Looking for a low F

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
farmerjones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Looking for a low F

Post by farmerjones »

So I'm in the market for a new whistle, and I'd like to add a low F to my collection. I've been looking around to see who makes them, and Susato is the first thing that comes to mind. I already have a low G from the Kildare line and I think it's an OK whistle. My question here, is what is the difference between the Kildare and Dublin models? As far as I can tell, the difference is about $20, and some "comfort keys" that I don't think I need on a whistle that small. It also appears there is no low F in the Oriole line.

I thought Tony Dixon made them as well, but I don't see them in the catalog on his website. The MK Pro would be very nice, but they are pretty pricey. The same goes for Burke. Getting another Chieftain would be nice, though that too would require saving up some more cash. Hans Bracker is in this price range too, and while I loved his High D when it was on tour, the low D wasn't as good IMO. Carbony whistle look nice, are pricey, and they are a local company so I could probably at least try this one out before I buy.

You can probably tell I'm leaning more towards the Susato. It's well within my budget, and I don't really know how often I'd use the whistle in my band, but hey, I only use a low D in one song anyway. That still doesn't prevent me from owning all my other whistles. =) Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the above whistles?
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Looking for a low F

Post by Sirchronique »

MK makes a cheaper "Kelpie" model.
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Looks about the same, just minus the tuning slide. Is that true?
Whistlin' since 2013
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

Buy the best one you can afford or spend more money in the future upgrading to the whistle you really wanted in the first place.
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Mr.Nate wrote:Buy the best one you can afford or spend more money in the future upgrading to the whistle you really wanted in the first place.
Words of wisdom, guess you too have the benefit of hindsight? :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Mr.Nate wrote:Buy the best one you can afford or spend more money in the future upgrading to the whistle you really wanted in the first place.
I guess this applies to most any instrument. Perhaps you're right and I should just save for another Chieftain since I'm very happy with my low D from him. Hell, maybe I should just spring for the whole set.
Whistlin' since 2013
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

farmerjones wrote:
I guess this applies to most any instrument. Perhaps you're right and I should just save for another Chieftain since I'm very happy with my low D from him. Hell, maybe I should just spring for the whole set.

The Kelpie is very much similar to the MK Pro. The primary difference being the lack of a tuning slide.
Rich_N_

Post by Rich_N_ »

There are a few tonal differences between the MK Pro and the Kelpie - I've owned both in Low D. They were both great but the MK Pro wins hands down. The Bell note on the MK is so powerful on the Low D. I also owned a Low F and that was amazing, superb Bell note - so much power.

But, spend some bucks on a Goldie - you can't beat them. Simply the best whistles on the market today (I now have a non-tuneable HIgh Eb, A and F and tuneable G and Low D).

Rich
D Flute - Millyard & Molem African Blackwood
F Flute - M&E Polymer
Eb FLute - M&E Polymer
Low Bb - Giles Lehart (African Blackwood)
High Eb, D, A, G, F and Low D whistles - the wonderful Colin Goldie
High Bb and a high D - Chieftain.
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

Apparently, Dixon did make a Low F Trad, but not anymore. However, Big Whistle Music still has a few. Same price as a Kelpie, but the Trad is tuneable if that matters to you. I have no experience with either whistle, but I do have high D, Eb and C Trads and I like them a lot. The Susato Kildare models have a tapered bore, the Dublin has a cylindrical bore. Keys are optional on the Kildare. I wouldn't think them all that necessary on a low F whistle either. I don't have a Susato Low F, but I do have a number of Susato Whistles, all Kildare. I'm somewhat interested in a low F as well, that's why I'm such a wealth of information. :)
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

I have a Kildare low G and I can't tell that the bore is tapered. If it is, it's very minimal. I am liking that whistle more and more though, especcially after working on that Susato "embouchure". I'm likely to get this low F from them.

I also realized that I can get additonal whistle bodies and use the same head in any given series, so I can get yet another low D cheaply, as well as an A to go with my G.
Whistlin' since 2013
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

farmerjones wrote:I have a Kildare low G and I can't tell that the bore is tapered. If it is, it's very minimal.
Yes, it is minimal, just enough so that the body can easily release from the mold during production, or so I have read.

The Kildare low F is very playable without the keys. I have smallish hands. I owned and played one for a few years. It was not greatly different from the low G Kildare, IMO. The only issue some players have might be the overly large BH2 hole which is difficult to cover for those with slim fingers. Otherwise it is a good whistle. If you are comfortable with the Kildare G, you'll get on fine with the low F I am sure.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ThomasNashJohnson

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

farmerjones wrote:after working on that Susato "embouchure". I'm likely to get this low F from them
Can you tell me what is the Susato 'embouchure' ? I had a S Bore High D for a very short time and couldn't find the Susato 'embouchure' despite many hours practise. I (don't know why?) tend to cover both my lower and upper teeth with my lips (I've been told this is similar to Clarinet and Cor Anglais players?) I found the enormous Susato mouthpiece made my upper lip sore very quickly.

An amusing (if alarming) sidenote; I was considering 'sanding' down the mouthpiece of the Susato to make it more comfortable, but I recall reading on here that the blocks are sometimes hollow. I sent an email to Susato asking about the block and received a less than positive response from them (a very angry response in fact) :o
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Whistlin' since 2013