Introduction ad question: Susato Small vs Very Small bore

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wodan22
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Introduction ad question: Susato Small vs Very Small bore

Post by wodan22 »

This is technically not my first post, but I realized I had not done an intro post.
I bought my first tin whistle about a decade or so ago, but never got anywhere with it and gave up quickly.

A musical instrument thread on the Something Awful forum (shout out to any goons out there) re-introduced me to the whistle recently, along with some resources for learning to play the whistle (including this forum). I have been lurking the forums for a week or two and did my first post last week. I own several whistles (a Milligan, a susato, 3 dixons, 2 feadogs, an oak, and Mr. Busman is currently making me one of his whistles).

I have a question about Susato whistles. First off, I personally like Susato whistles. My problem is that I have a Small Bore high D susato which is loud, and I live in an apartment. I really like the susato, but I don't want to disturb my neighbors. I am considering possibly getting a Susato with the very small bore. Is there that much of a noticeable reduction in volume going from the S to the V? If I get a V, will I be able to play it in my apartment without disturbing my neighbors?
MTGuru

Re: Introduction ad question: Susato Very Small bore vs Small bo

Post by MTGuru »

wodan22 wrote:This is technically not my first post, but I realized I had not done an intro post.
This is technically not an official welcome, but welcome. :-)

I like Susatos, too. I think you'd find that the V bore is a bit quieter, but it's still a pretty loud whistle - certainly no quieter than the others you mentioned, if your concern is for the neighbors. Instead, I'd first try one of the various muting tricks - paper clip, putty, cardboard, "overblow" - on what you've already got. Just search the forum for "whistle mute". Also, the muting tone ring is quite effective on Parks whistles. And the Shush and SV whistles from Big Whistle are made for quiet practice.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
wodan22

Re: Introduction ad question: Susato Very Small bore vs Small bo

Post by wodan22 »

MTGuru wrote:
wodan22 wrote:This is technically not my first post, but I realized I had not done an intro post.
This is technically not an official welcome, but welcome. :-)

I like Susatos, too. I think you'd find that the V bore is a bit quieter, but it's still a pretty loud whistle - certainly no quieter than the others you mentioned, if your concern is for the neighbors. Instead, I'd first try one of the various muting tricks - paper clip, putty, cardboard, "overblow" - on what you've already got. Just search the forum for "whistle mute". Also, the muting tone ring is quite effective on Parks whistles. And the Shush and SV whistles from Big Whistle are made for quiet practice.
Hypnotoad compels me to thank you. Thanks!
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Introduction ad question: Susato Small vs Very Small bore

Post by Sirchronique »

I think the V series is overall a much much better whistle, personally. It's louder than your standard cheapie whistle still, but in my opinion it's smoother in the spots where it needs to be, in comparison to the S-series. The upper octave on the V series is much cleaner, gentler, and smoothed out, especially in those highest notes that some people complain about on the S-series. I find it has better volume balance overall, as the volume doesn't vary by as much in the upper octave, compared to how the S-series does. I think it's almost like a whistle that's halfway in between your more "traditional' types of whistles, and the S series susato. Not a bad whistle, but I prefer others much more. Still, I'd take it over the S series D any day, hands down. The upper octave on it does sound especially nice. Also, it plays more to my liking, as the octave transitions are smoother and crisper for me. Responsive whistle, too!
wodan22

Post by wodan22 »

Sirchronique wrote:I think the V series is overall a much much better whistle, personally. It's louder than your standard cheapie whistle still, but in my opinion it's smoother in the spots where it needs to be, in comparison to the S-series. The upper octave on the V series is much cleaner, gentler, and smoothed out, especially in those highest notes that some people complain about on the S-series. I find it has better volume balance overall, as the volume doesn't vary by as much in the upper octave, compared to how the S-series does. I think it's almost like a whistle that's halfway in between your more "traditional' types of whistles, and the S series susato. Not a bad whistle, but I prefer others much more. Still, I'd take it over the S series D any day, hands down. The upper octave on it does sound especially nice. Also, it plays more to my liking, as the octave transitions are smoother and crisper for me. Responsive whistle, too!
Thanks so much for the info. I actually decided to give the V series a shot and ordered one. It sounds like it combines everything I like about the Susato with the few things I didn't like about the S series. Once it gets here, the S series may become my "beater" whistle that I keep in the car.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sirchronique wrote:I think the V series is overall a much much better whistle, personally. It's louder than your standard cheapie whistle still, but in my opinion it's smoother in the spots where it needs to be, in comparison to the S-series. The upper octave on the V series is much cleaner, gentler, and smoothed out...
Thanks for that info.

