New flute, by Francois Baubet

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

New flute, by Francois Baubet

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Just had to share :)
Got this second hand keyless D Mopane flute today, made by Francois Baubet.
I already have one of his Delrin flutes, and this one just confirms my belief that he is really a top notch maker!
Only gripe is that the right hand section and foot are stuck like someone used superglue for cork grease..
I hardly ever take those two pieces apart on my other flutes, but still.. Guess i will have to wait for the dreaded Scandinavian winter to hopefully take care of it.

the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
megapop
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: New flute, by Francois Baubet

Post by megapop »

Do you know if this model is based on a particular historical design? (... IIRC your delrin flute was a R&R copy, wasn't it?)

Looks nice anyway! How about a sound clip? :puppyeyes:
return null;
Lars Larry Mór Mott

I have heard on the grapevine that Francois flutes are based on/inspired by? Chris Wilkes, and that neither he nor any modern maker carbon copies old flutes with more or less quirks :) Then again, you said "based on".. I guess since he use separate RH and LH sections that Pratten can be ruled out looks wise, on the other hand i've been told Eamonn Cotter use a 'Rudall-esque' bore but Pratten looks.
I really don't know. All i *do* know is that more people should buy flutes from Francois before he starts charging what the flutes are truly worth!
megapop

Post by megapop »

Ah yes, sorry, that was the other recent Baubet-thread which was about an R&R copy... or "R&R inspired" for that matter. :)
return null;
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Might be the opposite of "tenon compression" from the cork. It seems to have a way of deforming the wood in the socket. I have a set of Spanish Bagpipes that are that way, from really tight cork being used on the drone sliders. Hard going in and then its like it reaches a chamber. Am going to have to carefully reream these out some day. Then thread wrap the tenons.

I find that a little but of side to side movement is enough usually to unlock cork tenons from their sockets, rather than a rotary motion.

Mopane is still one of my favorite flute woods and I just loaded up with more of it. Pretty flute.

Casey
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Pretty flute...but I was actively trying NOT to think of Francois' flutes...I think I have 7 months or so left to wait for my keyed flute.

Eric
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Interested to see how you think it compares with your delrin one in your experience. When was the mopane flute made?
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Sirchronique wrote:Interested to see how you think it compares with your delrin one in your experience. When was the mopane flute made?
The Mopane one was delivered (and thus made) in 2011.
First impression is that it is more "vibrant" sounding than the delrin one, a bigger, more complex sound. Not really a fair comparison since he use different reamers now than the ones he did 3 years ago.
Would be more relevant to compare two recent flutes for difference in sound since that would be almost exclusively down to material used.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Nice looking flute! :thumbsup:
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Talked to the original owner, apparently he never took the foot and RH section apart.. MIght be something of a challenge to part them three years later..
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

Audio file?
I pray! :party:
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Timberflute22 wrote:Audio file?
I pray! :party:
You might be wanting one of this specific flute, but I will add that Francois has a YouTube channel with various videos of his different flutes.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Bit of tomb raiding/thread resurrection here.. anyhoo.. Sound clips you asked?
Here's the Mopane Baubet CLICK
And the Delrin Baubet for comparison CLICK

As usual it's *not* me playing in the clips.. Sorry (better me than you ;) )
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Both sound great, and pretty much the same to me. Maybe they sound a bit different in person (if you still feel that way), but recorded...I'm not sure I could pick which was which based only on sound.

Nice playing, too, if not you...then who is it? We demand names! :swear:

4.5 months still to go...just added 4 of his large, flat rings. I've loved that style of rings since I first same them in the Timber! flute tutor, and now they shall be mine! :love:

Now my flute, is going to look like this (well, except in delrin not cocus, no Cnat and only one head joint):

Eric
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:Bit of tomb raiding/thread resurrection here.. anyhoo.. Sound clips you asked?
Here's the Mopane Baubet CLICK
And the Delrin Baubet for comparison CLICK

As usual it's *not* me playing in the clips.. Sorry (better me than you ;) )

Who is the player in the clips? Nice to hear what the flute is capable of!

Of course there are several variables to take into account, but in those particular clips I actually preferred the sound in the delrin one.

Edit: Nevermind. I see it was Marc in the clips. Nice! Thanks for sharing.