Irish Music in the Movies?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
griff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Irish Music in the Movies?

Post by griff »

Using a similar idea from a mountain climbing board I frequent (actually they weren't interested in music, it was more regarding climbing, but you get the idea), does anyone want to recommend movies that feature Irish Trad music?

It was kind of interesting on the other board, although some arguments did get kind of heated; it's amazing how strongly people feel about this. :roll:

Griff
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Good idea, Griff! This could be a useful thread for those of us who like to keep lists of movies to rent.

Two that I'll get out of the way first, that people mention a lot:

The Secret of Roan Inish
Waking Ned Devine

And I'll put in my plug for The Last of the Mohicans (1992), which some people might nitpick as more orchestral.

Cara

P.S. You will undoubtedly get more responses on the whistle board, if you post there. It's not exactly a new topic, but I think there are a lot of new members who would enjoy the discussion.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

just saw DVD of The Road to Perdition.
Even has an Irish session going on during one of the wakes! (see the additional deleted scenes and you'll see more)

not to mention (ugh!) Titanic
and ever-faithful The Quiet Man
Wizzer

tunes in film

Post by Wizzer »

Barry Lyndon (1975) staring Ryan O'Neal

Directed by
Stanley Kubrick

The first half has some great tunes but it a long flic over 3 hours
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I rented Barry Lyndon just for the music... I wish I hadn't. I like Kubrick but that movie needed editing. The torture of finishing the movie was too much just to hear a few snippets of "Women of Ireland."
"The Field" starring Richard Harris and Tom Beringer had great music.
Has anybody heard about the movie Lunasa is supposedly scoring/accompanying?
Cheers,
Aaron
Steven

Post by Steven »

Seamus Egan (of Solas fame) played the music in The Brothers McMullen. It's a pretty good movie, too, as I recall....

:-)
Steven
john

Post by john »

Cran (with ronan browne & desi wilkinson) appear for a few seconds in Agnes Browne (with angelica huston)

Owen Duignan (piper from Kerry) appears in a film with brendan gleeson and mia farrow called angela mooney dies again
gan-ainm

Post by gan-ainm »

I seem to recall there's a brief, but authentic-looking (Australian) session scene in Peter Weir's apocalyptic "The Last Wave"
piedpiper

Post by piedpiper »

Treasure Island(with C&F's own Charley Heston :lol: ), one of the movies the Chieftains scored. The score is awesome as is the movie by the way.
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

somewhere there is a website that has um all listed. i remember accidently running aross it but can't remember where :-? :party:
griff

Post by griff »

:thumbsup: Thanks for all of the replies. I've been watching quite a few movies of late as I recover from an injury, so I'm always looking for new ones that "sound" good (pun intended).

I will add my vote for "Waking Ned Devine". It wasn't a very deep or intense movie, but parts certainly made me laugh. There was enough music there that part way through it made me want to stop and play my flute for a bit then open a Guiness and watch the rest. Of all the movies I've seen, that one has the most Irish trad music. Having been reminded, I think I'll get it again.

Griff