Deserted Island

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
krystlepye
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Deserted Island

Post by krystlepye »

You are stranded on a deserted island. You only had time to salvage two whistles from the wreckage, along with two CD's of ITM to jam along with. (you manage to make off with a solar powered CD player as well I suppose). Which two whistles and albums do you grab as you abandon ship?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Deserted Island

Post by Peter Duggan »

Hans Bracker D and Bb and some other CDs altogether (for listening to, not jamming).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Good question! I could use a bit of deserted island today.

Whistles: MK pro low D, DIY-tweaked Oak high C.

Albums: Réalta - Open the Door for Three, David Power - Cuaichín Ghleann Neifín.

I might give different answers on the whistles, and would probably give different answers on the albums, if you asked me again next month.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

stanton135 wrote:David Power - Cuaichín Ghleann Neifín.
Funny, I nearly said the eighteen Moloney if it had to be Irish because that's the one I've been listening to and enjoying recently. But don't think the pitch would suit playing along even if I wanted to!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Ha! That's what the Oak C is for. On Cuaichín, most of the tracks seem to be at concert C pitch--no tuning adjustment necessary.

I probably would have put some early Molloy on my list if my solar-powered CD player could be adjusted for pitch (and speed!)
krystlepye

Post by krystlepye »

Peter Duggan wrote: if it had to be Irish
I do beg your pardon. The Scott heritage in me just slapped the Irish part. :poke:

Any trad will do of course.
Brus

Post by Brus »

krystlepye wrote:You are stranded on a deserted island. You only had time to salvage two whistles from the wreckage, along with two CD's of ITM to jam along with. (you manage to make off with a solar powered CD player as well I suppose). Which two whistles and albums do you grab as you abandon ship?
Whistles: Classic Gen D and Susato low D

Hmmmm. Two albums? Sorry, my head would explode. I can't pick just two.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Poohze

Post by Poohze »

Hokay...

Whistles: First would be my Bleazey blackwood G, because I just love it to pieces! Second choice is harder... Hmm, I think the Mellow Dog, because it's just so bloody versatile.

Recordings: Nah, I'm with Brus. Too hard. This is the 21st century. All my music fits on a thumb-drive. I'm taking everything! :lol:

Cheers

Marc E
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

-Walt Whitman
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Andrea Corr and she could choose the whistle....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Milligan Delrin D, Blackbird Eb
Wooden Flute Obsession volume 2 (2 discs) - if I get another CD, then volume 1.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Chieftain OS C for the low range, Oz C for the high range.

CDwise (if any trad will do) apologies to my Scottish grandfather. Then again the ex vikings likely wound up in Brittany too, so I'd go with Alan Stivell - Journée à La Maison (not for the flute but for Alan's voice) and from Denmark, Poul Høxbro - Tu Tu Pan Pan, which is mostly medieval. His Ralph Sweet Tabor pipe in G sounds incredible. HAS ANYONE GOT ONE OF THESE?
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Although I do not have any in my possession. I think I would want to take the biggest most heaviest Low D or lower solid aluminum whistles. That way, I could maybe use them to kill the wildlife that may be roaming the island or swimming in the lagoon. Tote water too. A fellow has got to eat.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Derek Blackwell wrote:...His Ralph Sweet Tabor pipe in G sounds incredible. HAS ANYONE GOT ONE OF THESE?
I have one of, what I believe is the last batch he made circa 2006. A gift from a friend who believed that everyone should play Morris music. Nice instrument but sadly it languishes un-played among the whistles, flutes and Native American flutes.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

A Generation nickel D and Bb.

Albums, hmmm, that's a tough one. If I had to narrow it down to two it would be 1 by Joanie Madden and one by Micho Russell. Not sure which albums though.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Easy choice for the whistles: my beat-up but wonderful MK Low D, and my 35-year-old Generation C.

As for CDs it would be The Art Of The Fugue and... well, there doesn't need to be a 2nd one. I could spent several lifetimes noodling along with that! And never 'have' it all.

At an uilleann pipe workshop the 'name' piper teaching the class was posed the 'deserted island' question and also said The Art Of The Fugue. I paid extra-close attention to the rest of his workshop!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle