Talbert St Claire posts Low whistle videos to Youtube

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Talbert St Claire posts Low whistle videos to Youtube

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Yeah. And before anyone asks what we're on about, we're just chewing the fat, here.
Ribbing each other, as it were.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Yeah. And before anyone asks what we're on about, we're just chewing the fat, here.
Ribbing each other, as it were.
Well, we are probably at the rump end of the thread, rather than the top side, after all.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Always a customary indicator here that it's time to chuck it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thank Cod!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Seriously? Fish??
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I've always wanted to participate in one of these clever games that you guys sometimes get up to....that's all I could come up with... :) to be expected from one from Talamh an Eisc, I 'spose....but it seems that my attempt is just a pile of baloney.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Well, considering you came in cold. I'd say you made the cut.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

I was going to try to add something, but decided not to brisket.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I don't want to turn this into a roast, but I'd be remiss if I sat on my loins in this debate.

Let's look at a piece of music most everyone might know: Silent Night. If someone were to play it in a different key, or with a slightly syncopated rhythm, or perhaps even changing the melodic structure slightly, we'd all probably still recognize it. Push things a little further, and perhaps we might say "well, it sounds a little like silent night, doesn't it?" Push it even further, and the original song is lost. That's not to say that that last version is tripe, or that it should be scrappled. But it's hardly the original tune. I guess the question becomes, is the improvisation the meat and potatoes of the tune, or the gravy? It's certainly something to stew over.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

While everyone is feasting on the smörgåsbord the best part is pigging out on the ham and the low D hocks.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Sirchronique wrote:Huh? ... doesn't sound like any Scandinavian people I have heard speak.
Sorry, let me translate fearfaoin speak for you:
me wrote:For some reason, I had him pegged as Scandinavian, but...
means "I had thought he was Scandinavian, but now that I hear him speak I see that is not true."

I assume it's a standard US accent from somewhere, but I can't place it. It's not exactly Californian, it's not really stereotypical Minnesotan or Wisconsin... I can't attach a place to it, is what I'm saying.

Also, .... I don't know... something about pink slime, I guess.
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

I sold him a Kerry Pro in the last year (which he then promptly tried to flip for +$100 on ebay) -- he lives in Chicago.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Is there really a Talbert St. in Clare ?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I was just listening to Davey Spillanes's version of May Morning Dew on the low whistle, and found it here on Youtube, if anyone would like to hear it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T0O7WPKMtU

Some might like to compare it to TSC's and Sean Keane's (links given before in thread) to hear the differences. Or not.
~~~~
Barry
cboody

Post by cboody »

MTGuru wrote:
greenspiderweb wrote:Well said, cboody, and thanks for those examples of other variations on a theme. I think some people just color outside of the lines, where others need those boundaries. Nothing wrong with knowing where the lines are either, for that matter, just for reference. To me, making music is more important than what colors I choose, or lines I may blur in the process.
But that is the issue, isn't it? In order to color outside the lines - deliberately, creatively, artistically - you need to know where the lines are. And in none of Talbert's recordings does he show any indication that he knows where the lines are. Not a single "straight" dance tune or air, played in a way that demonstrates an understanding of the traditional materiel from which he purports to draw. To compare this to disciplined artists like Gould, Landowska, Segovia or Casals is a bit disingenuous. They all knew exactly where the lines are that they chose to extend.

The same can be said of great trad players known for pushing boundaries - Liz Carroll, Brian Finnegan, Natalie MacMaster, Davy Spillane, Sharon Shannon ... it's a long list. I'm a great believer in paying your dues to earn your artistic license. And without that qualification, you're literally just faking it. Some knowledgeable listeners may like the result anyway on purely aesthetic grounds, and in other cases you can fool some of the people some of the time. But to then claim, even implicitly, mastery of faking it to the point of posting "tutorials" is presumptuous to say the least.

I haven't listened to enough TSC to argue with MTG (and besides he's probably correct and would win :) ). And I certainly agree that if TSC has not produced anything to show he is aware of the boundaries he's not coloring outside the lines. Rather he is forcing his own aesthetic onto the music. That is probably a questionable practice. But...

I have to quibble just a bit with his comments about the "disciplined artists." Gould certainly knew the lines he was bending. The other three less so. Not because they lacked study, but because (1) research had not yet reached the point where the lines were clear and (2) they all came from an era when romantic interpretation was considered both appropriate and correct. Still, they did know what to do with their music and were clearly working with known boundaries that were just a bit misplaced. That is quite different as MTG notes.