black and tan

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Celtoid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtoid »

I like "ballybog" too. The built-in b-b consonence gives it a nice sound, and a bit of a humor too. Gawd know we could all use more humor. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ahh....back in the good old days when we had dumb bombs and smart leaders...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Ridseard wrote: I don't think much about my heritage. .. There are similar uncertainties about such notables as Alexander Hamilton and certain others whom I shall not mention for fear of invoking some serious wrath.
Not uncertainties at all. He was often called a "Creole basmati" in his lifetime because he was born out of wedlock from a Scottish plantation master and a servant, I think. He had moral self-control issues (he had a celebrated affair with a married woman as I recall) and not everybody was sad about his demise. As far as I can tell, both he and Burr were scoundrels, pretty much.

Because Internet has made genealogy so much easier to pursue, many people seek heritage info with much less of an agenda (like trying to get into the DAR or something). Therefore, it can become a source of just plain interest and fun really. And it deflates the balloons of self-importance to realize that one adoption makes you NOT necessarily the descendant of Kings and Knights, but of some lucky opportunist with a smile on their face, perhaps.

And I still think that our current President looks way too much like Johnny Carson instead of his real daddy (even tho I know better, I think!). Nyuk.

But I liked Cran's description of being from a non-existant county. Most everything my family ever told me about our background, on both sides of my family, was basically wrong with tiny bits of truth in there. The funny part was that the truth was actually a bit more redeeming socially. I never did find a horse thief, in other words, unlike my great Aunt's assertion!
Jack

Post by Jack »

edited because I think I am being stalked
Last edited by Jack on Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I understood your post Cranberry.

I also understand that studying genetics, when it comes to the "real" world- as in breeding an actual creature- will drive you to frustration, or, once in a while- elation :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Cranberry

Where in West Virginia are you? That State's a genealogy hotbed, esp. the Eastern side. If you even have just your grandparents' names, it should be possible to learn quite a lot without much effort.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want to look and need any tips.

BTW, the German side is highly likely for anyone whose ancestors spent any time in the WV mountains.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

michael_coleman wrote:Well, it's down to Blackthorne, Ballybog or Snakebite, I'll bring it up with the group....thanks all.
I love Blackthorne, maybe because I have a small collection of blackthorn walking sticks. Actually, I meant to choose Blackthorn as my screen name here because of my collection, but my fingers tripped and typed Blackhawk instead and I hit "enter" before catching the mistake. I love the mental picture of a blackthorn stick leaning in the corner (I have one next to my computer table here), and I love the Blackthorn Stick jig, but I do agree that Ballybog has a distinct ring to it. Michael, if you pick any of those and someone jumps up at a concert and screams that their ancestor was A) hit over the head with a blackthorn stick, B) drowned in a bog near a bally, or C) bitten by a snake, I'll come down there and stand next to the stage with a sign saying "Will you folks just GET OVER IT!" :D
Jack

Post by Jack »

edited because I think I am being stalked.
Last edited by Jack on Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickt

Post by nickt »

blackhawk wrote:Michael, if you pick any of those and someone jumps up at a concert and screams that their ancestor was A) hit over the head with a blackthorn stick, B) drowned in a bog near a bally, or C) bitten by a snake, I'll come down there and stand next to the stage with a sign saying "Will you folks just GET OVER IT!" :D

Hahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I don't know if this makes any difference or not but there's already a band called Blackthorn. Henrik Norbeck of Henrik's ABC collection plays in it. Multiple bands with the same name are not unusual. Whirligig and Iona have been used more than once and Henrik's band is in Sweden.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-11382/index.html

Steve
nickt

Post by nickt »

SteveK wrote:I don't know if this makes any difference or not but there's already a band called Blackthorn. Henrik Norbeck of Henrik's ABC collection plays in it. Multiple bands with the same name are not unusual. Whirligig and Iona have been used more than once and Henrik's band is in Sweden.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-11382/index.html

Steve
There you go Michael, it's gotta be "Ballybog"!!
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I'm going to print this whole thread out and slap it down on the counter of the deli across the street. They sell -- and I'm eating -- Black and Tan: "A generous portion of our famous black bean dip and hummus." :D

Now I know why I almost got trampled by that angry leprechaun on the way in. ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Little John
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Littlejohn, perhaps 'twas a Lebaneprechon?
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Nanohedron wrote:Littlejohn, perhaps 'twas a Lebaneprechon?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've given me my first roaring laugh of the day -- something I greatly needed. May the Whistle Fairy toss an undisclosed, but quite sizeable, chunk o' change in your direction with which to satisfy a bit 'o WhOA. ...

Best,

Little John
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

At your service, Little John. :)
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

we had considers The Black and Tans for our small irish band's name but that was because one of our members is black and the rest of us are, well, you get the picture. In the end we decided against it for reasons of connotation.