I've owned a large number of Susatos over the last 35 years and they have a general tendency to have bores that are too big and 2nd octaves that are a bit loud, harsh, or difficult.

As I've said before I tend to like the lower Susatos best; my angled-neck keyless low C is great. (Of course the low C has a narrow bore-to-length ratio.) I used to have a Susato A with a quite narrow bore (same as their high D?) (the head looked the same as their D head at that time, maybe 20 years ago) and it played very nicely, like a good Generation whistles more or less. All the other Susato A's I've come across or owned have had somewhat larger bores and didn't have 2nd octaves that were as nice.

Anyhow for the OP, why not use a nice Feadog if you want lower volume? I love my c1980 Feadog.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
wodan22

Post by wodan22 »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Sirchronique wrote:I think the V series is overall a much much better whistle, personally. It's louder than your standard cheapie whistle still, but in my opinion it's smoother in the spots where it needs to be, in comparison to the S-series. The upper octave on the V series is much cleaner, gentler, and smoothed out...
Thanks for that info.

I've owned a large number of Susatos over the last 35 years and they have a general tendency to have bores that are too big and 2nd octaves that are a bit loud, harsh, or difficult.

As I've said before I tend to like the lower Susatos best; my angled-neck keyless low C is great. (Of course the low C has a narrow bore-to-length ratio.) I used to have a Susato A with a quite narrow bore (same as their high D?) (the head looked the same as their D head at that time, maybe 20 years ago) and it played very nicely, like a good Generation whistles more or less. All the other Susato A's I've come across or owned have had somewhat larger bores and didn't have 2nd octaves that were as nice.

Anyhow for the OP, why not use a nice Feadog if you want lower volume? I love my c1980 Feadog.
That is a valid question. The answer being that I already own a couple feadogs. :) I like my feadogs (brass and nickel) and play them often, and the volume is definitely apartment friendly. To me the susato is a different beast altogether (which I know some folks don't like or don't consider them "real" pennywhistles) and I was trying to get that in an apartment friendly version. Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse to by another Susato. :wink:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You could consider an injection moulded Lon Dubh. It's quiet-ish and well balanced and it has a certain plasticky feel in common with the susatos.
My brain hurts

whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Funny that you mention the narrow bore A Richard. I've a friend here who I suggested to get an A whistle to use for accompanying the vocals that his band does. I went to look for a Susato A, at the local music shop. Was surprised at the size of it! I too have the narrow bore A. Used it as my go to A whistle until I got the Sindt A/Bb combo. I haven't tried the larger bore A but I found the narrow bore to be a very nice whistle. Now, I have to track that whistle down as I have loaned it out to somebody else because it looks like they will not be made again. I will loan it to this guy now until he gets his own. Too bad they don't make that narrow bore A...it is a very tidy whistle!
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

I have both D.

On volume:
S-series can be used to pierce the drum and guitar
V-series is quieter but can make it's prescence be heard, it is sweet and crisp.

Air Awareness:
S- Series - last 3-4 notes of the second octave needs a sudden air velocity shift if you want it to sing. You need to breathe and reserve a lot of air. Higher Back Pressure... I can feel my backbones making a crack sound.

V-Series- no pressure at all, but van be touchy if you over breathe on it specially the second octave D and E.

However this back pressure is relative. For me, I find it easy to control the Low D Susato than the S-series High D.

You need earphones playing this one or you'll break your eardrums as you play an A-B-C#-D high octave.
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
wodan22

Post by wodan22 »

My V-series arrived over the weekend, and it is exactly what I was looking for. Loud, but quiet enough for my apartment. Everything I like about susato's sounds and they way that they play, but a much better sound overall than the S-series, and the transition between the lower and upper octaves is much smoother and more natural. Much thanks!