The sky's the limit in the recording studio ,or not ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The sky's the limit in the recording studio ,or not ?

Post by rorybbellows »

I wouldn’t be too aware of whats out there regarding home recording equipment but I know things have certainly advanced a lot in the last ten years or so and of course with a professional recording studio there are no barriers as to what you can do.
So with that in mind how far should a piper making a solo take it ? Its common knowledge that pipers in the past would add drones and some regulator playing after the chanter playing has been recorded but I’m not aware of any recording where this has been taken any further than what the piper could play anyway.
Apart from pitch correcting and editing out bum notes , would you like to hear tasteful regulator playing along with the tune that would not be possible to perform live or things like double tracking chanter playing to add counterpoint. How about ,in one track having the drones change pitch to suit key changes ,if fact with some imagination the possibilities are endless .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The sky's the limit in the recording studio ,or not ?

Post by Calum »

I think as an in joke for those who know what's happening it can be fine, but I wouldn't go down the route of trying to be a serious musician with it. If your art is trying to have you do things the instrument can't you should take up an instrument that can keep up with you. But just having the drones slide up to a key change could be amusing....ONCE.

Someone did this on an old SSP track, splicing together A and D smallpipes to play a tune with a large range on it. Hering it for the first time makes you scratch your head, until he tips the wink by playing a throw on D on high A. Can't remember who but it was certainly clever.
islander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Post by islander »

An interesting question. If it makes the music better and "good" music is the only thing that matters when forming an opinion, then yes, it's great. But, doing complicated regulator stuff on a separate track that the piper cannot do while playing the chanter is also faking and might make people think the piper is better than he/she is in reality, so in that sense it's bad. If only the outcome and musical imagination matter, then I think it's perfectly OK to reach the goal with studio tricks.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I like listening to music that sounds good.

I can think of two nifty studio things that I've heard, both done by EJ Jones.

I have a CD where he plays a tune on both a Scottish Small Pipe and also a Highland pipe. One is panned hard left and the other hard right. It sounds really cool. I listened to it for about a week before I noticed what he had done.

The other is where he strikes in his drones through a chord change. It sounds wicked cool. I suppose that's not really a studio trick though, because he could do that live.

No one is too upset when singers overdub harmonies, or guitar players overdub solos.
john

Post by john »

there's some doubling up on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjCotOGlxYU

also, on black black black (the tune from the cran album with the same name) ronan browne overdubs regulators
john

Post by john »

ronan makes a point of having it stated that the regs were recorded separately just in case anyone were to think he was able to perform miracles I suppose
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

rorybbellows wrote:So with that in mind how far should a piper making a solo take it ?
as far as their kickstarter campaign, credit cards, 401k, and home equity loan can take them. Selling some family heirlooms could help also. Studio time can add up real fast.

PS: I wouldnt care if that piper dont have the cred & skills to do it live. if its an awesome, edgy, mind-blowing project that truly pushes boundaries & challenges my conception of what ITM and an uilleann pipe is, I;m buyin it. :thumbsup:
islander
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Post by islander »

It was a big moment for me when I listened to the last track on Na keen affair with headphones on some months ago and I realized that the regs in Rakish Paddy must have been added afterwards because they are panned very differently compared to the chanter and drones and neither leak at all on the regs track. A part of me died with that realization ;) I always thought that it was all played live.
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

The realities of a recording studio bite quite quickly. Flaws that you are willing to put up with live become simply unacceptable when you hear them through the monitors.

There's a distinction to be made between things that could be done live if you had another musician or whatever, and things that are simply physically impossible. The latter, I think, should be treated with caution. Of course if it creates something worth hearing, all well and good, but for the most part gimmicks are a dead end.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Micky Cumbaw O'Sullivan, one of the first pipers ever recorded, was appalled when the Edison Cylinder was played back to him... O'Neill says " Evidently regarding this as another instance of the devil's handiwork, he aimed several whacks of his cane at the enchanted box before he could be restrained".

Now, in reality was O'sullivan upset by the quailty of his performance or perhaps he thought the machine had stolen his music or his Soul ( as many Aboriginal peoples thought when seeing their photo portrait)....??

If much studio work is used to manipulate the performance, add double tracks etc.... could that be construde as interfering with the Soul of the Instrument?

I prefer to listen to the un-clean sounds...
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

:lol: well Rory, ten posts ( not counting this one) to expose yet another unbridgable divide. You really should try harder, man. :lol: :P :D :love:
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

islander wrote:It was a big moment for me when I listened to the last track on Na keen affair with headphones on some months ago and I realized that the regs in Rakish Paddy must have been added afterwards because they are panned very differently compared to the chanter and drones and neither leak at all on the regs track. A part of me died with that realization ;) I always thought that it was all played live.
But just because it was recorded that way (assuming it was) doesn't mean he can't play it live. They might have recorded it that way just to be able to isolate the regs in the mix. Or maybe to be able to tune them in the box. I heard him say that he didn't think any UP were ever really completely in tune.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

geoff wooff wrote:
If much studio work is used to manipulate the performance, add double tracks etc.... could that be construde as interfering with the Soul of the Instrument? Amen!

I prefer to listen to the un-clean sounds...

Me too.

I'm more of a pure drop fellow, but if it sounds good and people like it, who am I to stop them? :)

P.S: I'd love to do a recording and make an album someday. Anybody hear done it?

Maybe when I have some sort of Mid-Life Crisis.....
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

ennischanter wrote:

P.S: I'd love to do a recording and make an album someday. Anybody here done it?

Maybe when I have some sort of Mid-Life Crisis.....
I have not made an album.

But I've done some home recording and some live sound and both are a lot of work. Steep learning curve not unlike learning a musical instrument.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I've done lots of recordings over the years so I have a bit of an insight.

I admit I have recorded just chanter and regulators and then added drones to tracks at a later time.
That was due to laziness and not having the drones balanced properly on the day.
I've though of adding regulators separately but I thought it would feel natural. I may not have picked the same chords that I would have had if I was playing naturally and 'in the zone'. And if someone was to expect you to play the same thing live you'd look a bit silly when failing.

Regarding fixing bum notes and squeaks digitally, it can be done but it's very slow and painstaking. You have to expand the wave file on a screen, find the right bleep, cut it out. Then play the clip again, make adjustments and so on till it sounds clean and in time. Then you have to go through the tune and find a suitable note to fill the gap. It could take at least 30 minutes to do that. Paying studio time and engineers gets expensive so it would be faster and just better to record more takes till everyone is happy with the recording. Or just cancel the session and come back another day without the boxing gloves!

Although I know of one prominent piper who, on an album most of us have, recorded the 3 drones individually and the engineer asked what it would be like just to use the bass drone. They tried it and liked it and it's on the album. I would never have spotted it listening to the record unless the engineer told me himself.

Tommy