holes to be drilled. I tend to overdo things like this.

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Well, columns don't work here. I'll try to fix that later but basically each whistle key is followed by two numbers. The first is the diameter of the peg. The second number is the length of the peg. All dimensions are in inches. You know what to do if you are a metric type of person. These are my figures. Check your whistles. Measure twice.

Hope that is helpful.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Feadoggie wrote:Well, columns don't work here. I'll try to fix that later
Try the 'Code' tags, which should give you a fixed-width font and preserve multiple spaces. You'll still need to check/adjust it with 'Preview' (or better type it offline in fixed-width and copy/paste) because you're not typing WYSIWYG in fixed-width here, but it's doable:

Code: Select all

Whistle Peg Dimensions			
              Diameter    Length
High  G       0.3750      3.5"
      F       0.3750      3.5"
      E       0.3750      3.5"
      Eb      0.4375      4.0"
      D       0.4375      4.0"
      C       0.5000      4.5"
Low   B       0.5000      4.5"
      Bb      0.5625      5.0"
      A       0.5625      5.0"
      G       0.6250      6.0"
      F       0.6250      6.0"
      E       0.7500      8.0"
      Eb      0.7500      8.0"
      D       0.7500      8.0"
      C       0.7500      8.0"

And in case you are curious ...

Recorder Peg Diameters
              Diameter    Length
Garklein      0.2500      2.0"
Sopranino     0.2500      3.0"
Soprano       0.3125      4.0"
Alto          0.3750      6.0"
Tenor         0.6250      8.0"
Bass          0.7500      10.0"
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Thank you, Peter. I will try that. I'll let your editing "stand" as it is for the moment. :)
jbowen507

Post by jbowen507 »

Thanks Feadoggie! This is a great guide, understanding of course that not all whistles are the same (smaller bore, tapered, etc.) I'll see if I can contact Hercules directly to find out their peg diameters.
Blower
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Post by Blower »

Wow, talk about high tolerance engineering for a low tech item! Does it really matter what diameter/length individual pegs are? All mine are 8" long and of the same diameter (to fit my smallest Eb). Only for the low F and D are they longer and fatter. All works fine. Or is someone having a laugh?!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Blower wrote:Wow, talk about high tolerance engineering for a low tech item! Does it really matter what diameter/length individual pegs are? All mine are 8" long and of the same diameter (to fit my smallest Eb). Only for the low F and D are they longer and fatter. All works fine. Or is someone having a laugh?!
Laugh?

The intended usage for my stands is likely different from what you have in mind. These will be placed on a table at fairs, festivals and workshops with my whistles on them. Some of my stands do not use pegs at all. Some display the whistle/flute horizontally. The sizes I quoted are for a variety of simple "peg in a base" stands holding from four to a dozen whistles each. The figures I quoted are for my actual stand designs. They are part of what I am making in the shop at the moment. Festival season just ended and I am making instruments and fixtures to be sold at various venues next season. I work on the stands in between boring and turning wooden whistle tubes most days. Hopefully, by next Spring, I will have the stands ready along with enough whistles to fill them.

Not all whistles are created equally. Some are light and lithe and do not need the same support as those that are heavy, especially those that might be more head heavy. Experience has shown that a length of a third to a fourth of the bore length works well. I find that the closer the peg diameter matches the inner bore, with enough room for easy placement of the whistle, that the support is better, peg breakage should be minimized, movement will be less and fewer heads will bang around so that things remain more stable avoiding the swinging, rotating weight of the heads which might cause the stands to overturn unexpectedly. The bases of these stands are heavy too, most are made from Corian and similar solid surface counter top material. While they'd work fine letting the Gens air out at home on the desk, I expect they will see tougher duty out in the wilds. I do something entirely different for a performance. I use a soft case with a separate sleeve for each individual whistle. YMMV.

Cheers.

Feadoggie
Blower
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Post by Blower »

[quote="Feadoggie
The intended usage for my stands is likely different from what you have in mind.
Feadoggie[/quote]

Fair point, well made!