Heaven-Sindt

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Heaven-Sindt

Post by pancelticpiper »

I know there are members here who have played Sindts for years.

But I'm a newbie to them. Just a few weeks ago I picked up a used Sindt A/Bb/B set, three bodies one head, and I was very impressed! Especially with the Bb body (for which, I'm guessing, the head was designed) the Sindt is a wonderful player. It has all the qualities I love, that are found in the very best vintage Generations, especially the extremely sweet easy 2nd octave, but with more evenness and roundness and also an extra 'something' in the tone.

I had been using a Burke aluminum A and a Freeman Generation Bb, but the Sindt (with the respective bodies) was clearly superior to both, for various reasons. (Of course the Sindt set cost more than the other two put together. You still can't beat a Freeman Generation for value.)

Just this week I picked up a used Sindt high D and it's wonderful too. I have to admit that it's clearly better than my cherished c1980 Feadog MK1.

This all has created considerable consternation in my whistle roll, with a number of whistles who had become accustomed to occupying their (as they thought) Rightful Slot being deposed and relegated to a bureau drawer.

I will say that the crossfingered C natural is too sharp on the high D Sindt, something I've seen commented upon in the past. Interesting that the corresponding note to C natural on the A/Bb/B set is fine. On the high D, by the way, the crossfingered high C natural is delightful, and I wonder if he was going for that.

So I'm really into playing these Sindts right now and any feedback or input from other Sindt owners would be appreciated.

I need two more, by the way, to have The Sixth Sindt.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: Heaven-Sindt

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Fun to discover a whistle that really scratches that itch, isn't it? I felt the same way about my Carbony D. Just hits the spot!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I play a Sindt high D. I'm still newbie-ish and learning everyday. I practice on a very few whistles just for the feel & tonal differences, and I prefer wood. Freeman Bluebird and Sindt D are the final go to whistles for my learning tunes. In the end, if I make mistakes playing a tune I am assured its not the whistle's fault.

This grasshopper to the sage can only suggest complete your Sixth Sindt as you'll never regret it. Enjoy! :)
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

The Bb sindt was my first one, and what got me hooked on them! It's probably my favourite of any of them, along with the C and the Eb.
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

Sindts - betcha can't just buy one! ;)

Go for the Eb next, aside from my D it's my favorite high whistle to play.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

p51baby wrote:Sindts - betcha can't just buy one! ;)

With a D head it might be a lot easier and cheaper to find an Eb tube that fits it!
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Sirchronique wrote:
p51baby wrote:Sindts - betcha can't just buy one! ;)

With a D head it might be a lot easier and cheaper to find an Eb tube that fits it!
I bet a Sindt D head with a Generation or Feadóg Eb tube will work at least as good as an original. That's the case with the D anyway :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes the Bb is a fantastic player.

For the D, what's interesting is that when I switch tubes from the original tube to a Feadog tube the 2nd octave is a bit flatter. The tubes appear to be from identical brass tubing. I have gauges to measure the IDs and I'll do that soon to find out if the tubes really are the same. The Feadog tube was dusty inside so I swabbed it out clean and gleaming, so the 2nd octave flatness isn't from an obstructed bore.

Yes I'll try an Eb Generation tube in the D head and see what happens.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

pancelticpiper wrote:Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes the Bb is a fantastic player.

For the D, what's interesting is that when I switch tubes from the original tube to a Feadog tube the 2nd octave is a bit flatter. The tubes appear to be from identical brass tubing. I have gauges to measure the IDs and I'll do that soon to find out if the tubes really are the same. The Feadog tube was dusty inside so I swabbed it out clean and gleaming, so the 2nd octave flatness isn't from an obstructed bore.

Yes I'll try an Eb Generation tube in the D head and see what happens.

Hardly a day goes by that I don't spend some time on my Sindt whistles, and I am fortunate to have them in every key John makes. T'was not easy putting the whole set together, but
once I played me first, I knew I had to have the whole set.

Enjoy them Mate, and keep at building the whole set, ye won't regret it.

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

pancelticpiper wrote:For the D, what's interesting is that when I switch tubes from the original tube to a Feadog tube the 2nd octave is a bit flatter. The tubes appear to be from identical brass tubing. I have gauges to measure the IDs and I'll do that soon to find out if the tubes really are the same. The Feadog tube was dusty inside so I swabbed it out clean and gleaming, so the 2nd octave flatness isn't from an obstructed bore.
I'm going to bet that the Sindt tube's holes are bigger (on average) than the Feadóg's. In theory, all else being equal, bigger holes make for a sharper second octave.
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

I have both whistles right here, and the tubes are not identical. Very slightly different width (One needs a slight sanding to fit into the head of some of the sindt D's), completely different type of brass, in appearance, anyway (different colours), and hole sizes are different.

I'm guessing Feadogs probably had different tubes at some point.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have been using the Sindt D for my 'playing out whistle' for over a decade and it has served me well. And while I love the whistle I do notice that during that period it never became the whistle I'd pick up when at home. I have thought about this over time but I am not completely sure why this is the case. Interesting enough the Killarneys have taken over, especially the Eflat, as my go-to whistle for a quick tune around the house. They, perhaps, possess a sweetness I don't find in the Sindt D.
My brain hurts

Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have been using the Sindt D for my 'playing out whistle' for over a decade and it has served me well. And while I love the whistle I do notice that during that period it never became the whistle I'd pick up when at home. I have thought about this over time but I am not completely sure why this is the case. Interesting enough the Killarneys have taken over, especially the Eflat, as my go-to whistle for a quick tune around the house. They, perhaps, possess a sweetness I don't find in the Sindt D.
When I pick up a whistle for a quick tune around the house, I find myself giving the whistle less air than I might for more "serious" playing. Only certain whistles respond well to this, playing sweetly and in tune.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

When I pick up a whistle for a quick tune around the house, I find myself giving the whistle less air than I might for more "serious" playing. Only certain whistles respond well to this, playing sweetly and in tune.
That's not what's happening in my situation.
My brain hurts

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

My Sweetheart in blackwood high D is the at home sweet tooth fix. Sindt D is there too.