Chieftain Thunderbird

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Chieftain Thunderbird

Post by ubizmo »

Sirchronique wrote:On the topic of the whistle- So did he just change the outward appearance of the chieftain NR and start selling it again, basically? He says redesigned, but I'm curious what exactly was redesigned, and if there were any changes to actual sound and playability, or just appearance and comfort sort of things... Probably too early to tell, but I hope this can be answered in the future. I was just wondering if he was simply rebranding an old whistle, or if this is actually something new.
I guess it depends on the meaning of "jiggery-pokery", since that's how Phil described the modifications to the NR. Never having played the NR, I wouldn't even know what to expect. Maybe someone who owned or owns one could comment on the volume.

It seems to me that a relatively easy modification would be to widen the windway just a bit. That ought to let more air through and increase the volume. I don't know if any compensating adjustment would be needed for the blade and window.

Since Phil is responding to the V4 tour comments very quickly with the Thunderbird, I have to assume that it didn't require major retooling, just a few touches to the existing NR design.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I have to say, having listened to Phil's own video on the NR, it sounds a very different whistle.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I don't know. That sounds more like a flock of thinnerbirds.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

greenspiderweb wrote:Yep, he knows his way around a whistle, doesn't he?!
Phil's playing is a big part of what got me interested in the whistle. In fact, I'm one of these people who has "backed into" an interest in trad, from first listening to neo-Celtic, or whatever it's called. Phil's "Revisited" album is still a favorite of mine, and one of the first tunes I learned on the low whistle was "Leaving Friday Harbour", by playing along with it. He has other recording for sale on the site now, which used to be available as free downloads, and I got them all. I really hope he does more recording. From his stuff I started listening to Flook, Brian Finnegan, Cormac Breatnach, but eventually found my way to trad. I don't know if I would have if Phil's music hadn't first got my attention.

I also have to say his customer service is outstanding. I bought a V3 that sounded dodgy to me on the C nat. He told me to send it back and he'd replace it, but he clearly sent the replacement out that same day, because I got it so quickly. And in fact, it took him ages to get the one I'd returned. It had to be returned to me and re-sent; I hope he eventually got it. In any case, he was utterly gracious about the whole thing.
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

ubizmo wrote:
Sirchronique wrote:On the topic of the whistle- So did he just change the outward appearance of the chieftain NR and start selling it again, basically? He says redesigned, but I'm curious what exactly was redesigned, and if there were any changes to actual sound and playability, or just appearance and comfort sort of things... Probably too early to tell, but I hope this can be answered in the future. I was just wondering if he was simply rebranding an old whistle, or if this is actually something new.
I guess it depends on the meaning of "jiggery-pokery", since that's how Phil described the modifications to the NR. Never having played the NR, I wouldn't even know what to expect. Maybe someone who owned or owns one could comment on the volume.

It seems to me that a relatively easy modification would be to widen the windway just a bit. That ought to let more air through and increase the volume. I don't know if any compensating adjustment would be needed for the blade and window.

Since Phil is responding to the V4 tour comments very quickly with the Thunderbird, I have to assume that it didn't require major retooling, just a few touches to the existing NR design.
I find it difficult to tell how loud the 'Thunderbird' is compared with my own whistle from the video
but what I will say is the tone is similar to my 2004 NR, the wind way looks a little narrower the NR is 1.2mm
and the holes look more like the V4 than the NR. The NR has a very big, 13mm F# hole which is more central.
The more recent NRs may have different holes and spacing similar to the V3/V4.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

What's the name of the tune he's playing in that video?
Whistlin' since 2013
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

farmerjones wrote:What's the name of the tune he's playing in that video?
Captain Thunderbox, shurely.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

MTGuru wrote:All the "bird" designations for whistles are funny - blackbird, bluebird, thunderbird, lon dubh. I imagine the Thunderbird as a didgeridoo-sized whistle with a megaphone attached. Or a NAF.

I reserve The Dodo, The Albatross, and The Screech Owl for my future line of instruments ... :P

I've got 'The Funky Chicken', so hands off.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Adrian W. wrote: I've got 'The Funky Chicken', so hands off.
Well, I'm taking El Pollo Loco then.
Whistlin' since 2013