The Perfect Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The Perfect Whistle

Post by Mack.Hoover »

If one thinks one has found the perfect whistle what one has really found is the ability to compensate for whistle inconsistencies.

Compromises and whistle makers' secret skills sort of make up some (hopefully most) of the inconsistencies of the whistle
Whistlers' skills and secrets the rest (hopefully).
All of it is pure magic to holder and beholder.

The perfect whistle is the allusive dream of both maker and player.

But still we try.
We buy and sell
And R&D with hope and plea
And know quite well
Though good we get
There's someone who is better yet.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: The Perfect Whistle

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Haha, good one Mack!
Don't forget what happened to me (and is bound to have happened to others) The case where i made my first ever uilleann pipes chanter reed, in tune through both octaves, strong tone... and never to be repeated. I still can't believe it. Must be the ultimate beginner's luck.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I have a friend who decided to start making Native American-style flutes. His first three came out beautifully so he kept the same pattern and never varied it a bit. Named his line "Lucky B*st*rd Flutes."

[The C&F editing machine won't let me list the full name apparently.]

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

In my humble opinion, there is no such thing as the perfect whistle, as there is no such thing as the perfect person.
Whistles do different things for different people, so lets be thankful that all whistles are not " Perfect " as this would only satisfy a small minority of players.

wiz
sfmans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

356778 posts in 29407 topics on the C&F whistle forum.

Yep, I think we're still a bit of a way from identifying the perfect whistle :)
slowair

Post by slowair »

Perfect? No.

Lots of honorable mentions. Including a Hoover Blackcap with a two piece Clare body.

Now that was a whistle! How I miss it.

Mike
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

To quote Paul Lowe's grandmother, "perfection is boring" -- the little quirks in a whistle give it personality and differentiation. Some makers/models are (much) better than other and should be recognized as such, but I for one am glad there is no one perfect whistle or any consensus amongst us on that topic. To bastardize Twain (I got mine in, Steve), "it is the difference of opinion that makes Chiff board discussion topics."

Briant
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I've come to learn that the best whistle has characteristics that bring out the strengths in one's personal playing style.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

'Tis not whistles, only… Two hammer dulcimers made from the same tree, will have different timbres. Always. Neither is perfect. Pianos are all subtly different - even when sitting in the showroom at Steinway & Sons, in New York. None are perfect. Even relatively mass produced instruments sound and play differently: When I was young, I played French Horn. Finally got the bucks to buy one, and tried a half dozen, before I found 'my' instrument… It was not perfect… And neither was the player.

I figure that what it all means, partially depends on where one is in their musical journey. We buy whistles, we sell whistles - just like Mack says in his verse… The results after much money and many instruments change hands, is - if we are fortunate - that we find a few instruments that really suit us. And maybe one or two overall that are truly 'our' instruments. And we hold on to them, very tightly…

Cheers.
B
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The perfect whistle is the one that is in the mail, only days away from my door.

Eric
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The perfect whistle always seems to be the one somebody else is playing! As you say, it's superb musicianship which gives the illusion of perfection. Somehow when I play that same whistle it ain't so perfect!

An old friend, a professional tuba player, whose instruments cost in the tens of thousands of dollars, says "the perfect wind instrument cannot be made." Every instrument requires adjustment/compensations by the player.

With all whistles we're faced with the problem of a fixed tone-production mechanism. A whistle or recorder can never do all the things a flute, clarinet, oboe, sax, trumpet etc can do, because the tone on these is produced by human musculature, almost infinitely variable. That being the case all whistles are a bundle of compromises. Add to that the fact that different players want different things from their whistle!

For me the perfect whistle would
-play a four octave range, going as low as a contrabass flute
-have the finger spacing of a C whistle
-have a full dynamic range on every note from whisper soft to loud enough to overpower ten accordions
-be able to change timbre at will
-always play in tune regardless of poor blowing, yet be capable of bending any note anywhere
-be indestructible
-float if dropped in water
-be extremely lightweight
-be small enough to fit in the pocket, but still never get lost
-look really cool, like a 'real instrument'
-cost $10
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

pancelticpiper wrote:-be extremely lightweight
Don't forget:

- heavy enough that it never slips out of your fingers
pancelticpiper wrote:-play a four octave range
I'd settle for:

- a two octave range, with a smooth progression through that range, never shrill
- clean transition between registers on every note
- available in all keys from D4 to D5

The list I really want to see from you, Richard, is a much tougher list: what do you want the whistle to (be able to) sound like?
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Here 'tis but for a few small details
Don't float and isn't $10
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/woodwind ... controller
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

A few years ago in some music shop I spent an hour or so noodling on something like that, a Yamaha MIDI "wind controller".

It was pretty cool, because you could set it on "flute" setting and it was breath--sensitive. (It had a "reed" setting that recognized pressure on the sax/clarinet style mouthpiece.)

A simplified one of those, made to use whistle fingering, would be pretty cool.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Mac,

Thanks for this topic and particularly your first post. That may be the best topic opener I've seen on C&F.

The perfect whistle had eluded me for years until I discovered, or more accurately I finally accepted, that it's all about "horses for courses." IMHO some whistles sound better on some tunes. Some players have something to do with it too but for me, I so far have six different high D's that I favor in one way or another on certain tunes. They're all perfect you know?

I'd love to see that perfect whistle pancelticpiper described.

Thanks,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon