Which low G?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
krystlepye
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Which low G?

Post by krystlepye »

I may have an unexpected paycheck coming my way, so of course my first thought is what do I want to add to my collection??!

I'd like a Low G, in either aluminum or delrin/composite/whathaveyou.
I love playing my low D, and can manage it with Piper's grip quite well, but sometimes maintaining the stretch is more effort than I care for. I'm looking for more of a pleasure craft this time around, in a key that I know will see use with the groups I play in.

"Free blowers" need not apply. I like some economy.

As for tone, I like some complexity, but love a clearer high register. I don't want a lot of breathiness.

Responsiveness is a priority. I don't know how this plays out in this range of whistle (I assume a G would be more responsive than my PVC low D, right?) but I thought I should mention it.

What are we thinking? I was looking at Burkes and Brackers.
Tommy

Re: Which low G?

Post by Tommy »

krystlepye wrote: Responsiveness is a priority. I don't know how this plays out in this range of whistle (I assume a G would be more responsive than my PVC low D, right?) but I thought I should mention it.
What are we thinking? I was looking at Burkes and Brackers.
Burke makes an excellent whistle of any material he makes them from. Lets not confuse the key of a whistle with what it is made of. Whistlesmith makes his whistles from only pvc and all the whistlesmith whistles I have tried are slow response/pop not in tune. You will not be disappointed with a Burke in any Key of the material you choose from him. Great whistles can be made from anything from ski poles to cardboard. Mac Hoover makes some from ski poles, brass, PVC or wood. With the correct measurements a fine whistle can be made of many materials.
Last edited by Tommy on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

My favourite low G is the Lofgren, which fits everything you mention (pictures 2nd from left in my avatar). Not so easy to get right now, I don't think.

Burkes are great, but they are more free blowing/little back pressure. Still, at a key as high as low G , you are not using up a ton of air. I don't see it as an issue on it.

Reviol is also great. It's also free blowing, but it uses little air and is pretty economical because you are blowing very softly. Although there is little resistance, you aren't putting much air through it.

You could also message Colin Goldie to see if he can make something that would fit the bill.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Can't comment on Bracker since i've never tried one. Had a Burke low G though and sold it. Although very nice in tune and everything it had a very bland sound IMO.
I'd recommend a Löfgren or a Goldie soft blower (Goldies soft blowers actually have more back pressure than most whistles :) )
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

I recently got a Carbony G I'm very happy with. Interesting lightweight indestructible eco carbon material, tapered bore and sounds very wood like. I've never found a low G (or low F) that sings quite so easily in the high range, right up to the 3rd 8ve. The F was a bit too breathy sounding for me, the G less so, so I got the G. I'd say it's medium on air requirements/backpressure, and reasonably efficient - I'm able to play some fairly long phrases on it. The holes are bit on the small side, so it's bit challenging to half hole, but extremely responsive.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Keep your eye out for a used Water Weasel by the late Glenn Schultz. Mine is astounding.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

To add to the thread, I also have an alba low g and a jerry freeman low g. The alba has a lovely, complex tone but is not predictable in transitions to the upper register. The Freeman low G is really pretty great for the price (appx $50) and one of my favorite whistles (along with his A -- both are modified Gen Bb heads on pipes of his own making).
Last edited by O'Briant on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sorry my Low G experience is pretty limited. I use a Burke, clear pure and freeblowing but thus lacking 'dirt' and complexity.

A Colin Goldie will give you plenty of complexity, and is the choice of most professionals.

Too bad MK doesn't make a Low G. But they make a great Low F!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
maki

Post by maki »

I haven't tried a Bracker G, but if they are half as good as his high d and low d, then
it should be outstanding.
Most though not all custom whistle maker can tweak their whistle to suit customer
preferences. Colin Goldie is a prime example.
On the lower end of the price spectrum, I've never been disapointed by Mack Hoover or
Jerry Freeman.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

brewerpaul wrote:Keep your eye out for a used Water Weasel by the late Glenn Schultz. Mine is astounding.
I was actually playing mine when I read this. It's a fantastic whistle, one of my favorites.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

colomon wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:Keep your eye out for a used Water Weasel by the late Glenn Schultz. Mine is astounding.
I was actually playing mine when I read this. It's a fantastic whistle, one of my favorites.
I think it would be hard to overrecommend Mr Schultz's work. I have a low G thin weasel and love it, filled cracks and all! Beautiful tone and extremely high craftsmanship.

I think for the OP, any kind of low g weasel will be difficult to find and may also be out of budget, as will many other fine whistles. I heard Mr Hoover's name mentioned earlier and will certainly add a recommendation for his work! As a matter of fact, I would certainly take along my Hoover narrow bore high d if I had to be stranded on a desert island. I have a Hoover low G and like it as well, though my favorite low G thus far remains the Barnett Samuel & Sons, lead plug and all. I guess if that whistle ended up on the desert island, I'd have to have along a lifetime supply of clear coat nail varnish! :D

I think one thing this thread has demonstrated, yet again, is that when you ask fifty whistle players for their opinion on the best whistle, you will be sure to get at least one hundred forty-three different recommendations!

Cheers, and do let us know what low G you end up with!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'd also recommend a Goldie G. He makes two bore sizes I believe, his standard and a "narrow" bore. Here's a clip of what sounds to me like the standard bore G. Not me playing, another board member though, I think.
http://youtu.be/-vFNUEJv9os
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

maki wrote:I haven't tried a Bracker G, but if they are half as good as his high d and low d, then it should be outstanding.
I've got one and it is! Also now my only Alto G since selling my (Bernard) Overton low D, G and A because I simply stopped playing them when I got my Brackers.
whistlecollector wrote:I think one thing this thread has demonstrated, yet again, is that when you ask fifty whistle players for their opinion on the best whistle, you will be sure to get at least one hundred forty-three different recommendations!
Yep, a typical 'which whistle?' thread!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

Peter Duggan wrote:
whistlecollector wrote:I think one thing this thread has demonstrated, yet again, is that when you ask fifty whistle players for their opinion on the best whistle, you will be sure to get at least one hundred forty-three different recommendations!
Yep, a typical 'which whistle?' thread!
Which is why these threads are awesome! What better way to do whistle reasearch :P
Last edited by krystlepye on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

Honestly, I am having a hard time not just ordering an MK in F. I emailed him and asked about the G's but he said they are still working out the kinks and have no projected availability date. I just won't be able to use F as often with the band. Unless I write us some songs in F... But it would make a great "play because I love to play" instrument.

I've also sent an email out to Bracker asking about air requirements on his G. And I've been thinking long and hard about just going for a goldie, but that four month wait is more than I can handle right now. In the future as I build my collection, I will definitely be adding a goldie... maybe in Low E or even A. When I have a few other nice whistles around, the wait for the Goldie won't be so hard :-)