Newbie says hai too you all, & a question...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Droopy the sad Dawg
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Newbie says hai too you all, & a question...

Post by Droopy the sad Dawg »

Hai Everyone..

I have been playing whistle for about 2 weeks, and am fully addicted I am afraid..so this is the place to be I guess ..also since it seems to be a fun forum where people have humor..

:party: :D

Sorry for my bad Irish writing, since I am not a native Irish speaker..
Also I dont know anything about ITM but have to say I am interested in learning about it, I have been playing electric guitar for 25 years ( fusion, jazzy, funky, bluesy stuff ) and started playing whistle to be able to play some melodies over my chord arrangments.

I have a couple of questions also..

1 What is a "WHOAD" or "WOAD", my guess is it has something to do with "acute whistle aquiring defeciency syndrome" or something like that right ?????

2 What is the connection between dogs and whistles ??
I have seen there are a lot of references to dogs in whitsle brand names and forum names and avatars, so was wondering what is up with that..

Ok guys cheers, talk soon Dr :( :( p
MTGuru

Re: Newbie says hai too you all, & a question...

Post by MTGuru »

Hi, and welcome.
Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:1 What is a "WHOAD" or "WOAD", my guess is it has something to do with "acute whistle aquiring defeciency syndrome" or something like that right ?????
WhOA(D) = Whistle Obsessive Acquisition (Disorder). So yes, you were close. Of course, the word "whoa" means "stop". So it is also a kind of double entendre or pun.
Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:2 What is the connection between dogs and whistles ??
The Irish word for whistle is "feadóg" which really means "little flute". But in English it looks like a kind of dog. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Upper register whistle notes also sometimes make dogs disappear....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Welcome!
Hello, my name is Mack I am a whistle-a-holic...
My whistling sets all the neighborhood dogs off.
I think we have every variation of dog tone around us.
We don't have a dog, But I do have lots of feadogs...
And WhIM Whistle Inventing Mania.
That has brought WhOA to a halt.
Well, maybe slowed it down a bit.
mwilson

Post by mwilson »

Mind the spelling. Spelling is important. Woad is a kind of blue paint which is the only thing you wear if you're giving a REALLY traditional performance.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:I have seen there are a lot of references to dogs in whitsle brand names and forum names and avatars, so was wondering what is up with that..
Well, that IS my name there.

Welcome to the whistle forum... and have fun! :)
Droopy the sad Dawg

MTGuru wrote:Hi, and welcome.
Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:1 What is a "WHOAD" or "WOAD", my guess is it has something to do with "acute whistle aquiring defeciency syndrome" or something like that right ?????
WhOA(D) = Whistle Obsessive Acquisition (Disorder). So yes, you were close. Of course, the word "whoa" means "stop". So it is also a kind of double entendre or pun.
Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:2 What is the connection between dogs and whistles ??
The Irish word for whistle is "feadóg" which really means "little flute". But in English it looks like a kind of dog. :-)
Hai Guru and rest of you guys..

Thanks that is clear, and thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I allready learned a lot from the information provided here, since I am not only playing but also attempting to make my own whistles, so it is good to know about details like bore, fipple and flue size etc..and how they respond to the sound of the instrument, its all here..cool.

Have a nice day boys, and speak soon Cheers Saddoggy.
Droopy the sad Dawg

Mack.Hoover wrote:Welcome!

And WhIM Whistle Inventing Mania.
That has brought WhOA to a halt.
Well, maybe slowed it down a bit.
Hey Mack..

Interesting point, I was just thinking about that concept, of preventing WhOA by taking WhIM medicine..

In fact I was experimenting building a couple of NAF prototypes.
When I decided to do one without the soundchamber, and a relative small bore, just to see what happens.

Then I started playing the thing and realised I could play 2 octaves instead of a raised 9th, like the NAF has.
And I really like the 2 octave thing..

So I made a pentatonic whistle instead of a NAF, and thats how I ended up here.. :D :D

The problem could be..that now I need a OZ whistle to see how it sounds..and blows..just curious..
So if anyone has an old OZ laying around doing nothing collecting dust, feel free to donate it as a gift..to a curious old sad dogg..

