OT: What's the easiest string instrument?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I was under the impression a Drum Stick is much like a mountain dulcimer in the way it's tuned and played.

If you don't like tuning then the Drum Stick and Mountain Dulcimer are good bets since they have fewer strings to tune.

The mandolin is fun because if you learn a couple of chord shapes you can play in just about any key. Just move up or down the neck.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Here's a French source for simple strings. They look pretty easy, I'd even dare say "bare bones", but the prices are light too.
http://www.reference-lingerie.com/fr/ca ... angas.html
nickt

Post by nickt »

Zubivka wrote:Here's a French source for simple strings. They look pretty easy, I'd even dare say "bare bones", but the prices are light too.
http://www.reference-lingerie.com/fr/ca ... angas.html
Hahaha!! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: :shock: :P

I guess there ARE some things the French do best! But isn't there a French word for "string"?!
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

:lol: I'd like to see Air on 'G' String played on the hammered dulcimer.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Walden, That's a GREAT rendition of Be Thou My Vision. Did you record that on a computer or with real recording equipment.

jim_mc there's also Karen Mueller and Brian Bowers for autoharp players. Karen put out a book on Celtic music for the autoharp with some great stuff.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Guy Costanzo

Easiest String Instrument

Post by Guy Costanzo »

The ukulele, with only four strings, is easy to get up and running on - but will take you as far as you want to go. Jazz greats, like Lyle Ritz, and Herb Ohta can do amazing things on a ukulele. You can get a fairly nice one for not too much money, too.
tcm

Post by tcm »

geek4music wrote:Walden, That's a GREAT rendition of Be Thou My Vision. Did you record that on a computer or with real recording equipment.

jim_mc there's also Karen Mueller and Brian Bowers for autoharp players. Karen put out a book on Celtic music for the autoharp with some great stuff.
For a sample of Karen Mueller on the autoharp try: http://shorock.com/folk/karen/Cheatham.mp3

You can get info on her book and other CDs at: http://shorock.com/folk/karen/index.html

Tom
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I'd also vote for the mandolin. Of all the instruments I play it's the one I get the most joy out of. Plus, once you know your way around the mando, you can also play tenor banjo, and you've got a considerable leg up on learning bouzouki or fiddle.

Rob
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

CRANBERRY: With your wrist problems, I'd recommend hammered dulcimer. Playing my HD is the only thing I do that doesn't bother my bad wrist at all. Just be sure you develop a hammer hold that keeps your wrists straight and relaxed. The grip taught in Lucille Reilly's beginning HD book, "Striking Out and Winning", works great for me.

I don't play any other stringed instruments so I really can't compare, but I think HD is lots easier than it looks. (And I can't help thinking that if I can learn to play it, anyone can!) It's like those games that advertise "5 minutes to learn, a lifetime to master" -- you can start making beautiful sounds right away, and with practice you can play faster and fancier. I think it's similar to the harp in that it sounds lovely, immediately. Depending on where you live, the hammered dulcimer should satisfy your desire for something out of the ordinary. Most people I encounter have never seen one before, and are enchanted with its sound. The downside is cost, and tuning.

I've never played a mountain (Appalachian, lap, fretted) dulcimer, but my guess is that the angle at which you fret it might be easier on the wrist than a mandolin, ukelele, or guitar, which all put a lot of stress on the left wrist especially.

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

geek4music wrote:Walden, That's a GREAT rendition of Be Thou My Vision. Did you record that on a computer or with real recording equipment.
My flute and mandolin parts were recorded on a 99 cent computer microphone, but the finished product, with the various people playing, was put together on professional equipment by Gary.
Reasonable person
Walden
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Cranberry,

Here's a suggestion that hasn't been mentioned.
Acoustic Bass Guitar. Its simple, different, and will fit in with many styles of play in your area of WV. We've had a couple show up from time to time at sessions, and they seem to work well, providing support to the tunes ryhthm or some time adding a drone foundation below the other instruments. One of the player, simple played the bare bones of the tune in the bass register, 1-3 notes per measure, that added an accent to the melody.

It would also provide you with an instrument that would fit easily into other folk styles in your area: Blue Grass, Old Time, and Blues. You can pick up an acoustic bass starting around $300.

Just one more suggestion as to another way to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
french

Post by french »

rbm wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
french wrote:what would be a good mandolin for a beginner?
That's nearly impossible to answer.

Spend as much as you can afford, certainly don't go for the cheapest option. "Beginner" or "Student" Mandolins are going to hold you back. Don't bother with an f style (with the scroll) unless money is no object. An A style (raindrop shaped body) is great for playing Irish music. Try a few in the shop to see what feels comfortable.

I always wear a strap when playing, even though I usually play sitting down - it frees the hands, and saves me from trying to grip the neck.
so ok Martin what mando do you play?

I've never found a strap that works well with the round back, but agree it's best to use one on the A style.
martin milner/rbm -

thanks for the answers. i don't want to spend more than $200.

any ideas?

- tom
Jack

Post by Jack »

I must say....I'm leaning toward hammered dulcimer or acoustic bass (that sounds interesting). Cost isn't that huge of a factor for me, because like I said I don't plan to go out and get it tomorrow so I have a lot of time to get enough money. I want to wait until I get to be at least decent on whistle before I start anything else seriously.

And with Byll's mention of a bowed psaltery, I remembered that one of my teachers in school played one. I can remember her playing songs on it while we all sang along, but I never knew what it was. :)
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Okay, I never should have even looked at this thread...I've never liked stringed instruments and hadn't planned on getting one, until now.

Should I go for the baritone ukulele or the acoustic bass ? Is there a difference between 4-string tenor guitar and acoustic bass?

How should I have a ukulele tuned for playing Irish? Can you set it up like a 4-string banjo (I'm not sure how they're tuned, but I can find out).

and finally, a REAL question:

Which stringed instrumet (on the cheap end of the scale) would be best for playing melody/notes rather than chords?

-Brett
pthouron

STRING INSTRUMENT

Post by pthouron »

I am not sure there is such a thing as an "easy" instrument. When I was considering the uillean pipes, most people told me to take up the whistle (much easier instrument they said)... I am not finding it particularly easy, at least to play it properly.
This being said, and having played it for 25 years, I am partial to the guitar. Particularly in the celtic styles, it can do great things with alternate tunings (check out Tony McManus and Steven Baughman).