Cheap, (yet loud and good) low D or low F recommendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cheap, (yet loud and good) low D or low F recommendations?

Post by Bothrops »

Hey, people!

I haven't posted here in like YEARS :P

I'm looking for recommendations of a good and loud low D or low F whistle to play in the street (for busking). It doesn't have to be terribly loud, but it definitely can't be very quiet, because where I play it's fairly noisy.

My budget is very limited, so I may even have to resort to buying a used one, but could you please guide me in which brand and model could I get? I had the Susato Low D in the past but didn't like it very much.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Martin
supergeo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Cheap, (yet loud and good) low D or low F recommendations?

Post by supergeo »

I would suggest a Dixon One piece polymer. Excellent tone, very responsive, low price and a great value.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Hi Martin
It's good to see you here again.
I would say that unless you go down the Reyburn or MK route which are out of your price range then you're going to struggle to find a low D with good volume.
I was going to suggest a Susato F, a good work tool for the streets.

Nick
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

narrowdog wrote:Hi Martin
It's good to see you here again.
I would say that unless you go down the Reyburn or MK route which are out of your price range then you're going to struggle to find a low D with good volume.
I was going to suggest a Susato F, a good work tool for the streets.

Nick
Hey Nick! How are you doing!?

I still have the low F that you made for me, and I love it to practice at home, but it's too quiet to play in the street. I need something louder.

I thought about a Susato low F, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna like it. I'm a Susato fan when it comes to high whistles (I own Susatos in C, E, Eb and high F. I used to have an awesome Susato VSB in D too, but my niece lost it :( ). Since I had a Susato low D and didn't like it much, I don't know if I'll like the low F. If it was as good as the high whistles then it would be a favorite.

I saw in the classifieds a Chieftain low D for u$s 120. That's within my budget. Do you know if that's a good whistle for what I'm looking for?

Cheers :)
Martin
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

supergeo wrote:I would suggest a Dixon One piece polymer. Excellent tone, very responsive, low price and a great value.
What about its volume? Is is too quite or do you think it could perform well in the street?
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

The Kerry optima that was recently on tour was actually pretty nice (unlike the other whistles I've tried from kerrywhistles/chieftain). It was cheap, and pretty goldie-esque in sound, with good volume. Requires a bit of backing off in the low notes, but that wasn't really bothersome for me. If I were in your situation I'd try that out.

I would really suggest just waiting until you have enough money for a Reviol, though :tomato:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

If the OP means "loud" in reference to how various makes of Low D compare to each other, the Dixon and Optima were two of the three quietest whistles of several I recently reviewed

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95717&hilit=optima&start=45

In relation to other instruments one encounters at typical Irish sessions, even the loudest Low Ds tend to get lost in the low register, in a medium-sized or larger session.

Following the OP's specifications (cheap, loud, good) is difficult, because in general one gets what one pays for.

In that review the volume was (loudest > quietest)

Maplehead Reyburn > MK > Burke/Susato > Optima/Polyhead Reyburn > Dixon

Setting "good" aside for a moment, if we go "loud and cheap" it would have to be Susato, one of the cheapest Low Ds available yet middle-of-the-pack in terms of volume.

Susato aside, generally you pay more to get more volume (MK, Burke, Goldie are among the loudest whistles).

The "good" part is complicated, potentially encompassing tuning, timbre, evenness of volume/voicing across the gamut, strength of Bottom D, quickness of response, nimbleness of octaves, ease/sweetness of high notes, air usage, and ergonomics.

Just one of these, ergonomics, is complicated, encompassing fingerhole spacing and size, tube diameter, and weight to name just three.

No Low D, perhaps, is the best at all of these various things. Low Ds which are the best at most of them are not cheap.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
retired

Post by retired »

Mk Kelpies occasionally pop up used for about $150 -plenty loud and and it's a good whistle.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Bothrops, since you are looking for volume and want to keep the costs down, have you considered PVC flutes in those keys? That's what I would suggest.

Make your own if you want to keep things as inexpensive as possible (provided you have some simple tools already).

I'd agree that the Dixon is one of the quieter low D's. Their low F is better but still rather demur. You'd get better volume out of their flute analogs.

The louder whistles I am familiar with are all fairly expensive, as has been said.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Punch Keen

Post by Punch Keen »

Like Retired above I'd like to put a word in for the MK Kelpie, I have both the Low D & Low F and they are excellent (especially for the modest price) PLENTY of volume, in tune, superb tone and build quality.

I play my Low F 90% of the time these days, I would consider selling the Low D, if interested please send me a PM.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Thanks a lot to everyone for the great answers.

I didn't know the "MK Kelpie" line. I just checked the prices and the low D costs ~176 u$s new, which is not overly expensive. That's a little more than what I could pay right now, though, but I think I'll just wait a little bit and go with one of those.
Last edited by Bothrops on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
narrowdog

Post by narrowdog »

There's a Kelpie here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=97999
Might be worth a sending a PM.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm a big believer in picking up whistles used.

You pay less, get it right away, and it you don't like it you can sell it for the same price you bought it for.

I've picked up a couple tunable MKs (low D) for around $200 each. Likewise vintage Overtons.

MKs and vintage Overtons and new Goldies are more or less equally "loud and good" but MKs play very differently from whistles of the Overton/Goldie design. You owe it to yourself to get one of each and see what you like.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I mention Shaw because I had a chance to repair a low D once and it was loud by my experience. It wasn't anything I did to make it so. Probably not a good recommendation from the "quiet guy".
They are fairly inexpensive and definitely are a tin whistle in looks and feel.
Mack