wood whistles that sound like a recorder

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michel
antispam: No

wood whistles that sound like a recorder

Post by Michel »

hi all

I am looking to buy a couple of wood whistles (in D and C). I will use them to play traditional Italian music, not Irish music, so the closer the sound it's to a recorder, the better it is for my purposes.
Any reccomendation besides Jon Swayne?

thks in advance

Michel
sfmans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: wood whistles that sound like a recorder

Post by sfmans »

Try Phil Bleazey's whistles, http://www.bleazey.co.uk/.

They're far too much like a recorder tone for me (not anything wrong with that per se, but if I wanted recorder tone I'd play my recorders) ... so they should be just what you're after!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Having owned a couple of Bleazeys, a couple of Swaynes, and a Rose, the Rose is by far the most recorder like. Among the Bleazeys and Swaynes, one of each was kind of recordery and one of each was definitely very chiffy. Fred Rose has a reputation for consistently very pure-sounding whistles. Once for fun I had my wife listen out of sight outside the room I was playing in, and played the same tune on the Rose whistle and a Moeck recorder. She said the recorder sounded more like a whistle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Thank you for the tip. I had in the past a little G flute made by Bleazey and it wasn't bad at all!
I understand what you mean but I'd just like to have the sound of a recorder and the fingering of a whistle.
How would you compare it to a Swayne whistle?
Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Chas, just noticed now your post. Very useful bit of information, thanks. Does Rose have a waiting list? And does he make other pitches (C?).

Thanks beforehand
m
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Michel wrote:hi all

I am looking to buy a couple of wood whistles (in D and C). I will use them to play traditional Italian music, not Irish music, so the closer the sound it's to a recorder, the better it is for my purposes.
Any reccomendation besides Jon Swayne?

thks in advance

Michel
Buy a recorder.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Well, a recorder has a different fingering which won't work for me as I can't use the same finger work that I use with a whistle, so it's not an option for me.
Anyway I appreciate your no-nonsense way of thinking :D
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Fred Rose's website is http://www.fredrose.co.uk/ , and it has an email link.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ggunner

Post by ggunner »

Just an update on Fred Rose whistles. I contacted him about a month back and he has about a 6 month waiting list and more importantly his price has increased substantially from what's shown on his website. Current price is in the neighborhood of 287 pounds sterling making his whistles comparable in price and current wait time to a Chris Abell whistle. So someone considering one of Fred's whistles would be well-advised to contact him to get his current price and wait time.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

You might want to try and find another one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Rosew ... 4618d538f4
I bought a plastic version and it's great, really "recorder-like" but with six-hole-whistle fingering :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

'Plays and sounds lovely - the rosewood sound really shines through.'

Probably stained pear!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Michel wrote:Well, a recorder has a different fingering which won't work for me as I can't use the same finger work that I use with a whistle, so it's not an option for me.
Anyway I appreciate your no-nonsense way of thinking :D
You're welcome :-)
Surely learning slightly different fingering won't be that much of a problem?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

hoopy mike wrote:Surely learning slightly different fingering won't be that much of a problem?
For a player of Michel's caliber, I'm sure you're right. But reproducing the touch and ornamentation of his well-oiled simple system finger habits with the twisty cross-fingerings of a recorder is an exercise in frustration, perhaps terminal, for player and listner alike. Not to mention the different register crossover. So the request makes sense to me. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi Michel,

Get a D whistle, and fill the sound-window with some kind of putty to make the window about 7 to 7.5 mm wide.
It will then sound a bit like a recorder.

Hope this helps!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I recently bought an older Ronaldo Reyburn Low D whistle which has a big maple-wood head on a brass body, and it has a remarkable wonderful dark full tone, perhaps more like the tone of a Recorder than any other Low D which I've tried.

So I don't think you need an all-wood whistle to get that sort of sound.

It has the ordinary six holes of Irish whistles and uses ordinary Irish whistle fingering.

I used to have a Ralph Sweet high D whistle back around 1980 that was all-wood, Rosewood, and it sounded very much like a Renaissance Recorder.

Good luck! Richard

If you go to this site

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movie.php?groupID=46

and scroll down to the Chieftan V-4 video, at 6:34 he plays the Reyburn Low D with the big maple head and brass body. You can hear how lovely it sounds. However note that he's intentionally making high B break on that whistle and on the MK he plays afterward; in fact the Chieftan V-4 breaks exactly like that too (I know, because I had the Cheiftan V-4 AND a Reyburn like that AND an MK like that and was able to compare them). Any Low D's high B will fall to the low octave if you want it to.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle