Which low G?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Which low G?

Post by brewerpaul »

A G would more useful than F since you can use it to play tunes in the key of C. I find this handy in my band.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

It has been pointed out before that once you put money into a high end whistle
its often possible to make trades for other high end whistles.
One whistle no mater how good won't work for every one.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Hi Krystle,

I would call my standard low G whistle as using a moderate/medium amount of air, perhaps similar to a Burke low G. I try to build whistles which are as air efficient as I can manage, but have the capability to deliver medium to medium loud volume, and can be softly and easily blown as well. An "easy blower" does not need to be an air hog. I imagine you call a whistle "free blowing" when it needs a huge amount of air for what it delivers. Often it is accompanied with a lot of wind noise / breathiness. Some love such whistles, but I prefer a cleaner playing whistle. An easy blowing whistle is perhaps more delicate to play, as it offers more dynamic range and expression for each note, compared to a whistle which needs a higher air pressure.

Having said all this, I can customise each whistle, making it to play quieter with less air demand, or louder with more air demand.

Perhaps Peter Duggan can give a better description of the Bracker low G. He is a very demanding player, and on two visits he spent a lot of time testing all kinds of whistles here, and expressing his observations in great detail, and thereby being very helpful in the further development of my whistles. I never experienced any one who could describe whistles and their tone and playing characteristics such eloquently. It reminded me of listening to wine connoisseurs. Thanks, Peter!
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

krystlepye wrote:Honestly, I am having a hard time not just ordering an MK in F. I emailed him and asked about the G's but he said they are still working out the kinks and have no projected availability date. I just won't be able to use F as often with the band. Unless I write us some songs in F... But it would make a great "play because I love to play" instrument.

I've also sent an email out to Bracker asking about air requirements on his G. And I've been thinking long and hard about just going for a goldie, but that four month wait is more than I can handle right now. In the future as I build my collection, I will definitely be adding a goldie... maybe in Low E or even A. When I have a few other nice whistles around, the wait for the Goldie won't be so hard :-)
It never hurts to put out a "Wanted to Buy" ad in the Used Instrument Exchange. Goldies are pretty common whistles, and I would be surprised if one didn't turn up before 4 months have elapsed. Keep an eye on eBay as well.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Second that!
Contact Marc Löfgren and ask too, who knows, he might have one due to a changed/cancelled order, or may be able to make one within 4 months. Besides, i'd rather wait 16 months and get a good one than going through a bunch of half-baked stuff..
(With the benefit of hindsight)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Billgh

Post by Billgh »

I have a Dixon polymer low G that has a really nice tone. It isn't a high end instrument and is easily overblown. It's not loud and isn't a session instrument but it does sound great through a mic, and it looks good and it's cheap. I got mine for $46. And I can play it in the later evening without complaints. If you're only going to use it occasionally a cheap but good sounding whistle might be the way to go.
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

Well, I've put in a PM to Lofgren... we'll see what he says.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

sorry i'm a little late to this party...but i will add my 2 cents.

i've owned several really good low g's including bracket and reviol. both very different, but very good whistles. but the absolutely best low g i've played is an old wooden head reyburn. it is one of the best whistles i've played in any key. its strong mellow low end is second to none. it has a tone that is hard to describe but is quite nice. it may be my desert island whistle......
flutemaker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by flutemaker »

Hi,
I'm not that often here on this forum, mainly because of my lack of time, but I thought I blow my own whistle in this case...

I have Low Gs readily available and I can offer to send one over, you try it out and see if you like it, if not, simply return it...

All the best,
Maurice Reviol