C Unnatural Rolls

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: C Unnatural Rolls

Post by jemtheflute »

Hum. So, kindly define the difference between a turn and a roll, which I would more-or-less take to be synonymous. As for the fingering pattern you suggest, I don't see what's "obvious" about it. It works well enough under the fingers, but the "visit below the core note" element hitting a (veiled, flattened) G (howsoever briefly) sounds really weird - and stands out big time.

Mr Gumby, trying your suggestion gets a kind of cran effect - all departures from the core Cnat are to lower sounds (if I have understood and trialled it correctly). Which is fine and useful, but less roll-like than my suggestions, lacking a visit to a higher sound. I agree about held, pushed Cs being nice, and I wouldn't play rolls on any note every time a potential context for one arose, certainly not through the repetitions of a tune.

One of the points about/advantages of my preferred technique for a C roll is that the L3 or R2 (depending on C nat fingering) tap/"visit above" from C to D is very easy (and can be used on its own). The tricky part comes with the "visit below".
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

On my Watson flute, OXO XXX works best for Cnat (for me at least). Using that fingering, does anyone approach a Cnat roll with a C—tongued/breath pulse C—cut C rather than just using finger articulation?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Mr Gumby, trying your suggestion gets a kind of cran effect
That's not how I have it in mind. More like: this (on whistle)
My brain hurts

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Ok. Nice effect as you hit it. Involves a visit below first (to whatever pitch is the result of closing L1 in the Cnat fingering you are using), then a visit above to D, so a sort-of reverse roll.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

jemtheflute wrote:Hum. So, kindly define the difference between a turn and a roll, which I would more-or-less take to be synonymous. As for the fingering pattern you suggest, I don't see what's "obvious" about it. It works well enough under the fingers, but the "visit below the core note" element hitting a (veiled, flattened) G (howsoever briefly) sounds really weird - and stands out big time.
I'd say a (basic) roll is one pitch split into three distinct notes with fingers, usually a cut and a tap. A turn is a five note sequence with distinct notes above and below the center pitch.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

OK, Colomon, fair definitions for trad usage, though the boundary between the two might be a bit blurry...... all depends on speed, and rolls in trad are not always at the same speed. I think you can sort-of distinguish a trad roll or turn from a classical one for sure. Trad ones (however composed/achieved) are about rhythm and have different rhythms/rhythmic placement according to their context in a tune, whereas classical ones are simply ornaments of the attached main note, to be played in time according to the conventions of the period of the music in question.

Also, though in trad we often talk/write about the cut and tap not being pitch-specific and being so fast that pitch may not be discernible (and I have taught them/about them in such terms because it is useful so to do), in reality of course they do necessarily have pitch (not necessarily an in-tune specific note, and it may not matter in general terms what pitch). In practice the pitch of a particular cut or tap, however brief, in a particular context, may sit uncomfortably on the ear and another one - different finger(s) - may be to better effect.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

jemtheflute wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:
Ok. Nice effect as you hit it. Involves a visit below first (to whatever pitch is the result of closing L1 in the Cnat fingering you are using), then a visit above to D, so a sort-of reverse roll.
I've been trying to re-learn rolls, because somewhere along the line in my own playing, I started doing just that- a reverse roll! :oops: I think I picked it up when I was spending a lot of time noodling on NAFs. I tend to do it on F and G mostly.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

To go back to Stu's OP, I looked out The Red Haired Lass. As I had a toot to demo, here's a shot at it. But the setting I found only has one potential begging-for-a-C-roll-place, in the penultimate bar of the B music - and it isn't really all that necessary (Mr Gumby ;-) ). There are a couple of other places you could force one in, but by-and-large I wouldn't. (The piccolo I was demonstrating hasn't got the very best intonation, and my embouchure started to fade at the end.)

Have you got dots for the setting you're using, Stu, so we can see the context?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

I interpret (long) roll to mean that you're going to separate a longer note into 3 shorter ones, with a blip of higher pitch and then a blip of lower pitch doing the separating.

For Cnat OXX OOO, I use:
OXX OOX
oxx xxx
OXX OOX
xxx oox
OXX OOX

For Cnat OXX XOX, I use:
OXX XOX
oxx xxx
OXX XOX
xxx xox
OXX XOX

For Cnat OXO XXX, I (would) use:
OXO XXX
oxx xxx
OXO XXX
xxo xxx
OXO XXX

If you don't like it, well, that's how I roll. :P
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

stanton135 wrote:For Cnat OXO XXX, I (would) use:
OXO XXX
oxx xxx
OXO XXX
xxo xxx
OXO XXX
Makes sense to me (though Ben might think the strike occluded?).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Maybe I didn't pay enough attention while reading the thread posts, but seems like nobody mentioned the roll with the C natural key...?
You make a B roll while pressing the C natural key, works quite well. If you don't have a C key, get one :D
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
stanton135 wrote:For Cnat OXO XXX, I (would) use:
OXO XXX
oxx xxx
OXO XXX
xxo xxx
OXO XXX
Makes sense to me (though Ben might think the strike occluded?).
When I do it (and I have tried that one in the past) yes, the strike is "occluded". That is, at least for the way I've managed it, it doesn't make enough noise, but just a sort of 'something' that isn't what I would call blippy enough, if that makes sense.