Favorite quotes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Favorite quotes

Post by rorybbellows »

My favorite is this one by an unknown piper,
Uilleann pipes are like a big book, never grab it by the cover or the pages might fall out.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
john

Post by john »

or the variant of 'not the full shilling':

he's not playing with a full set of regulators
ennischanter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

"Whoa, dude! That's NOT a bagpipe!!!!" :boggle:

Gave me a good chuckle.

Usually when I am playing outside though, not many heads turn 'cause they're so damn quiet! (Not that I have a prob with it!) :)
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

When I was doing my master's degree at Durham Uni, the guy in charge of organizing college events heard I played "the bagpipes" and approached me, asking if I could pipe in the haggis for a Burns supper. I asked, "Does this involve walking?" He said, "Er... yes." I explained, "I'd be happy to do it, but someone will have to push me in a wheelchair." I got a blank stare and never heard from him after. A Highland piper piped in the haggis.

I've been asked if I have a footpump, but my personal favorite -- and you have to realize I only play a half set and at the moment seemed doomed to that for eternity -- are the ones who ask me what kind of bagpipe it is, and when I answer Irish/uilleann pipes, they argue with me. "No, those aren't uilleann pipes." They are, I insist, thinking I ought to know what instrument I play, and then they explain to me that proper uilleann pipes have the tubes with the keys that go across the lap, and mine doesn't have any of those. Yes, I KNOW, and f *** ck you very much. Well, I don't say that, but I think it.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

The other day I was a-busking when a women interrupted (mid-tune) to ask "Is that the theme from Titanic?"
To which I replied "No, it's Amazing Grace".
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ian Lawther »

Rather than comments made to me when busking I remember fondly seeing a young fella busking in Holborn underground station when I was working in London in the 1980s. After listening for a while I complemented his playing and, as is the way with pipers, I asked who made is pipes. "Leo Rowsome" came the reply. Then almost as an after thought he added quietly....."my grandfather."

Ian
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Sean Folsom was busking in San Francisco a few years back and was playing a non-solo type zampogna without a piffero player to play melody. He overheard a couple of young Irish gents just off the boat talking. One said to the other, "Look at that Mick. He forgot the chanter and is just playing the drones and regulators".
giles b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by giles b »

Paddy Keenan at the Blarney Star in NYC a number of years ago, just finished a set of tunes, someone from the crowd yells out and asks what the second tune was and who wrote it, Paddy responds that he doesn't know, someone else from the crowd yells out that it was Junior Crehan, Paddy responds "oh? I don't think so, he may have made it up, but he definitely didn't write it" guffaws all round.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Ian Lawther wrote:Rather than comments made to me when busking I remember fondly seeing a young fella busking in Holborn underground station when I was working in London in the 1980s. After listening for a while I complemented his playing and, as is the way with pipers, I asked who made is pipes. "Leo Rowsome" came the reply. Then almost as an after thought he added quietly....."my grandfather."

Ian
Kevin Rowsome?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
KJM

Post by KJM »

Ian Lawther wrote:he added quietly....."my grandfather."
I can totally see that.
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

One - with parallels to older anecdotes somewhere on this forum - is the introduction of a globally known piper at a concert
here in this part of the world as someone who would "...now play on the villian pipes...."
M
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

A man came up to me in a pub and said "I've bet my wife $5 that those aren't bagpipes." I pointed to the bag and said "Bag," then pointed to the rest of the rig and said "Pipes." His wife smiled ever so broadly as she directed him to give us the $5 as a tip. :party:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Cathy Wilde wrote:A man came up to me in a pub and said :
if you keep looking at my wife that way,I'll smash your face in.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

rorybbellows wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:A man came up to me in a pub and said :
if you keep looking at my wife that way,I'll smash your face in.

RORY

Hmmm, yes well there are people who are married to their pipes!
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

geoff wooff wrote:Hmmm, yes well there are people who are married to their pipes!
My wife keeps flirting with a banjo so I'm looking for a divorce .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .