Rudall alert!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
flutefry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Re: Rudall alert!

Post by flutefry »

I have a R+R with a pewter plug for the Eb key, number 2883, so it wouldn't surprise me if the one with the Wilkes head is in that ballpark. Mine is another lovely, responsive player.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

serial numbers shown...
I thought the deco silver band was made in the '30 but turns out was '40 instead.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Amazing, that all the Rudall's went unsold! The Pask went for a good price! Anyone on C&F get it?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

There's still 12, resp. 14 hours left to bid on two of the Rudalls, but they probably won't sell either as the starting prices are too high for these kind of flutes.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I think the starting prices are very reasonable. Look at the Pask result. Also the ridiculously low result for the amazing gold & silver modern late RC Böhm flute. These two remaining flutes are worth way more than those prices and anyone buying them at close to those prices is getting a bargain. One of them has an additional Wilkes head worth the best part of £1k in itself!

Also, bear in mind these are fully refurbished (by Wilkes), ready to play instruments from a reputable source. They're not auction room or attic find items in pot luck condition needing overhaul.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

yep, prices are almost 1/2 of expected.
the 11(?) Keys rudall have a smaller number of interested people as it won't be the best for folk musicians (imho).

the later R&R (4185) seems to have a not original embouchure, maybe made by Mr Wilkes himself?
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I agree the 11-key B foot one wouldn't appeal to most here for ITM use (not that it wouldn't do the job!) so I wasn't surprised it didn't sell. As for the lowest start-price one, the one with the silver lip band, I see no reason from the photo to surmise the embouchure has been bushed and recut. That flute is actually the one I would expect to be the best of the three for ITM. I note it has an upturned long F touch so the R hand piece/tone-holes would need to be turned out relative to the L hand à la Nicholson.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:I agree the 11-key B foot one wouldn't appeal to most here for ITM use (not that it wouldn't do the job!) so I wasn't surprised it didn't sell. As for the lowest start-price one, the one with the silver lip band, I see no reason from the photo to surmise the embouchure has been bushed and recut. That flute is actually the one I would expect to be the best of the three for ITM. I note it has an upturned long F touch so the R hand piece/tone-holes would need to be turned out relative to the L hand à la Nicholson.
I must admit, I really liked the look of that one with the silver embouchure band. If I didn't have a bit of a flute glut, I'd have been interested in that one.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

If I didn't already have my Bb foot one, the B foot would have been sorely tempting. Still is, really, but couldn't possibly justify trying to find the money just to collect......... If I was flush, I'd probably......... :tomato: :waah:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Honestly, I'm surprised the Pask didn't go for higher.

Pask is considered by those who have played them to be the finest of the 8key antique flutes ever made in the prime years.

I've played one and they are quite incredible.

Not to mention they're availability is very very rare.
I believe only 1 has come up on eBay in the last several years.

And i've not-yet seen one in the auction houses.

Whomever won it got it for a very fair price IMHO (assuming it's in the playing and aesthetic condition noted).
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

#2008(?) with B foot = £2500 GBP
#500 with Eb plug and additional Wilkes head = £1610 GBP
#4185 with inscribed silver lip plate = £1300 GBP
Mark
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

I was surprised the two Rudalls that sold today did not go for higher prices. I do not know Seb Knight and notice he has had a lot of Ebay transactions, so maybe it is very presumptuous of me to say this, but I would think he might have done better if he had given some more information about them. And saying you are selling a flute before you have even gotten it back from Chris Wilkes had to have caused some people to wonder. Why not wait a week and then list it as "just overhauled by none other than Chris Wilkes." I don't mean to be critical of the seller who I gather is known to some of you and am thinking he is probably a very honest man with a love of antique flutes and I certainly wish him well. I just wonder if others agree it helps to give better descriptions. For example, was the embouchure on the silver plated one recut. Jem thought not and he knows an awful lot about flutes, but wouldn't Seb and Chris be in the best position to answer that for sure? I don't know. I would have bid on one or the other at those prices, but somehow neither seemed quite right for me and I just was not sold.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Listing them all at the same time, providing self-competition, can't have helped to boost the yield. One might speculate at an urgent need to realise funds and the "priced to sell" starting prices would fit with that, but I don't know Mr. Knight and have no knowledge beyond what he wrote on eBay. He certainly could have done better listings.......

Bottom line is that only one of the 5 flutes he put up achieved anything like a decent value and one didn't sell at all, so far as I saw (the B foot 11-keyer).

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

jemtheflute wrote:Listing them all at the same time, providing self-competition, can't have helped to boost the yield. One might speculate at an urgent need to realise funds and the "priced to sell" starting prices would fit with that, but I don't know Mr. Knight and have no knowledge beyond what he wrote on eBay. He certainly could have done better listings.......

Bottom line is that only one of the 5 flutes he put up achieved anything like a decent value and one didn't sell at all, so far as I saw (the B foot 11-keyer).
He did the same thing several years ago, I remember Andrew thinking it was a very bad idea then. I bought a Valentine Metzler in boxwood and silver from him years ago... I guess if the wolves are at your door, you have to do what you have to do!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Sebnight also has a couple of concertinas up for auction, and indicates a possible medical reason for the sale.