black and tan

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I apologize personally to Wizzer and his grandmother, I only hope he can forgive me. I'll think twice about posting again.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Mr. C, I hope that after you think twice you go ahead and post. You obviously have much to contribute and, like most other humans, a few things to learn of course. You've had a few polite suggestions and only one person launch into a tirade. Keep that in mind, my friend. You're welcome here.

Jef
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Michael

Please don't let this episode keep you from posting or make you apprehensive about posting. I'm not criticising Wizzer. Obviously this is a sorer subject for him then for some of us who's Irish ancestors came before the Civil War and for whom the Black and Tans are a disturbing but not personal historical fact.

Ne'ertheless, you've also seen the strength of this board in action here. A subject a fraught with pitfalls as Irish history came up totally out of context to your initial post. It was handled for the most part with tact and no attempt to demean or belittle and even introduced one of our British cousins to a new gustatory opportunity.

Actually, I rather enjoyed watching the interplay in the thread. It's certainly an improvement over arguing over global policy or bashing the Frogs and Huns. (Just KIDDING, guys!)
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Are there any colors that have not been used by some butcher or other?

The puce and ecru
The azure and avocado

I'm not going to let that Black and Tan bunch of butchers ruin my appreciation for one of my favorite beers...never... :o

great name for a band too Michael..but if it got me beat-up at every gig I might call it the Murderin' Black and Tan or something like that... :P then that might satisfy the historians because you would be rememberin' the past, and keeping Black and Tan too...(ok, dumb idea), and for short you could call yourself the Black and Tan and when confronted...why its the
"Murderin' Black and Tan" so folks "will never forget"..
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

What Chuck said, Mike.

It was obvious that you were referring only to the drink, and so my cautionary post. Much history has been lost to American memory (we're good for that, heh), and I myself am continually learning more -although it may never be enough- about the histories of my own varied backgrounds, histories unavailable to me from my family because my forbears wanted to shed that sort of thing.

Of course, I suspect I am descended from thugs, incompetent chicken thieves, and musicians -who whould want to own up to that? :lol:

Best,
N
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I guess I'm in Tyghress's camp here.

Yes, the AKC recoginzes the breed.
Black and Tan Coonhound is the technical name,huntin' racoon is the game. (Although coonhunters from my neck of the woods seem to prefer Redbones or Treeing Walkers(these two are not AKC recognized but are UKC recoginzed.

This is a good sized dog, has a great "voice" when treeing.
I do remember that the standard states the ear length has to be at least to the end of the nose, and preferably longer, and must be set on low(at eye level or lower.

check out www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/blkntan.cfm

When I saw the thread subject I actually thought it was about these Black and Tans. :oops:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

"Ridseard:

"I second "Snakebite" for the band name. In my neck of the woods, snakebites are usually made with Woodpecker (English cider) and Guiness."

Ridseard,

Thanks for your seconding of my suggestion! Although I have to ask what neck of the woods you live in? There seems to be a bit of a dispute on this subject: I had been happily drinking the blonde form of the snakebite and was unpleasantly surprised by the brunette you describe appearing in my glass one night. I took it up with the barman and he swore on a stack of bibles that a snakebite involved Guiness (no re-pour...tightwad!).

Needing to put this to rest, I returned to my favorite pub (the Hibernian in Raleigh, NC) and asked Colin (barman, red hair, killer accent) what the "real" snakebite was? The blond version, without hesitation. I mentioned the difference of opinion I had experienced, Colin kinda stopped for a second and said: "Well, 'e wuzzn't Eyerish wuzzee?" ;)

Anyone else want to weigh in?

PC

PS--I also requested a snakebite one night and got a shotglass full of who the hell knows what... >|-< Didn't even ask for a re-pour, just to close out my tab illico presto.
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

Whizzer,

I've been reading the posts on this thread with avid intrest, having a certain facination with Black and Tans (the carbonated form) for a few years now.

A couple of things struck me about your veiled references to physical action that might be taken against Mr. Coleman, should he and his erstwhile named band play in your area...or even your explicit pledge to protest at any of his gigs.

It's clear that he had no idea that there were any negative connotations to the name "Black and Tan", and if I had to guess, a lot of folks out there don't either. Isn't it maybe a victory for history that "Black and Tan" now just means a tasty combination of beers? Along the lines of reclaiming a pejorative word by the group at whom it is directed; actually rendering the originally meaning moot? Doesn't that in a way really deflate the sartorially-challenged thugs more than anything?

There are lots of beers called "Black and Tan" sold at lots of stores, do you smash the bottles on the shelves? Picket the storefronts? Wouldn't this be in keeping with your protesting a concert?

Also, by attacking Michael for a mistake, are you yourself not propagating the legacy of the irregular B&Ts by beating up an innocent in the name of some kind of "justice"?

Just my tuppence,

PC
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

michael_coleman wrote:I apologize personally to Wizzer and his grandmother, I only hope he can forgive me. I'll think twice about posting again.
Michael, please *don't* think twice about posting. You've already apologised adequately, you owe *nobody* a further apology. IMO, there is an apology owing and it's *to* you, not from you. Lots of us have backgrounds which in crucial respects resemble Wizzers. We're entirely satisfied with what you've already said and our cautionary remarks were all offered in friendship.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Wizzer: Quiet dear, the grownups are talking.

Michael, (and this is humor, not serious hassling), you could always call yourselves "The Group Formerly Known as the Black and Tans" or "The Guys Who Would Never Use a Name Like Black and Tans" or "The Guys Who Really, Really Hate Black and Tans" or "At Least We're Not Wizzer."
:D
Last edited by blackhawk on Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

blackhawk wrote:Wizzer: Quiet dear, the grownups are talking.

Michael, (and this is humor, not serious hassling), you could always call yourselves "The Group Formerly Known at the Black and Tans" or "The Guys Who Would Never Use a Name Like Black and Tans" or "The Guys Who Really, Really Hate Black and Tans" or "At Least We're Not Wizzer."
:lol: Priceless!
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

allezlesbleus, I'm from the Triad area, but I don't hang out in bars except when I'm in Raleigh.

I'm not a snakebite drinker myself. I've only seen it made at the Flying Saucer and one other Raleigh bar (I don't recall which), and they used Guiness, so I assumed this was standard. I'll certainly take Colin's word for it. At the Hibernian (and most other pubs) I only drink unadulterated Guiness. For all I care, they could make a snakebite out of ginger ale and Budweiser. :lol:

Do they still have the Sunday afternoon sessions at the Hibernian? Last year it was usually outstanding.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Celtoid wrote:Are there any colors that have not been used by some butcher or other?
Ain't it the truth? I still have nightmares over what my grandparents used to tell me about the bad old days when the Mauve and Chartreuse used to terrorize us in the Old Country. :D
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

"Do they still have the Sunday afternoon sessions at the Hibernian? Last year it was usually outstanding."

Ridseard,

You've found my session of choice! ;) If you've been to the Hibernian, you've probably actually heard me play...ain't it a small world?

Killer session, I've been meaning to ask Pat Sky about the Fedan whistle he is supposed to have invented.

PC
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

allezlesbleus, I'm going to be in Raleigh this Sunday. I'll probably drop by the Hibernian around three-ish. Hope to see you there. Will you be playing fiddle?