C Unnatural Rolls

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
accordionstu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

C Unnatural Rolls

Post by accordionstu »

I am playing a version of the Red Haired Lass and in the 3rd bar of the b part there's a C natural roll, no matter what I try it doesn't sound fluid at all. I am not having any issues with other rolls and would appreciate any advice from fellow fluter's.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
crickett

Re: C Unnatural Rolls

Post by crickett »

I am not sure what you have tried, and so I don't know whether this falls into the "unnatural" category, but here is one way that someone showed me you can get something roll-ish on the C natural. This way, though, depends on your having an instrument that plays (or can be lipped/blown) into tune with a four finger C natural: OXX XOX. (Assume the holes are numbered 1-6 from left to right.) You (a) blow the C natural, then (b) quickly lift up and put down 3, and then (c) tap 5.

I don't think it sounds ideal but it does give you something of a roll effect.
megapop

Post by megapop »

The only way to do a "true" roll on the c natural (i.e. a cut followed by a tap) I can think of involves some sort of cross-fingering (cf. cricket's suggestion), but the veiled character of this note makes the according cut way to fuzzy IMO. (My entire lack of skill might be a small factor as well though. :oops:) You could do a workaround I suppose, like substituting the cut with a tap to the d or fiddling with the keys; but personally, I have to admit that I just don't bother and play something else instead, like cBc or c2c.

If you really want that roll so bad however, you could ask your flute maker to add a thumb hole to your flute... similar to the c key of the Böhm system.
return null;
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

What I do, kind of cobbled from jemtheflute :poke: , is as follows:

OXO XXX
OXX XXX
OXO XXX
XOO OOO ('cept I sometimes cheat with this one and just play XOO XXX)
OXO XXX

That one works pretty well, but you have to really practice it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Maybe you should think about it in a slightly different way: there's only a c natural )or any other) roll in a tune if you put it there.

A c natural roll is not something that comes natural to the flute and even though you can (fairly) easily approximate a roll type movement on that note by first tapping the open top hole and after that whatever hole(s) you have open below, you probably want to ask yourself how fluteplayers whose style you admire approach the same situation and take your clues from what you hear in their playing.

x-posted
My brain hurts

accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Thanks Folks, I've tried them all and the only one that I can get to roll is the one offered by "Cricket" . After playing a couple of minutes, it is so natural and sounds perfect in this tune. Learning new things every day :)
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Would someone be willing to post an example of how that sounds here, please ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

What Ben said. With appropriate practice it works very well. There are old threads/discussions of this.

On whistles or Tipple flutes where the best C nat fingering is oxx xox, then this sequence works:
oxx xox
oxx xxx (tap R2)
oxx xox
xoo xox
oxx xox
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote: OXO XXX
OXX XXX
OXO XXX
OXO XXX
But the strike there looks so awkward!

What I do (with or without B3 held down):
OXXOOO
OXXXXX
OXXOOO
XXXOOO
OXXOOO

So the OXXOOO or OXXOOX produces a stuffier-sounding C, but the changes really do 'roll' (groan!) off the fingers and the G strike XXXOOO actually works.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: OXO XXX
OXX XXX
OXO XXX
OXO XXX
But the strike there looks so awkward!
It certainly is at first, but it seems to work with practice.
Peter Duggan wrote:What I do (with or without B3 held down):
OXXOOO
OXXXXX
OXXOOO
XXXOOO
OXXOOO

So the OXXOOO or OXXOOX produces a stuffier-sounding C, but the changes really do 'roll' (groan!) off the fingers and the G strike XXXOOO actually works.
... which sounds good when I try it ... except that, on my antique flutes, the OXX OOO fingering for Cnat sounds rubbish - just too occluded* for my taste.

* my posh word for the day. :-)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:except that, on my antique flutes, the OXX OOO fingering for Cnat sounds rubbish - just too occluded* for my taste.
Not as good as OXOXXX on my Copleys either, but tolerable where necessary.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Someone asked for examples. This old
YT clip of mine demonstrates my C rolls as outlined above on both whistle and flute, including fairly slowly. I hope it helps.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh, and this even older clip not only has a bundle of C rolls but the blurb on YT includes a link to an old C&F thread on this topic........ ;-)

Another tune which offers opportunities for/can benefit from well executed C rolls is that old warhorse The Humours of Ballyloughin.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

jemtheflute wrote:Someone asked for examples. This old
YT clip of mine demonstrates my C rolls as outlined above on both whistle and flute, including fairly slowly. I hope it helps.
Huh. I wouldn't have said that ornament you're playing was a roll at all.

Is trying to get that sound (which I would consider a turn, really) why people are avoiding the obvious

OXXOXX
OXXXXX
OXXOXX
XXXOXX
OXXOXX

fingering? Admittedly I usually go with Mr. Gumby's advice and avoid rolling on C-natural altogether. (Mr. Gumby also suggests an approach like mine above, he just generalizes it and avoids writing it out.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The one I gave above is analogue to the C nat roll on the pipes, you get the high cut and the low tap. On the pipes you'd cut with back d', I replaced that by a tap on c.

If you use it, it's a stylistic choice. I like my long c s.
My brain hurts