Does SIZE matter?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Does SIZE matter?

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I have been disapointed at many a session, by the absence of Bass and Contrabass woodwinds to "ground out" the music and fill in the backgound with their wonderful harmonics. Here are a few examples...

The Sub Contrabass Recorder (practical?)
http://uk.geocities.com/geoffw27/Recorder/SubCb.jpg

The Paetzold Square Contrabass in F
http://lachesis.caltech.edu/jayeaston/g ... etzold.gif

The Galactic Bamboo Flute
http://www.romyb.com/graphics/gal_flute_8.jpg

A very rare Double Fujara (a type of contrabass tabor pipe with 3 toneholes{each tube here})
http://www.volny.cz/vico/koblicek/image ... ujara1.JPG

Dale Wisely's Super Secret Sub Contrabass Series!!!
http://www.corbie.com/Images/organ_pipes.jpg

These examples are for fun, but would any of you consider playing bass whistles if they were inexpensive and easy to play? I believe they could be made to be so.

Beginers would love these instruments because they play slow paced background notes with rest intervals between sets. In this way,beginers could play with the pro's all night without being "pushed out" when things speed up. Any opinions?
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Oh yes....this would be a Very Cool Thing! As long as I didn't pass out from lack of oxygen!

Thomas, I'd love to try it out in session!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

In that vein, there's a cello player who shows up to our sessions occasionally. I wish she would come more often, it's *really* nice to have some bass added to the mix.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

I think an instrument like that would be way cool, I'd definitly want to try one out! (It would also be more effective for the use of smacking family members who call it a "flute".)
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've looked at these so called "recorder" thingies before! :moreevil: They don't have a play or record button anywhere, but what they do have is far too many holes. :boggle:

Obviously, a tool of the devil trying to lure you down the dark path. :devil:
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

You had to post a question like that for an old tuba player to see. Shame!
Put me at the top of the list to test and evaluate. I'll dwell on this idea all day and probably have some interesting dreams this week.

Mike
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Thank you all for your answers. I belive that an efficient contrabass whistle is not a "pipedream", if you will excuse the pun. An expanding conical headjoint, like a Boehm flute, coupled with a voicing like this one...

http://www.organstops.org/o/OrchFlute2$.gif

...would reduce wind usage to a minimum and result in a powerful tone. A simple keyworks and a bocal mouth tube would complete the package for easy fingering. I'll keep you posted with any future prototypes. Thanks again for your responses.
markv

Post by markv »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:Thank you all for your answers. I belive that an efficient contrabass whistle is not a "pipedream", if you will excuse the pun. An expanding conical headjoint, like a Boehm flute, coupled with a voicing like this one...

http://www.organstops.org/o/OrchFlute2$.gif

...would reduce wind usage to a minimum and result in a powerful tone. A simple keyworks and a bocal mouth tube would complete the package for easy fingering. I'll keep you posted with any future prototypes. Thanks again for your responses.
Thomas,

Nice illustration link. Did you notice that the cross section depicted is very similar to how the voicing works on a Native American flute? I wonder if there would be any octave problems as a result? The reason I ask is that on NA flutes you really only have about 9 notes on a six hole flute and overblowing doesn't work as in a whistle voicing. Organ pipes are also voiced for a single octave. Is that just inherent in this type of "upside down" arrangement? I've always wondered about that.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Hi Mark

In both cases you stated, the answer is excessive bore diameter,not voicing design. Most N/A flutes and organ pipes have oversized internal bores that prohibit or restrict harmonic overblowing.

A rough minimum ratio of borelength to diameter between 1/26 to 1/40 is needed to overblow harmonic registers. If the bore diameter is larger, the instrument will not have enough acoustic energy to produce harmonic overtones
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Thomas,
Have you ever heard of Colcannon? They're a band from Denver/Laramie, fairly well-known around here. They have a bass player, really good (he plays with the Cheyenne Symphony, too). While not exactly "traditional," it really does ground the sound. He plays a pretty mean slip jig, too!

Of course, I'm another old low brass player (euph and tuba) and I think most bands sound top heavy, so I freely admit I'm biassed. I always try to tune my bodhran to a low d for sessions just to add a small bit of bottom end.

Tom
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

p.s. I've also done some experimenting with adding tuba and euphonium to some Scottish tunes on recordings (it would probably never work live--too loud), mostly playing chords and occasionally joining in on the melody. You might be surprised how well the sound blends with whistle/guitar. Stay tuned.

TW
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

WyoBadger wrote:Of course, I'm another old low brass player (euph and tuba) and I think most bands sound top heavy, so I freely admit I'm biassed. I always try to tune my bodhran to a low d for sessions just to add a small bit of bottom end.

Tom
We'll get you a bass nose flute next year, Tom.
WyoBadger

Post by WyoBadger »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh
:love:
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Thomas,
I know someone who has a Paetzold contrabass, those mouthpieces tend to clog and he has had troble with wood rippling and shrinking.

I hope to make one out of Delrin. Have you seen my first basswhistle? It's a 6 hole all keyed whistle an octave below middle-C (Low-C). It uses 1 1/2" PVC pipe.

I'm still in the design phase on the chromatic bass whistle - I hope to use a product like "hollowood" to make the tonebody and use brass keys.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Daniel, aren't the Paetzold basses made of planks mostly to ease the construction of a conical bore (I guess a 3 feet long reamer might be hard to find ;) )? And doesn't this help to get to and through a second register?

Now there's another manufacturer of "square" basses--Dolmetsch, a brand not to neglect in, er, vertical fippled flutes...

Check out: http://www.dolmetsch.com/millennium.htm

or see this...