Which instrument do I buy?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JamesMuguiro
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Which instrument do I buy?

Post by JamesMuguiro »

Hi,

I've been playing irish music for awhile now, but I only have a tin whistle that probably isn't very good sounding.
I want to start playing seriously, but I don't know which instrument to buy.
Any advice?

Thanks. :D
James
krystlepye

Re: Which instrument do I buy?

Post by krystlepye »

Depends what you are looking for! :o

In all seriousness, How long have you been playing the whistle you have? And which whistle is it? Most here will say that you really do need to spend time on it, because most inexpensive whistles are generally ok. I think the joke is that you put it in a drawer for a year, and when you come back to it, suddenly, it's not so bad! (read as: experience makes any whistle sound better.)

having come from where you are right now myself not long ago, I would suggest that you spend a few weeks playing on what you have, and read read read this forum, so that when you do want to make a purchase, you are more well informed.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My advice is a little different... My advice is to get a Jerry Freeman "tweaked" D and go from there. That way you haven't dropped a lot of money and you have a whistle that is a known (good) instrument. Then, play a lot!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
maki

Post by maki »

plunk111 wrote:My advice is a little different... My advice is to get a Jerry Freeman "tweaked" D and go from there. That way you haven't dropped a lot of money and you have a whistle that is a known (good) instrument. Then, play a lot!

Pat
Freemans Blue Bird in d.
Or, Freemans Mellodog d.
For the price you get a great whistle.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

JamesMuguiro wrote:Hi,

I've been playing irish music for awhile now, but I only have a tin whistle that probably isn't very good sounding.
Any advice?

Is it a whistle you're interested in, as people are assuming so far? Or are you thinking of trying something else? It's not clear to me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

Nanohedron wrote:

Any advice?

Is it a whistle you're interested in, as people are assuming so far? Or are you thinking of trying something else? It's not clear to me.
You know...I think you may be right. :oops:
JamesMuguiro

Post by JamesMuguiro »

Nanohedron wrote:

Any advice?

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain.
Yes, I was referring to a whistle.
tHANKS AGAIN.
James
JamesMuguiro

Post by JamesMuguiro »

krystlepye wrote:Depends what you are looking for! :o

In all seriousness, How long have you been playing the whistle you have? And which whistle is it? Most here will say that you really do need to spend time on it, because most inexpensive whistles are generally ok. I think the joke is that you put it in a drawer for a year, and when you come back to it, suddenly, it's not so bad! (read as: experience makes any whistle sound better.)

having come from where you are right now myself not long ago, I would suggest that you spend a few weeks playing on what you have, and read read read this forum, so that when you do want to make a purchase, you are more well informed.
Thanks for the advice. Now said I think you may be right. I will practice with what I have for now.
Oh, and to answer your questions, I've been playing for almost a year and a half, and I have a clarke D.
James
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

krystlepye wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

Any advice?

You know...I think you may be right. :oops:
Does the computer count as an instrument? You can play a lot seriously! :lol:

To James... listen to a lot of Irish music and explore which instrument(s) strike your fancy, read the forums, meanwhile, play your tin whistle until you can decide the journey to undertake. Enjoy it and keep it fun. :)
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

While it has it's own charm, I don't think the original Clarke (not the Sweetone with plastic head) is an easy whistle for a beginner.
I'd second the recommendations for a Freeman tweaked whistle. Hang onto the Clarke though.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

JamesMuguiro wrote:
krystlepye wrote:Depends what you are looking for! :o

Thanks for the advice. Now said I think you may be right. I will practice with what I have for now.
Oh, and to answer your questions, I've been playing for almost a year and a half, and I have a clarke D.
You've been playing that particular whistle for a year and a half? Then it is probably high time for a new one!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Well, when you ask which whistle to buy, everyone here will give you their choice of whistle(s).

I say burn the candle from both ends buying hi and low from least expensive to the most expensive you can afford. If you're serious about playing it'll set in anyway... that whoad thing. And its good for the economy. Keeps the forum going too. Just keep in mind that there are very good cheaper whistles out there in whistledom.
ThomasNashJohnson

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

May I suggest an OAK High D, a wonderful whistle?
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
megapop

Post by megapop »

krystlepye wrote:
JamesMuguiro wrote:Oh, and to answer your questions, I've been playing for almost a year and a half, and I have a clarke D.
You've been playing that particular whistle for a year and a half? Then it is probably high time for a new one!
Why? What's wrong with Clarke's? (Besides the OP didn't even say which one he's playing...)
return null;
ickabod

Post by ickabod »

I just purchased a Dixon High D Traditional whistle few weeks ago. I must say, after about a week of working with it, I think it’s one fine little whistle.

I own the Freeman Mellow Dog C/D set & The Freeman Blackbird C/D/Eb set. Also, all great whistles. My only gripe on the Mellow Dog is that it wants to clog on me on a regular basis (even with the soap trick). The Blackbirds sound incredible for recording (in my opinion) and can really punch out some terrific music in the right hands. I’ve also purchased one of Jerry’s Low A whistles. I also find that whistle to be outstanding as well.

The Dixon D Trad. Seems (at least to me) to meet the same caliber of those whistles. In retrospect, I wish I would have purchased one of these right from the jump. It is very easy to play, intonated correctly, sounds good, and doesn’t clog much. It seems to require a little bit more air than the blackbird (but not much).

My experience has been that the Dixon doesn’t clog as much as the mellow dog. And for that reason, I prefer it over the mellow dog. However, the blackbirds are in a league of their own.. I would have to say the blackbirds are superior over the Dixon. But, they are not as easy to play either and like to clog up a lot too.. At least in my opinion any way.

Also, keep in mind that I’ve been playing the whistle a little over a year. Take that into consideration when reading my post as I am fairly new to the instrument.

Oh yeah.. Almost forgot.. The Dixon is a cheapie too at about $30!
Whistling... It's going to be HUUGE!!