:thumbsup:

Cheers Snoopy
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

The next step in your recovery:
Do what you are doing but use flutomat six hole configuration
And voila a diatonic whistle with two octaves aka " little flute"

Or you can go on longing for a free OZ...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:I am not only playing but also attempting to make my own whistles, so it is good to know about details like bore, fipple and flue size etc..and how they respond to the sound of the instrument, its all here..cool.
You asked about WhOA(D)! And you got the explanation. But Mack only hinted at the affliction which is far worse. WhIM is only the first sign of the disease. Inventing can be done through thought experiments for a while. But eventually, it will become a real MESS (Machine Envy Simplex Syndrome). That will cause some GAS (Gear acquisition syndrom) initially, which will exhibit speciifically as PTAcqSy (Power Tool Acquisition Syndrome) until you are really in some deep S&!t (Shop Hibernation Treatment). Not good!

So be warned. Whether you start buying or making whistles, it can lead to much harder stuff. And it sounds like it is too late to just say "no".

Make sure you play 'em once you make 'em. Welcome to the neighborhood.
Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:The problem could be..that now I need a OZ whistle to see how it sounds..and blows..just curious..
So if anyone has an old OZ laying around doing nothing collecting dust, feel free to donate it as a gift..to a curious old sad dogg..
Not that I would want to be known as an enabler but there is an OZ that may be collecting dust here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97317
It's not clear who would be making the donation though.

Fleadoggy
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mack.Hoover wrote: Or you can go on longing for a free OZ...
I thought my collection of one of all the whistles made was almost complete.
Now I need to search for ''free whistles''? :boggle:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Droopy the sad Dawg

Mack.Hoover wrote:The next step in your recovery:
Do what you are doing but use flutomat six hole configuration
And voila a diatonic whistle with two octaves aka " little flute"

Or you can go on longing for a free OZ...
Yes that is the direction it will go sooner or later, I did a Major pentatonic, Minor pentatonic and full Dorian scale test barrels, to see how they play , and its all interesting.

Next will be Major, Arabian and Mixolydian...and then...the chromatic..

I am just fooling around, I like to play music and play with tools and materials ..

Cheers ..
Droopy the sad Dawg

Feadoggie wrote:
Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:I am not only playing but also attempting to make my own whistles, so it is good to know about details like bore, fipple and flue size etc..and how they respond to the sound of the instrument, its all here..cool.
You asked about WhOA(D)! And you got the explanation. But Mack only hinted at the affliction which is far worse. WhIM is only the first sign of the disease. Inventing can be done through thought experiments for a while. But eventually, it will become a real MESS (Machine Envy Simplex Syndrome). That will cause some GAS (Gear acquisition syndrom) initially, which will exhibit speciifically as PTAcqSy (Power Tool Acquisition Syndrome) until you are really in some deep S&!t (Shop Hibernation Treatment). Not good!

So be warned. Whether you start buying or making whistles, it can lead to much harder stuff. And it sounds like it is too late to just say "no".

Make sure you play 'em once you make 'em. Welcome to the neighborhood.
Droopy the sad Dawg wrote:The problem could be..that now I need a OZ whistle to see how it sounds..and blows..just curious..
Not that I would want to be known as an enabler but there is an OZ that may be collecting dust here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97317
It's not clear who would be making the donation though.

Fleadoggy
Hai Feadog.

Yes the risk of getting into "harder stuff" is just something we got to deal with I guess, but its all good, its fun dont you think.

I am indeed interested in getting a nice wooden whistle, I like the sound of wood, but think I would like to have one a little bit lower then the key of D, maybe an G,A or B flat, I will take my time to look around and ask a couple of makers what they can do..

At the moment I got to be a little carefull with spending cash, since I got the HABAABIMH syndrome (hole as big as a bowlingball in my hand) but am indeed very curious how an OZ plays, I heard good trhings about them..and like good stuff.

Cheers Droop..