newbie needs help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: newbie needs help

Post by BigDavy »

Hi MzMolly65

If you dislike the sound that a high D whistle makes, you could try a low D instead of the narrow bore D Peter suggested.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
killthemessenger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

Or go midway, for an A or somesuch. That way you still have the comfortable fingering of a high whistle, but with a more mellow sound.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

killthemessenger wrote:Or go midway, for an A or somesuch. That way you still have the comfortable fingering of a high whistle, but with a more mellow sound.
... which is exactly what she's done, per the OP.
megapop

Post by megapop »

MzMolly65 wrote:For some reason some of my notes don't match their notes.
Yes, yours are a fourth below theirs. As Peter said, this is no problem when playing alone (from charts etc. everything should be internally consistent regardless of the key) but only when you're trying to play along with these clips. What is striking though is that only some of your notes seem to be wrong. So maybe your whistle is seriously out of tune in itself... I don't really know Mr. Becker's reputation, but judging from the clips he provides on his site he isn't a particularly capable player himself.

Good luck anyway! :)
return null;
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

benhall.1 wrote:
killthemessenger wrote:Or go midway, for an A or somesuch. That way you still have the comfortable fingering of a high whistle, but with a more mellow sound.
... which is exactly what she's done, per the OP.
:lol: :lol: :lol: what an idiot! I read the first page a couple of days back. Well in that case, no problem.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
MzMolly65

Post by MzMolly65 »

megapop wrote:
MzMolly65 wrote:For some reason some of my notes don't match their notes.
What is striking though is that only some of your notes seem to be wrong. So maybe your whistle is seriously out of tune in itself... I don't really know Mr. Becker's reputation, but judging from the clips he provides on his site he isn't a particularly capable player himself.
Well .. I can't comment regarding Mr. Becker's playing but this whistle ***seems*** to be in tune based on playing scales. I was wondering if the notes had a typo or maybe it's my bad playing after all.

I am able to haltingly stumble through 4 tunes after only 12 hours of practice: Mary Had A Little Lamb, Frare Jacques, Rattling Bog and Deus Meus are my beginners repertoire. My husband was laughing but also impressed and made me stand for a video so we can compare my playing in a few months time. Personally I think he's about to embarrass me emailing that to family, LOL!!!

I'm starting to get the hang of fingering and breath .. not as squawky as when I first picked it up and I'm starting to remember the finger placements for notes. I'm really having fun. So much more to learn.

Thank you all for your comments and advice.